Garlic

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

My research showed that it was ok in small doses but whats a small dose for a 2-3kg dog?

I wouldn't like to play that roulette :(

An excerpt from the link I posted:

For garlic, five grams of whole cloves per kilogram body weight is considered risky to dogs. Five grams is about one teaspoon is about one clove. Vidalia would need to eat twenty-three cloves of garlic. As you can see, the risk to medium to large dogs is relatively low. Even a small cat like Scampi probably won't like raw garlic enough to eat a toxic portion.

Where we can get into trouble is when we combine concentrated materials with small patients. Scampi might not eat half a raw onion, but might lick up the dregs of that beef stew you made that's chock full of sautéed onions. A little dog might not bother with a raw bulb of garlic, but might devour that jar of minced garlic in olive oil you inadvertently left open within reach. How about that box of dried onion soup mix? Or the garlic or onion powder? Drying and grinding does not lessen the toxicity, and these products may be hidden in places you wouldn't think of. There are reported cases of cats developing hemolytic anemia from eating baby food flavored with onion powder.

Visiting Veterinarian

Hold the spices, please

By Michele Gerhard Jasny V.M.D. - February 1, 2007

ETA Source of quote!

Edited by trifecta

Guest lavendergirl

An excerpt from the link I posted:

For garlic, five grams of whole cloves per kilogram body weight is considered risky to dogs. Five grams is about one teaspoon is about one clove. Vidalia would need to eat twenty-three cloves of garlic. As you can see, the risk to medium to large dogs is relatively low. Even a small cat like Scampi probably won't like raw garlic enough to eat a toxic portion.

Where we can get into trouble is when we combine concentrated materials with small patients. Scampi might not eat half a raw onion, but might lick up the dregs of that beef stew you made that's chock full of sautéed onions. A little dog might not bother with a raw bulb of garlic, but might devour that jar of minced garlic in olive oil you inadvertently left open within reach. How about that box of dried onion soup mix? Or the garlic or onion powder? Drying and grinding does not lessen the toxicity, and these products may be hidden in places you wouldn't think of. There are reported cases of cats developing hemolytic anemia from eating baby food flavored with onion powder.

That reminds me to check the baby food (veges) I feed mixed with the kibble!

Guest english.ivy

I add baby food to my dogs dry food but buy the really good stuff. Nothing added but what it says on the label. Bought it add to my parrots hand raising mix but she stopped needing the feeding so I now give it to the dogs.

Guest lavendergirl

I add baby food to my dogs dry food but buy the really good stuff. Nothing added but what it says on the label. Bought it add to my parrots hand raising mix but she stopped needing the feeding so I now give it to the dogs.

Yes - I really like the Heinz organic range :o . I find it is a really good filler for Kongs also.

I have heard that a dog would have to eat a whole bulb of garlic, not a clove, for it to have any bad effect. Different with onions though. My dogs get garlic in their treats & they go nuts for it. No ill effects here.

I have heard that a dog would have to eat a whole bulb of garlic, not a clove, for it to have any bad effect.

Yes, that is correct as per the link : 5g per kilogram of body weight is considered risky. An average clove is about five grams, so for my Belgian about 27 cloves!

Guest english.ivy

Yes - I really like the Heinz organic range :o . I find it is a really good filler for Kongs also.

Think that is the range I buy. Six for $9 the other day. My pantry is full of baby food! Actually really good to add to dry food. They get all the fruits too and it makes their dinner smell sooooo yummy.

Guest lavendergirl

Think that is the range I buy. Six for $9 the other day. My pantry is full of baby food! Actually really good to add to dry food. They get all the fruits too and it makes their dinner smell sooooo yummy.

There are some great varieties available - I try to look for something without onion in it but did not think to look for garlic I don't think baby food would have much anyway. I'm waiting for someone to ask me how old my baby is :laugh:

I fed it for years as it was recommended in an old Natural Remedy Book for dogs I used to have.

Then I read it wasn't the best for them and made them lethargic. I have a nearly 8 month old Cavalier here who is bouncing off the walls and could do with a dose of "lethargic". :laugh:

I still feed it daily to my horses as a complimentary vermifuge (kill intestinal worms).

Mine get a little crushed garlic two or three times a week mixed into their food. Like everything else, a little in moderation is beneficial.

The following is from Dr Ian Billinghurst's "The Barf Diet".....

Supplementing Herbs - e.g. Garlic

Another excellent supplement [more for dogs, although it can be given to cats in small amounts] is garlic. Garlic is a health building and disease-preventing herb for a whole variety of reasons. Garlic is nature's antibiotic, having been found to exhibit effective anti-microbial properties, inhibiting the growth of both bacteria and fungi. Galric helps stabilize blood pressure and boosts the immune system. It is particularly useful in treating and preventing upper respiratory tract infections.

There are literally hundreds of herbs, which could be used by BARFers in the never-ending quest to produce maximum pet health. However, such a discussion is beyond the scope of this book and you should seek appropriate qualified advice if you would like to walk down this path.

I think the choice should be yours and there are alot of conflicting advice not only on garlic but many varieties of food. Do waht is best for you and your pooches.

cheers

KK Team