What Age Do Medium Sized Dogs Become Fully Grown?

In december we rescued an ACD cross (Kelpie or Koolie) when we adopted him we were told he was 5 months old. We've noticed in the last 6 months that he hasn't grown a bit since we got him, he weight has been stable apart from a bit of weight loss when we brought him home, he hasn't gotten any taller either, when we got him he could just fit under Lexi's belly, and he is still the same height now

We've started thinking that maybe he was older than they thought he was when we got him, does it seem right that a dog of this size should finish growing at 5 months old?

Height wise they can stop growing anywhere from 6-18 months but it is usually around 10-12 months. I have definitely seen BCs that have stopped at 6 months though. They are often very big babies that look like they will be huge and then they just stop.

I think it's hard to tell once they get to about 12 months old.. The pound told us our staffy boy was 12 months old and when the vet checked him out, he said no way... His testicles hadn't dropped and his canine teeth were down all the way, so we estimated he was actually only about 6 months old.

The same with a kelpie cross foster guy we had, the pound said he was just 12 months but the vet thought he was much older, so we changed his estimated age to 18 months..

Your guy is gorgeous. Maybe he was older than thought to be as he hasn't grown much while you have had him.

He is most definightly Heeler but the mix could be the hard part to pick out.

We had a Heeler/Koolie mix and as far as we knoew he took on the Koolie temperment.

This was that he was happy just being with himself, no matter what we had done to get him to join us.

He stands at about the 50cm mark now at 1 year old and his weight is around the 24 to 25 kilo mark.

We think he is at his full height now but we also think he has got a little more filling out to go.

Just done some checking and Murphy is at the height and weight for the standard.

And he is 1 year old but is slow to really develop. He is always gettinginto trouble.

but believe me when he is grown up you will notice. Thing will only have to be said once and he will do it right away.

Our last heeler was so good that we forget this boy is still growing up.

So don't push to hard let him have his puppyhoon to a degree that is.

Nope, only head shots...mostly while sleeping :laugh:

This is the one that the RSPCA had on his profile (Dec 2011)

403018_10150463517748025_1982815484_n.jpg

Last week

541299_10150843065148547_1234637972_n.jpg

I have got a video of him that a friend put on my fb...but I have no idea how to post it on here

Any idea how old that pic was from the RSPCA - ie. How long had he been in care? He has a full set of bottom teeth... but whether they are baby or adult I don't know, maybe someone else could guess that. At 5 months I would expect a mixture of baby and adult teeth, but his seem to be all the one size. His legs do seem longer now though - but it could be the camera angle, he appears to be quite puppyish in the RSPCA photo - his pasterns have straightened up too.

The RSPCA picture it looks to me that he has got his adult teeth but it really is hard to see.

Though I am thinking that they might only be that 1 month area, so I am thinking by this picture he might have been about the 6 to 8 month old area.

But I could very well be wrong to.

Still having the stitches makes no difference to telling his age as they do this to all dogs before rehousing them.

Well they do here anyway. So to me this isn't telling us much more at all sorry.

If we put our boys together there would be a big difference in their actuall body sizes.

Think GG means that they just got him in and de-sexed straight away, so they wouldn't of had him long. I asked how long they had him because if the photo was a month or two old then it wouldn't help with trying to work out his age.