Interceptor Spectrum

Hi everyone,

I am a new member from the US. I have 2 beautiful Pomeranians that are about 2 1/2 years old.

Here in the US there is a big problem with finding Interceptor as it is not in production at the moment due to some problem at the plant and may not be available for quite some time. My vet has suggested using Heartgard but I read a lot of bad things about it and would really prefer to keep my twins on Interceptor.

I have been searching online everywhere trying to locate some and had come across several sites offering Interceptor Spectrum. I told my vet about the ingredients and how it is almost exactly the same as ours here in the US but with the added ingredient that also fights tapeworms, I believe. He seemed to think it sounded fine to use.

I do not know what the packaging on the outside and more importantly on the inside should look like if I should purchase this and was hoping you would help me to be sure it is authentic. I want to be sure that it is the real Novartis product.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!!!!! :)

Guest donatella

Hi and welcome :wave:

Please photos are a must (especially of Poms we don't get enough Pom people round here in my opinion) :)

I was literally at the vet yesterday getting my girl her vaccines and the vet recommended Interceptor to me. We currently use Heartgard but it doesn't cover tapeworm and she generally vomits the next day (even when fed on a full stomach) so i'm pretty keen to try something else. I haven't heard of any recalls or problems with Interceptor and for the vet to recommend it to me just yesterday she mustn't have heard of any either.

I was talking to a Pom breeder here about what she has her poms on and she uses Advocate, so that's another one i'm going to research and think about as well. :D

Hi Pomtwins,

The Interceptor Spectrum here is exactly the same as what would be available in the U.S. (It comes from the same

manufacturing plant in Puerto Rico).

Sadly though it is not an allowable import into the United States without a valid permit.

Aside from the active ingredients, it is classed as a food item (beef chew).

I am sure you will find people that would send it to you, but there is a very high chance it will be confiscated

upon customs inspection and destroyed.

(Novartis manufactures Sentinel Spectrum & Interceptor Spectrum in Puerto Rico, Milbemax & Capstar are manufactured in France)

HTH

Hi and welcome :wave:

Please photos are a must (especially of Poms we don't get enough Pom people round here in my opinion) :)

I was literally at the vet yesterday getting my girl her vaccines and the vet recommended Interceptor to me. We currently use Heartgard but it doesn't cover tapeworm and she generally vomits the next day (even when fed on a full stomach) so i'm pretty keen to try something else. I haven't heard of any recalls or problems with Interceptor and for the vet to recommend it to me just yesterday she mustn't have heard of any either.

I was talking to a Pom breeder here about what she has her poms on and she uses Advocate, so that's another one i'm going to research and think about as well. :D

Hello fellow Pom lover! Thanks for the welcome! I attached a photo so I hope it shows up :)

Guest donatella

Veeeery cute!!

I'm getting a second one in the next 6 months, can't wait, going to be double trouble

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me about the packaging of Interceptor Spectrum. I want to be sure it is authentic if I am able to purchase some. I know what the box itself should look like, I am more interested in the foil chew packets themselves.

Many thanks to everyone!

Veeeery cute!!

I'm getting a second one in the next 6 months, can't wait, going to be double trouble

That is wonderful! I can certainly say that having 2 is twice the love and fun! :D

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

I was hoping someone would be able to tell me about the packaging of Interceptor Spectrum. I want to be sure it is authentic if I am able to purchase some. I know what the box itself should look like, I am more interested in the foil chew packets themselves.

Many thanks to everyone!

The only difference between AU & U.S. packaging is Kilograms vs Pounds for weight guide

Also, support information, i.e. Novartis contact details is country specific

Plus the U.S. product has the FDA approval information, here we have the APVMA as the authority

that looks after this type of product

Just recently the manufacturing plant in Puerto Rico did have some problems, we had no Sentinel Spectrum for small dogs

for close to 6-7 weeks. Those problems have been rectified, it may be an idea to contact Novartis Animal Health in the U.S.

as I am sure they will be able to advise that the product you want will be available locally soon.

