Joint Guard

We have a young jack russell ready to start training for agility after chatting to our vet the other day shes given us two sample pots one joint guard the other pernease powder. She said we can use it as a preventative. My question is has anyone done this and is it a worthwhile thing to do? We eventually hope to breed her (if shes up to breed standard and old enough and breeder agreees etc) so i'm wondering if this should be stopped during pregnancy or how long before. Any other information or advice would be much appreciated.

All my dogs get jointgaurd daily from 6 months of age.

I'm all about preventative health!!!

There has been no testing about use in pregnant/ lactating bitches so I don't use it during that time!

I believe that some studies have shown that feeding joint guard products to young dogs can do more harm than good. I can't remember the thread where this was mentioned - maybe try PMing dizney as I think she contributed to the thread. If your dog is structurally sound and you warm hum up and stretch properly, I can't see the need personally. There is a thread in training about keeping agility dogs in top condition.

We're a little hesitant to give JG or Pernaese at young ages. I know there are some studies happening now to see what affect long term use has on organs etc.

My vet advised no joint supplements in a sound dog unless there is a specific joint problem I sometimes wonder about the future of our current young dogs with all the premium foods and supplements we feed, maybe it will come nback and bite us on the bottom!!

Edited to addI omitted no joint supplements under 5 years of age according to vet

Edited by dragonwoman

We're a little hesitant to give JG or Pernaese at young ages. I know there are some studies happening now to see what affect long term use has on organs etc.

My vet advised no joint supplements in a sound dog unless there is a specific joint problem I sometimes wonder about the future of our current young dogs with all the premium foods and supplements we feed, maybe it will come nback and bite us on the bottom!!

Edited to addI omitted no joint supplements under 5 years of age according to vet

Yep, our clinic is much the same. Esp with dogs at risk of joint issues, they get a full work up before advising to feed suppliments. We generally try to discourage use of them in dogs unless needed.