Boston Terriers

katevin

After much research and consideration, we've decided that the Boston Terrier is the perfect fit for us. Although, I'm learning that they are very hard to get our hands on!!

Does anybody know how we can get ourselves a puppy?

We've had pugs in the past and have since fallen in love with Bostons. Would really appreciate any advice or tips- we've rang numerous breeders but haven't had any luck yet.

Also, any experiences of Boston's with little kids (we have 4.5yo and 8mo daughters) would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance for any responses :D

Im not sure that they're a great pet to have around such young kids. Reason being they're so over active and stimulated and as they tear around the house doing their zoomies...they have little regard for what they're leaping on and over.

As for getting hold of one, no, they're not that easy to find but you can be lucky. You just need to keep ringing around the known breeders and establishing a relationship and some trust.

Expect to pay north of $2k for one. Whatever you do, don't get sucked into going down the path of buying a cheap one off a website. They're all shonky.

And what sort of pet do they make..? A TERRIFIC pet...so so funny. :)

Thanks for the quick replies! Yep we're well aware that they're rather expensive to purchase and are prepared to pay around $3k for a good quality pup.

I have heard that about them (being boisterous and a bit nippy around young kids) but from what you've described and what I've read elsewhere they sound quite similar in temperament to our pugs who also did that funny zooming around the place thing! Obviously I would never leave our children unattended with the puppy, and I think any negative aspect of having a puppy around our girls will be far outweighed by the benefits of having a dog as part of our family.

Boston's are perfect for us in every other way. I think the nipping/boisterousness could be a potential problem with any breed, so this isn't too much of a concern for us. And I've heard that they're hilarious little things just like pugs- which is a very appealing trait to us! Our pugs never failed in putting a smile on our faces and were great with the kids.

Thanks again for your replies, would love to hear any more experiences or tips etc.

Edited by katevin

Have you ever seen them in action? I have met a few. They are very, well, terrier-like :laugh: Very different from pugs.

Hmm no I've never met any in the flesh- in what way do you mean they're "terrier-ish"?

Obviously you're into Frenchies...I've always loved these too, not quite as much as Boston's though. Any idea how French bulldogs differ from pugs and Boston's?

Edited by katevin

I have a pug and a frenchie :)

By terrier-ish I mean leggy and fast and gutsy. I'm sure someone with one can comment, but these are my observations. We were tempted to get one, but settled on the frenchie instead. I don't like how 'fragile' the bostons look. They are much finer and smaller than I initially thought. I have two young boys and wanted something a bit heavier :) All personal preferences of course.

How the frenchie differs from the pug:

He is naughtier, he chews stuff, he is more cuddly, he jumps higher, he is far more active and athletic, he sheds way less and he demands a little piece of my heart that the pug never managed to get. Don't get me wrong, I love the pug to death, but the frenchie just has something special about him - as crazy as he drives me.

ETA His temperament is flawless and I would even go as far as saying he is bombproof with my kids and wonderful with other dogs. Of course, he is a credit to his wonderful breeder and obviously there are bad examples of every breed.

I firmly believe that you need to meet at least a few before deciding that they are for you.

Edited by huga

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/breeders/boston-terrier.asp

Here's the DOL list of breeders. Probably the best thing to do would be to get into contact with the breeders in your state, have a chat to them and see if you can catch up with them at a show or trial, or if you might be able to visit them at home. This will give you a feel for the temperaments of the dogs, and might allow you to learn more about them, whether they are suitable for your family, and maybe even build a relationship between you and the breeder. Best of luck!

At the same time, I don't think you 'have' to meet the breed to know wether it is 'the one' or not. I just did a tonne of research into schipperkes as I couldn't find any up here, contacted my breeder of choice, got my boy, and perfect dog for me :) So don't fret if there is are no boston terriers around, but meeting one could be an advantage.

I met one on my trip to Brisbane last year, it was a 7 year old and lived in the holiday house I stayed however only properly met it once. She loved my schip and they played for a fair bit, she seemed active but cuddly. They do seem quite terrier-like as huga said :laugh: Such a lovely breed, I am very fond of them

We were blessed to have a Boston in our lives for nearly 13 years, she was awesome with children and as tough as old boots. Would have another in a heartbeat.

Do your research and find a Breeder you can have a good relationship with and be prepared to wait for the right pup. I am sure you will not regret it :D