Club Suggestions - Se Melbourne

Hi All,

I'm looking for club suggestions in SE Melbourne, but I'm willing to travel and hour or two to go to the right place. I already train at some great places, but I'm looking for new distractions.

My "must have" criteria:

* A club that puts safety first. That is, no off lead dogs roaming around during class/as you arrive(this rules out the nearest one to me, in Bentleigh, sigh).

* A club that doesn't force dogs to say "hello" to each other. In fact, I want a club that instructs people not to approach others without asking permission first.

* A club that is happy to let me "do my thing" (eg tug) on the side as long as I don't disturb any one.

* Where instructors are respectful that I have a fearful dog and will give her the space that she needs if I ask for it. I do push her a lot, but I want to do it on our terms.

* A club that won't force me to correct my dogs. I know how I want to train them. I use a club as a place for distractions only.

There are many other things I want in a club, but I can work around the "nice to haves". Does my club exist? My girl can be FA, however it is very well managed and she works in a controlled environment very well (I work her off leash around other dogs with no issues).

I haven't signed onto DOL for ages, and just got on today to ask the exact same thing. For now I might just train my dog near our old obedience club on training days, so that I can work on desensitising her to other dogs. She's the opposite of FA though, as she has too high a positive value for other dogs.

I'd eventually like her to become a therapy dog, and compete in agility.

I have no suggestions myself, but will be following your post with interest :)

Megan & Hippo Westernport Club train at Kcc Park on Sun mornings, they damm near fit the requirement you both are looking for, why dont you come down & have a look & chat to us instructers :D

Croydon fits most of your requirements but it is a very busy club so not sure if it will be too much for her.

Dogs aren't allowed offlead unless doing recalls or similar or agility. If a dog doesn't do a recall they are back on lead for 4 weeks.

People are told to ask first before saying hello to other dogs, but obviously some ignore this. There is a 'hello' session as part of most lessons. I hope this would be well controlled by the instructors. This is often just the dogs walking randomly around.

Tugging would be fine.

She would be given a yellow bandana to wear so people would know to give her space.

Aim is for positive training.

If you can pass the Basic 2 straight away then it would be even better for you as you could go into various advanced classes.

Agree with julesp, croydon is fantastic. I know I always give dogs with a yellow bandana a very very wide berth and it seems most other ppl do too (will always be the occasional person who doesn't get it!)

We are encouraged from day one to use both treats and toys :) only dogs that have passed basic two are allowed offlead during agility and the occasional obed exercise :)

Megan & Hippo Westernport Club train at Kcc Park on Sun mornings, they damm near fit the requirement you both are looking for, why dont you come down & have a look & chat to us instructers :D

I had this crazy idea that KCC Park was ridiculously far away. Google maps says it's 20 minutes away :D I will come have a pokesie around this Sunday then! Thanks for the suggestion.

The Eagle Heights website says they're fully booked though? I like training with the IPO/schnutzhund folk in Vic. We train with them once a month at the moment.

We are training the schutzhund (sp) style tracking, even though they'll never be allowed to compete in schutzhund (sp again). They are loving it.

Edited by megan_

I had this crazy idea that KCC Park was ridiculously far away. Google maps says it's 20 minutes away :D I will come have a pokesie around this Sunday then! Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Hippo I will not be there this Sun :( as I will be trialing in Geelong with 4 of our dogs 1 in Obedience & 3 in Rally but if you see Jenny or Janine ( Janine will have a GSP or a Schnauzer with her) we like to work with you & the dog & we like to be family freindly, the club rooms are at the back of the grounds, you will see a lot of Shepherds there (that will be the Shepherd club), we train between the back of the Pavilion & the dams. :) Jenny & Janine are normally there about 9-930am training starts with Companion Dog class at 10am, Certificates start about 11.15am till about high noon :D

Hi Hippo I will not be there this Sun :( as I will be trialing in Geelong with 4 of our dogs 1 in Obedience & 3 in Rally but if you see Jenny or Janine ( Janine will have a GSP or a Schnauzer with her) we like to work with you & the dog & we like to be family freindly, the club rooms are at the back of the grounds, you will see a lot of Shepherds there (that will be the Shepherd club), we train between the back of the Pavilion & the dams. :) Jenny & Janine are normally there about 9-930am training starts with Companion Dog class at 10am, Certificates start about 11.15am till about high noon :D

I will keep an eye out. Please tell Jenny & Janine to look out for a lost woman with a wiggly bottomed blue heeler x :)

Hi Murve,

Just saw this now. We trained at a private club last Sunday and will be doing so again this Sunday. But I'll try to come down the Sunday after that!

Hi Megan we do Trialing training on tues nights at Kcc Park in the Pavilon :)