Canvas Dog Bed/cushion

Rileys mum

Im wondering if anyone knows of a company that makes canvas (as in thick, ripstop, horse rug canvas material) dog beds. Not the sling type beds but cushion beds with filling inside.

I have two GSP's who lovingly destroy any soft material and despite me putting about 5 wool blankets out for them to cuddle into, they tear them into tiny pieces and end up with no bedding...apparently wool blankets make the bestest tug toys ever.

I am wanting a tough bed that they can still lay on and get some warmth from.

Any ideas??

Im wondering if anyone knows of a company that makes canvas (as in thick, ripstop, horse rug canvas material) dog beds. Not the sling type beds but cushion beds with filling inside.

I have two GSP's who lovingly destroy any soft material and despite me putting about 5 wool blankets out for them to cuddle into, they tear them into tiny pieces and end up with no bedding...apparently wool blankets make the bestest tug toys ever.

I am wanting a tough bed that they can still lay on and get some warmth from.

Any ideas??

Hi,

I had the same problem and I invested in two kuranda dog beds, I got them from www.kennelsolutions.com.au and they're marvellous and completely unbreakable/untearable in my experience. We used to have these beds inside, and the pooches loved them; now we use them as outdoor beds. But they don't have filling in them unfortunately.

In terms of beds with fillings, I've heard the snooze d1000 beds are tough, but I don't have any experience with them. I think most beds with filling will end up being torn. Do you want the beds for indoor or outdoor use?

I also think sometimes dogs grow out of these behaviours, I guess it depends how old your GSPs are.

We recently got a Purina Petlife bed for George. It looks like this

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=purina+petlife+bedding+system&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=w4x&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&channel=np&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=ocLEtacpkkFRHM:&imgrefurl=http://www.ozdogbeds.com.au/purina-lounger-chew-resistant-dog-bed.html&docid=_vIOQX-rmIsWkM&imgurl=http://cdn.ozdogbeds.com.au/media/catalog/product/cache/38/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/l/o/lounger_silver_handle_view.jpg&w=1100&h=660&ei=QYXET9fUNKLgmAWop63UCg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=331&sig=102392988331577533210&page=1&tbnh=86&tbnw=144&start=0&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:22,s:0,i:117&tx=116&ty=73&biw=1366&bih=570

It is supposed to be chew and odour resistant. The outer covering is easy to take off and wash.

Here's Georgia trying it out.

post-15010-0-21252400-1338279495_thumb.jpg

It's nice and snuggly but you still need to put some blankets over it though as i think the canvas material is quite cold. I guess it depends on the type of dog you have though.

ETA Ours isn't the one in the link, ours is the newer model.

This might be a better link.

http://www.petlife.com.au/dog-bedding-solutions/

Edited by perrin

Thanks for those ideas. ill have a look at them.

I need them for outside and yeah im praying its a behaviour that they grow out of. They are both still very young. 2 years old and 10 months old. Still babies, especially for GSP's. They do get 30 mins off leash runs morning and night but its just not enough to entertain them all day long i think...hence the grand tug toy joy occurs. Ive spent a small fortune on toys to rotate but the wool wins every single time :) I was hoping a really tough outer shell might just deter them as the soft ones they manage to get through in 5 seconds flat.

I just wish i could tell them "if you tear up your bedding you will be cold" hehe. Silly kids. I guess if playing with bedding is the worst thing they do then im pretty damn lucky.

My puppy loves the Snoozas we have at work so I bought one for her and within 2 hours she had the zipper broken. Luck for us Snooza beds have a guarantee so It only cost $13.00 plus return postage.

She still comes to work with me and happily sleeps on the Snooza but I am not game yet to trust her with one at home.

She needs to earn a bed here.

Great rugs make canvas covered cushions they also make them to order :)

Great Rugs

we also have Snooza D1000 beds and they have stood up to everything our dogs dish out.

I second the recommendation for canvas beds from Great Rugs :thumbsup: . My boy ripped up all previous mats/beds prior to the Great Rug ones, the current ones are about 18-20 months old and still going strong :) :D

Easy to wash and keep clean as well :)

I have a Great Rugs bed which is 12 years old and going strong. I asked them to make me another one and have high hopes it will go as long!

For my destructo fiends anything else is a waste of $s.

Meea

Snooza are excellent value and they have replacement wareanties. They're very tough as well (which is probably why they're game enough to offer their replacement warranty) and they're VERY comfy. I got in my dog's bed when I brought it home and it was more comfy than my couch, it was AMAZING! Thy should do a bean-bag line for people, haha!