Once again, you cannot buy it from an overseas retailer without the risk of having it confiscated once it enters the

U.S. postal/courier system

Edited by Pets1

Pets1 I'm confused why you keep making note about importing when Pomtwins is asking about the Australian Inteceptor now they are here.

Interceptor is readily available from a billion places I doubt they were wanting to import?

Some of the Interceptor sizes have been out of stock in the U.S. for some time

Here in the US there is a big problem with finding Interceptor as it is not in production at the moment due to some problem at the plant and may not be available for quite some time. My vet has suggested using Heartgard but I read a lot of bad things about it and would really prefer to keep my twins on Interceptor.

Given when I am not here, I am in the U.S. myself, plus having a lot of U.S. customers I am only trying to give

advice on the risks involved.

Several of the AU websites that do ship to the U.S. do have warnings on the product page saying they cannot

ship Interceptor outside of Australia

We are unable to ship this product to customers in the USA.

Interceptor Spectrum Tasty Chews for Very Small Dogs up to 4kg

Edited by Pets1

I think you will find that the problems are being resolved - we are starting to get stock coming in (slowly only a few boxes at a time) at my work. Of course there is still that gap of time where they are not being protected against heartworm so an alterative product may be needed.

The company where I found Interceptor Spectrum online is from Canada. They actually describe the product as if it is what we use here in the US by saying it is for 2-10lbs in the brown box.

This is not how Interceptor Spectrum would be described since the box for my size dogs is orange. I guess this way we think we have found our US product which is what I thought I had found. I had never heard of anything different and did not know of another version outside of the US.

I was hoping someone would simply describe the inner packaging per chance I actually ever received this.

Thanks again for your time.

hi pomtwins :) it's a shit when the product you become comfortable using becomes unavailable and you have to source it from elsewhere...

from the posts, i believe you reside in the US, that the product you've been using is not currently available to you, that pets1 has told you that you can't source it from australia because of export/import restrictions and that you've found what you believe to be a similar or the exact same product in canada that matches what you've been using for your poms but it's described differently and you'd like someone to help you determine if the canadian product IS the same product you've been administering to your poms ... right?!?

i'll assume i've got that straight :)

this link is to the interceptor spectrum page of the online shop i use to purchase my pet supplies --- for dogs up to 4kg [nearly 9 lbs], the package colour is described as brown [but it is in fact, orange (per novartis, australia)]. you'll see on their site there's a pic of the actual chew but i can't show you that from what i have in my cupboard because each chew is encased in a foil bubble.

does that help you!??!

i hope so :)

edited: grammatic oversight *eyeroll*

Edited by Skruffy n Flea

Thanks so much for your reply. It is very helpful. I found a lot of sites that do show the box itself and today I found a site that has photos of the inner packaging too. Do the attachments look correct to you in terms of the inner foil packs? They are for larger dogs but I would assume all the foil packets are similar.

post-46249-0-98533000-1343403360_thumb.jpg

post-46249-0-37565300-1343403374_thumb.jpg

Thanks so much for your reply. It is very helpful. I found a lot of sites that do show the box itself and today I found a site that has photos of the inner packaging too. Do the attachments look correct to you in terms of the inner foil packs? They are for larger dogs but I would assume all the foil packets are similar.

i'm glad you found those pix and yes, they do look exactly the same as what i have in my cupboard [interceptor spectrum tasty chews for small dogs 4-11 kg] and except for the varying mg content amounts, the label wording printed on what i have in my cupboard for 'small dogs' is exactly the same as what is printed on that depicted in your pix.

i'm glad you found those pix and yes, they do look exactly the same as what i have in my cupboard [interceptor spectrum tasty chews for small dogs 4-11 kg] and except for the varying mg content amounts, the label wording printed on what i have in my cupboard for 'small dogs' is exactly the same as what is printed on that depicted in your pix.

Wow, thanks so much!!

I feel so much better with someone telling me that!!!

Thank you again!!!!!!!! :D