Help Please D90 Blurry In Sports Mode.

bianca.a

Hi all,

I have a Nikon D90 and haven't really got the time to learn how to use it properly *blush* so in sports mode it used to take brilliant shots. Now they are not at all sharp.

If anyone has an idea for this plonker, I would really appreciate it thank you :)

From a while ago and then from today

post-36665-0-78003200-1343646356_thumb.jpgpost-36665-0-89891000-1343646439_thumb.jpg

I'd say shutter speed too slow cause it's darker. Was it just in auto mode? You can still get good sharp clear shots on dull days but you'll need to get brave and get out of auto :laugh: You need to increase your ISO, open your lens up wide, and increase your shutter speed. Start reading that manual, go on, off you go. :laugh:

Your racing shots are excellent kirislin, one of the few times I have canikon envy :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: thankyou, it's become my passion. that is just about my favourite photo I think. This was shot with a Canon 7D but I am sure the Nikon could do just as well though.

Edited by Kirislin

what's your exif on that shot? I'm still sucky at action so am working to fix that.

Camera Canon EOS 7D

shot in Manual

Exposure 1/5000 sec

Aperture f/2.8

Focal Length 190 mm

ISO Speed 400

Edited by Kirislin

My K7 is not awesome with AF and I had to push my ISO to 2000 to get that shutter speed recently at herding, which gave too much noise. Did you use continuous focus, pan or preset to release the shutter when in focus? Bianca can get something out of this as well I think, so not off topic.

Zoomie.jpg

No EXIF - but I bet the shutter speed was faster than the others.

DSC_0044.JPG

18.0-55.0 mm f/3.5-5.6

55.0 mm

1/160 sec; f/5.6; ISO 1600

Shutter speed too slow (or your panning wasn't quite spot on, panning dogs is tough).

DSC_0456.JPG

18.0-55.0 mm f/3.5-5.6

55.0 mm (in 35mm: 82.0 mm)

1/125 sec; f/5.6; ISO 360

Shutter speed too slow.

For fast running dogs, you'll want to have a shutter speed of at least 1/500. This will mean: bumping up the ISO until you get 1/500. If you can't get 1/500 with your highest ISO...time for a faster lens ($$$$).

Shooting in brighter conditions will make your chances of getting the shot higher.

Thank you all so very much, I really appreciate it :thumbsup:

I guess it's as I feared...I need to find time to play around and learn how to use my camera :laugh:

My first SLR was totally manual (the camera is 44 years old now)but since I went digital I have been so lazy with auto.

Thanks all again, I will have a play :)

Thank you all so very much, I really appreciate it :thumbsup:

I guess it's as I feared...I need to find time to play around and learn how to use my camera :laugh:

My first SLR was totally manual (the camera is 44 years old now)but since I went digital I have been so lazy with auto.

Thanks all again, I will have a play :)

Best way to learn is to get out of auto and start playing around with it. I always wanted to learn how to use an SLR but it was so much harder back then. I remember I used to carry a little notebook around with me and write down the settings I had the camera on, then when I got the developed film back I'd go through and write on the back of them what I'd done. I was just starting to get the hang of it and some turd stole my lovely Olympus. :cry: It's so much easier now with DSLRs though. Have fun.

Also all but the first shot are so fafr away. Unless you are just using the centre focus point the camera with try and use as many focus points as possible to make sure most of the photo is in focus (similar to how it judges exposure). You haveto know which focus points you are using and have them on the subject plus panning plus the high speed settigs as mentioned to get a clear shot.