Extremely Important Issue

Beauie

I can't work out what it is that some of you want from the ANKC? You want the dogs in question to be de-registered? You want compensation?

I would be wanting a system in place to make sure it can't happen again, because the past can't be undone. DNA profiling stops this sort of thing happening.

I can't speak for the others but think these dogs should be placed on the limit register.

If the seller has made false representations it's a civil matter. It's not up to DogsVic to try and make it better and they should never have tried in the first place. Letting it get this far has made it much harder for them to deal with than if they'd bitten the bullet way back when it first arose.

Along with DNA testing I suggest they put a disclaimer on registration papers saying that if it is discovered that the pedigree has been registered on the basis of false information supplied by the breeder/s, the main register status may be withdrawn.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dogs should not be registered with the blank for an unknown sire. Period. This is no different than any registered breeder having an accidental mismate resulting in crossbred pups and no ethical breeder would expect to register them. Nor would any canine body register dogs with unknown sires.

There should be compensation - or rather a refund of purchase price to purchasers of the dogs. If the breeders feel poorly treated they should apply for compensation from the VCA.

What better way of making sure it doesn't happen again than preventing it happening this time. It's easy to say move on, it's in the past. But to the people who have been fighting this for 5 years and the purchasers it is very much here and now.

All the checks and balances, improved systems whatever cannot stop someone from falsifing records should they be of an ilk to do so. Only mandatory DNA parentage testing could prevent the substitution of Sire and Dams names on Registration forms. Surely, it hasn't come down to that yet. At his stage, as in the past it is still up to the integrity and honesty of those who are breeding for the betterment of their breed and not just the money from pups and stud fees.