Pet-friendly Camping

toshman

Every year our extended family, 8-10 adults, 6-8 kids and usually about 5 well-behaved dogs, like to go camping in early October - we're totally self-sufficient, prefer near the water for the kids...we've been to the Wollondilly River several times and also up to the Watagans and are looking for somewhere different this year - anyone got any suggestions, pretty please? It needs to be within 3 hours' drive of Sydney if possible.....TIA for any recommendations :)

http://www.caravanandcampingnsw.com.au/parks/dolphins_point_tourist_park

Burrill Lake, just south of Ulladulla (3kms?). It's on a Lake, right at the inlet to the beach, so you can swim in calm waters or surf.

There are plenty of playgrounds for kids.

Dogs are permitted, but you can't take them to one part of the beach (signposted) as it is a breeding area for some endgangered plovers. You can take them to the other areas of the beach (may be time restrictions)

Well within your 3 hour travel request.

Edited by j

Shallow Crossing is a little more further south from Ulladulla, maybe 20-30 mins? It is on the Clyde river, and there is a private camping ground there. I haven't been there for a few years, but they certainly used to let you take dogs. They have big shelters (like carports) set up around the place, so if you set up your tents next to one, you can usually claim it as your kitchen/dining area. I've never been there when there are so many people that you can't manage to do this. Can't recall what the toilet/shower facilities are like. I know they had them, but don't remember if they were hot or cold showers and whether the toilets were flushing, composting or longdrop. No shops or other amenities. It is an out of the way spot.

Great for Canoeing, fishing, trailbike riding, hiking or mountain bike riding. I can't find a link to the actual campsite details, but this link talks about it. If you contact the organisation, they might be able to tell you the details

http://australia.shopsafe.com.au/new_south_wales_destination/shoalhaven_area/shallow_crossing.htm

There was often some great middle of the night entertainment when some idiot would go roaring across the crossing in their 4wd and fall off the side into the river because they were going too fast in the dark.

Another camping location that is great if you want an out of the way site is Yadboro Flats. This is inland from Ulladulla and also on the Clyde river. Fantastic swimming holes, great canoeing, cycling, trailbiking, horseriding etc. Pigeon House Mountain is nearby and is a great hike. They only allow dogs at the actual camping ground, not the surrounding state forest and national park. This link says there are toilets, but they are new since I was last there. There are no showers. Great for birdwatching as well.

http://www.forests.nsw.gov.au/visiting/forests/yadboro

Edited by j

Shallow Crossing is a little more further south from Ulladulla, maybe 20-30 mins? It is on the Clyde river, and there is a private camping ground there. I haven't been there for a few years, but they certainly used to let you take dogs. They have big shelters (like carports) set up around the place, so if you set up your tents next to one, you can usually claim it as your kitchen/dining area. I've never been there when there are so many people that you can't manage to do this. Can't recall what the toilet/shower facilities are like. I know they had them, but don't remember if they were hot or cold showers and whether the toilets were flushing, composting or longdrop. No shops or other amenities. It is an out of the way spot.

Great for Canoeing, fishing, trailbike riding, hiking or mountain bike riding. I can't find a link to the actual campsite details, but this link talks about it. If you contact the organisation, they might be able to tell you the details

http://australia.shopsafe.com.au/new_south_wales_destination/shoalhaven_area/shallow_crossing.htm

There was often some great middle of the night entertainment when some idiot would go roaring across the crossing in their 4wd and fall off the side into the river because they were going too fast in the dark.

Another camping location that is great if you want an out of the way site is Yadboro Flats. This is inland from Ulladulla and also on the Clyde river. Fantastic swimming holes, great canoeing, cycling, trailbiking, horseriding etc. Pigeon House Mountain is nearby and is a great hike. They only allow dogs at the actual camping ground, not the surrounding state forest and national park. This link says there are toilets, but they are new since I was last there. There are no showers. Great for birdwatching as well.

http://www.forests.nsw.gov.au/visiting/forests/yadboro

That's great, J - both sound very interesting - just up our garden path so to speak :thanks:

Going to check 'em out re the dogs -

Any suggestions not more than 3-4 hours from Melbourne?

Is Mallacoota too far? Guess it depends which side of Melbourne you are. Or Eagle Point. There used to be nice dog-friendly places there too.