Just Volunteered To Foster

Good on you.

My best tips are just ask lots of questions, make sure you understand what the organisation expects of you and what you can expect in the way of support from them. There is no such thing as a dumb question because if you don't ask you won't know.

If you have problems try to solve them in house with the organisation. DOL is great for advice but always talk to your coordinator first as each organisation will have their own rules and ways of doing things.

Set things up for your foster as you intend them to be. Be firm but fair with your rules but understand it is a very stressful time for your foster animal and they are on as fast a learning curve as you are.

Oh and we need photos :D

I think my biggest learning curve was expecting the foster dogs to behave like my dogs did..

They don't, they are often stressed from being in the pound, then being desexed (if needed), being handled by so many different people..

I think some handle it better than others but it takes a week, often more before most start to relax.

Ask lots of questions.. If you have a mentor within your foster group, they are the best person to go to..

The manual that T posted is awesome...

Mostly, just enjoy your fosters while you have them...

I tend to foster pups under 6 months old because that's what my current pack prefers - and I find them a lot easier to assimilate into our structure here. I'll take on singles or whole litters or even a few pups from different litters together.

Here's a hint - your best ever investment will be a large cage crate - they are perfect for keeping new fosters from eating the house while you sleep... *grin*... I have a few set up, usually in my bedroom and lounge room where they can feel part of the pack but still be secure from chewing on things while you can't physically supervise.

... and the best toy on the planet is a used toilet roll - destructible and digestible... hehehe!

T.

The lady I spoke to has said she will give me puppies as well, under 12 months as she knows that my own girl's happiness is important.

I also have a spare crate, a million toys, and can remember what a destructive pup is like :-)

Good on you Lisey! I foster for Ams who has posted above. She is bloody brilliant to foster for!

Like has been said start with the dogs how you want to continue from the minute they step in the door of your house. Your dog will love some of the dogs you bring home, will be indifferent to others and may even hate the sight of one or two. Having routine and rules for the foster dog from the get go is useful for you and your own dog and I think it helps the new dog settle quicker and understand you are the pack leader and that you will keep it safe and its belly full.

I find it is really easy to find something to love about every foster dog and I see it as my job to nurture that dog and bring out its best while it is with me. I want to turn around its fear or reluctance so it can go into its forever home with confidence and excitement. I like to also try and identify its weaknesses and see if I can address them. Sometimes a dog isn't with you long enough to fix/change everything but at least it is on its way and you can pass on what you have been doing to the adopter in case they wish to continue with it.

The other thing I do which is probably different to other foster carers is that I give the foster dog a massage when it is sleepy (usually at night in front of the tv). I start from the first night and I want them to become comfortable with my touch as well as feel pleasure. It doesn't take long before you are going from massaging a tight ball of fur to one all stretched out wanting you to do their belly area. This helps when you have to check them over and medicate eyes or ears and trim toe nails - they don't fear your hands. And I talk to my foster dogs a lot and I use their name when I do it.

Currently playing phone tag - but from what I can make out on my voicemail I will have my first foster pretty soon! A young male staffy for just 3 days :)

Excited and nervous at the same time!

Stick to your routine, speak to him regularly in a kind voice and use soft hands on him anytime you do have to touch him and he will settle in. Some dogs take time to overcome whatever trauma they have been through. I never know whether it is worse for strays who were stuck in a cage in the pound or for those who were surrendered by owners they adored. There is so much they don't understand but dogs are resilient and quick to accept their new circumstances.

Give Damon a kiss and a hug for me.

This is Damon - he got dropped of to me last night, he is a real sweetheart, very cuddly, but also quite lost...

How is Damon today? :) I hope he's going well. I'm also about to become a first time foster carer - submitted my application to AWDRI the day before yesterday and will have my yard checked some time this week!

Look forward to following your progress.

He is settling in, but is quite upset everytime I leave him, which I can understand, as he was surrended by his family & must be very confused. We went for a walk today & he was not too bad on the halti & he met my girl stafford on the walk & they walked back home side by side which is a good first step. He is slowly coming out of his shell :-) I don't think he had played in a clam shell pool before, he discovered it last night, very tentative with the first paw but then loved it. Was trying to catch the water & having a great time. A bit too much fun though as he went in again at 7am this morning & it's freezing! I dried him off & he jumped back! Lol