Vietnam Veterans March - Guest Of Honor Private Sarbi

Inevitablue

My father is one of the organiser's for the Blue Mountains Vietnam Veterans Association march. On Christmas day just gone we were discussing how they were struggling to get a VC recipient as guest of honor this year, and as a crazy idea we thought of honoring dogs of war.

This march is looking to be the biggest one yet, and I'm posting so if anyone is interested.

Private Sarbi (of the book Saving Private Sarbi) and her handler Sargent "D" are the main guests along with around 16 EDD dogs from the Holsworthy Barracks. There will be the usual mounted police, a caribou fly over and festivities.

The details are -

August 19

Springwood, Blue Mountains. The main street will be closed from 10:30 onwards. Parade starts at 11.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a review of the day

We didnt get the number of dogs we were hoping for but it was still a great day. Very sad to hear the sorrow of handlers from Vietnam who had to leave their dogs behind.

The Hotel owner opened his doors to all the dogs and I think the labs thought it was heaven with all the food being passed around :laugh:

Great work! I was talking to a bloke today at the dogs nsw day (I think he had mastiffs?) who told me Stevie looked like Sarbi and thought I wouldn't know who Sarbi is! He said when he was in Vietnam the Sarge asked for anyone who knew anything about dogs. He put his hand up and was sent to clean kennels, but ended up working with the tracker dogs in a special unit. He wants to get Sarbi and another dog to an Anzac day show next year.

ETA Sarbi went AWL and still got two medals? Or was she a deserter?

Edited by Katdogs

Great work! I was talking to a bloke today at the dogs nsw day (I think he had mastiffs?) who told me Stevie looked like Sarbi and thought I wouldn't know who Sarbi is! He said when he was in Vietnam the Sarge asked for anyone who knew anything about dogs. He put his hand up and was sent to clean kennels, but ended up working with the tracker dogs in a special unit. He wants to get Sarbi and another dog to an Anzac day show next year.

I thought she was a POW :laugh:

I know! That's what I said :laugh: She went AWOL, defected to the enemy, then gets 'arrested' by the US and carted back to the Aussie base.

The battle she was in was one of the fiercest Australia has seen over there, she tried to come back to the base but an Afghani soldier shoo'd her away and then mentioned it to the Aussie soldiers days later that he might have shoo'd the wrong dog away. She did attempt to come back :)

Edited by Inevitablue