Some Fostering Questions

It is always easier to allow new priveliges than to take them away - a gift to betow upon Ollie's new family, that they get to give to him.

That's what I think! He'll only need to be told once that he can go up and I'm sure he'll remember forever :D

It is always easier to allow new priveliges than to take them away - a gift to betow upon Ollie's new family, that they get to give to him.

That's what I think! He'll only need to be told once that he can go up and I'm sure he'll remember forever :D

I took this approach with Coop... he was a ball of beans... the look on his face when the family we found for him was going to allow him couch and bed priveliges was priceless, the fact he was super duper happy there made it easier to leave without him knowing he was going to be better than alright..!

PS, that was a great post.

Thsnk you Mita! I really do love being a foster mummy. We don't have one at present because I am heading interstate for a few weeks soon and our last boy was just adopted. The house is very empty and my heart girl and I are clinging to each other for comfort! She misses having a crazy playmate as our other dog (my sister's heart dog) is too prissy for such silliness!

1. My foster is currently eating Royal Canin like my own dogs but some people have said that perhaps it's better to feed a cheaper dog food because a lot of adopters may not want to feed a premium kibble.

I've also had fosters turn up their noses at Royal Canin but tuck into supermarket kibble. I graduate them onto what I want them to eat and treat them just the same as my dogs with food.

2. My foster sleeps in our bedroom in a crate right now. Do you let your fosters sleep in the same place as your dogs or do you have them sleep in the kitchen/laundry/other room so that it's easier to make the adjustment to a new home? We are fostering working breeds, so it's possible that some families may want the dog to be an outside dog.

We won't home to people who want an outside only dog, the dog has to be indoors to sleep. However, I never allow them in our bedroom as I figure it is better for them to learn to live with standard sorts of restrictions. If the new owners want to invite them into their bedroom it will be easy enough, but if they don't want the dog in their bedroom I've made their job harder if I allow it. FWIW, none of our males are allowed in the bedroom either, so it's not like they are poor cousin out there in the living room all by themselves.

3. Do people let their foster dogs onto their bed/sofas? Our two are allowed but I'm hesitant about doing it with Ollie in case his future family doesn't want dogs on the sofa/bed and it's better to train him NOT to go up there in the first place ... Any views?

I allow them on furniture, because there is a kind of "couch culture" for rescue sighthounds and it would be unusual for an adopter to want them on the floor only and a strike against them for a future home unless everything else about the home was awesome and I knew they provided really good supportive beds on the floor. That said, mine also get used to sleeping on beds on the floor.

4. Is the first foster the hardest one to let go of i.e. does it get easier? I get a bit misty-eyed when I think about handing over Ollie to a new home. He was at the pound and kennels for so long and he clearly LOVES being in a home surrounded by people and other dogs - he acts like THIS is his new home. I know dogs are very adaptable but it does cause me a bit of a pang to think of making him change scenes again.

I think it varies, sometimes they are going to a home that has had rescue Afghans or Salukis since the year dot, an impeccable resume, and well known. Then I find it quite easy because I know they're going to someone who can give more than I can. Where you're adopting out to someone who hasn't had the breeds before, it can be a little harder because you second guess yourself sometimes about whether you've made the right decision. The key thing is to check for arrogance (do I think I'm so fantastic that anyone else is a step down? If so I need a reality check) and check selfishness (do I just want this dog for myself, is that fair on the dog and my dogs?).

5. What are your basic criteria that you have for a dog before you rehome it in terms of training? We have a checklist of training requirements and Ollie's doing very well so far but I'm curious about what other people expect before they rehome a dog. Friendliness is a given because we will not foster any dog that is not dog-friendly.

House training, jumping, any pushy behaviours like pulling on the lead - basically anything that got them into the situation they are in (if that applies, it doesn't always). I also think that if a dog has tendencies that are likely to reappear once my training and management regime is removed it's important to inform the adopter of this and supply a training sheet/information.

I know that the rule of thumb is to treat the foster dog the same way that you treat your own dogs. I have some questions though and would love to hear the views of others. The main thing is that while I am perfectly happy to treat our foster dogs the same way our dogs are treated - there is no guarantee that the dog will receive the same treatment in its new home - although of course the intention is to try very hard to find the best possible home. So here are the questions:

1. My foster is currently eating Royal Canin like my own dogs but some people have said that perhaps it's better to feed a cheaper dog food because a lot of adopters may not want to feed a premium kibble.

I feed my fosters premium foods and encourage potential adopters to continue to do so. I feed my dogs Black Hawk which is about half the price of comparable premium foods, so it's quite affordable too. However I've found my fosters to be very adaptable (read piglike) so if adopters want to feed them something else, that's fine too.

2. My foster sleeps in our bedroom in a crate right now. Do you let your fosters sleep in the same place as your dogs or do you have them sleep in the kitchen/laundry/other room so that it's easier to make the adjustment to a new home? We are fostering working breeds, so it's possible that some families may want the dog to be an outside dog.

My foster dogs are/were in the laundry as they had night time accidents when allowed to sleep in the living room with my dogs. I think I will invest in a crate for future fosters.

3. Do people let their foster dogs onto their bed/sofas? Our two are allowed but I'm hesitant about doing it with Ollie in case his future family doesn't want dogs on the sofa/bed and it's better to train him NOT to go up there in the first place ... Any views?

I would suggest not to if the dog wasn't used to it, but my current foster was obviously an indoor dog and as soon as he hops on the couch he falls asleep. My dogs aren't allowed on furniture - one has never, and the other is too big for our tiny couches.

4. Is the first foster the hardest one to let go of i.e. does it get easier? I get a bit misty-eyed when I think about handing over Ollie to a new home. He was at the pound and kennels for so long and he clearly LOVES being in a home surrounded by people and other dogs - he acts like THIS is his new home. I know dogs are very adaptable but it does cause me a bit of a pang to think of making him change scenes again.

Not for me - the only foster I regret rehoming is the fourth cat I fostered. I love getting frequent photo updates though, and know he is very well loved. The other fosters have been pleasant guests, but I haven't super bonded to them.

5. What are your basic criteria that you have for a dog before you rehome it in terms of training? We have a checklist of training requirements and Ollie's doing very well so far but I'm curious about what other people expect before they rehome a dog. Friendliness is a given because we will not foster any dog that is not dog-friendly.

The fosters are on PetRescue soon after they come into care, so whatever level of training they get up to before they get adopted is it. My current foster is going to obedience (casually) and of course the higher level of obedience they have, the more attractive they will be to prospective adopters.

Thanks in advance!