Exercise Program

Now that Grumpy has been on his Cushing's medication for a month, I've noticed he's become less "slippy" in his back legs though he still has the Cushing's "sag".

I want to start doing some gentle exercise with him to build up strength in his hindquarters. I don't think there are canine physios or a swimming pool I could take him to in Canberra and given his dementia I don't know how he'd go with either of those, though I'd be willing to try if they were available.

I was hoping to get some suggestions as to what else I could do as well as some short walks.

You could check out some of the FitPaws gear. Things like the balance discs might be good or the peanut.

K9Pro stock the FitPaws gear these days - http://www.k9pro.com.au/categories/Fitness-and-Rehab/Fitpaws/

You can start by having the dog place its front feet on the disc/peanut. Even just sitting or standing on the disc or the peanut is causing the dogs muscle to work.

Hi Sheridan,

Duke's chiro suggested a fitball (ie stand on ball with front legs, get treats), we were progressing to moving fitball but Duke decided to play Doctors (RIP fitball No. 2, like fitball No.1 he did not survive surgery).

We also do massage on the back and up along the spine. Also teaching that elephant trick on the phonebooks as well.

Seems to be working for Duke (so far, anyhow. