Not Itchy Or Raw...what Is It?

Hi everyone! 2 of my 5 dogs have developed a strange skin issue. First let me just say, they have been to our vet a couple of times & we are slowly trying to work out what is causing the alleged allergy.

They are not itchy, nor is the skin looking red or irritated. They have tiny, I'm talking smaller than your pinky nail, dry areas. One they appear more on his sides, the other is towards his tail & back legs. In some places where it's extra dry, tiny clumps of hair fall out.

There are zero fleas (my girl is allergic so I'm very strict on keeping fleas at bay) and they get fed excellent food.

I guess my question is, has anyone seen this?

Ringworm is not highly contaigous. It is spread by contact with infected hairs but just because you hold an animal with ringworm does not necessarily mean you will be infected.

I have had kittens with ringworm and handled them and not been infected. My dog had reasonable contact with them and she wa snot infected either.

If your dogs have close contact frequently (sleep together etc) then it would be more unusual for a contaigous disease to only be present in 2 of them.

Other causes of focal hair loss could be demodex and sarcoptes (scabies). I'm sure your vet is looking into other causes as well.

Skin scrapes and/or treamtent trials (for sarcoptes) are required to diagnose demodex and sarcoptes.

A fungal culture of a hair is gold standard for diagnosis of ringworm, however a wood's lamp (UV light) can be diagnostic for up to 50% of cases as additionally a trichogram may show dermatopyhytes on examination (hair examined under a microscope)

We went back to the vet and it's definitely not any of the above suggestions.

It's so weird that only 2 of the 5 dogs have it and all but one sleep together every night and are together all day.

We are switching to a hollistic food to see if that helps - the vet still thinks its an allergy to something...poor babies :(