Seen On An Animal Classifieds Website Today

Decadence

"Hi, I have a little Maltese cross Jack Russell called Oli. He has an amazing temperament and is always well behaved and loving. I am blessed to have such a beautiful dog. Recently I have been looking to get a new puppy to add to our family and I want to breed him with any other small dog breed so I can take advantage of his good genes. All I want is two puppies from the litter and you would be able to keep the rest for yourself or to sell! I would prefer a Yorkie or a mini foxy but I am happy to compromise. Preferably no Maltese's though. Looking forward to hearing from you!"

I quite often email these types of people and try to explain that this is not really the smartest thing to do, considering all the implications bybreeding has, especially in regards to health, ethics, etc. What are your opinions on this?

Guest _MADCAT_

Haha snap, I saw the same add and emailed them trying to talk sence.. I know they don't care or want to listen but even changing the mind of one person can help....

The abusive messages I get back can be funny when I ask if the purebred dogs have papers, boy they get defensive when they say they want $1500 for an unpapered purebred dog. When I asked it turned out to be a Neo mastiff x mastiff so wasn't even pure!

I'm regularly on that site seeing what crazy dogs people mix...

My issue is that people breed these dogs without realising the time and money involved. What happens if they can't sell the puppies? Do they make sure the people purchasing the dogs are suitable? Take the dogs back if things don't work out? Or will they end up in the pound with all the other unwanted dogs :mad

Big difference between ethical, professional breeders and these people :(

Guest Arcane

I've managed to talk numerous clients out of breeding their pet bitches by looking into their eyes and asking them the question 'could you live with yourself if you killed your own dog, because it can & does happen as a result of complications during pregnancy/whelping & post whelping?' Then I ask how much experience they have which is mostly none, and then tell them about how most dogs whelp in the evening & night time and how expensive vets are at that time and that they better have at least 1,000 in the bank before they start because how would they feel if they couldn't afford emergency intervention etc etc ....all the while staring into their eyes with a cold hard facts kinda look. I go on to tell them about fading puppies and ask how they'd cope if they managed to kill their pet & all the puppies due to lack of experience and ask how they will know if there seems to be a problem otherwise their option will be to seek help from the vet and pay the prices that go with it etc etc.....

but how does one talk the owner of the stud out of it??

Thats a great way to discourage them Arcane!

I just dont understand why ppl breed with their unpapered, unregistered dogs. :confused:

I have a male dog that I am showing and then doing obedience etc with, hopefully he will be good enough to breed with, but if he isnt a really good example of his breed when he is mature than he will get the snip very quickly! I would never in good concience breed from a dog who while having a great temperament isnt up to scratch conformation wise.

These ppl need to go visit some animal shelters and see the amount of dogs that are pts because of unthinking & uneducated dog owners breeding with their pets.So sad :mad

I've managed to talk numerous clients out of breeding their pet bitches by looking into their eyes and asking them the question 'could you live with yourself if you killed your own dog, because it can & does happen as a result of complications during pregnancy/whelping & post whelping?' Then I ask how much experience they have which is mostly none, and then tell them about how most dogs whelp in the evening & night time and how expensive vets are at that time and that they better have at least 1,000 in the bank before they start because how would they feel if they couldn't afford emergency intervention etc etc ....all the while staring into their eyes with a cold hard facts kinda look. I go on to tell them about fading puppies and ask how they'd cope if they managed to kill their pet & all the puppies due to lack of experience and ask how they will know if there seems to be a problem otherwise their option will be to seek help from the vet and pay the prices that go with it etc etc.....

I like your work, Arcane. :thumbsup: A great reality check.

One of the experienced registered tibbie breeders (now retired) used to have a section on her website, called 'So You Think You Want to Breed with your Dog.' She then listed exactly the kinds of real situations you've described, complete with costs....and the emotional stresses involved and the unfortunate outcomes that can happen for the mother dog and puppies.

Great way to go Arcane :thumbsup:

I just get so disapointed by these ads, there was one in the paper here saying "male french bulldog wanted to breed with a cute girl. Possibly another frenchie or a boston or bulldog". Not the exact words but went along the lines of that. Oh god, if only these people knew...education is the main tool in these cases

Arcane: tops method :D

I often hear the "I want the kids to witness the magic of birth". I like to reply "what if the puppies are born dead or don't survive? Or if the mother dies during whelping due to complications? Kinda traumatic for the kids huh?" I love watching their face drop :laugh:

Edited by shmoo

Guest Arcane

Arcane: tops method :D

I often hear the "I want the kids to witness the magic of birth". I like to reply "what if the puppies are born dead or don't survive? Or if the mother dies during whelping due to complications? Kinda traumatic for the kids huh?" I love watching their face drop :laugh:

*LIKE* :thumbsup: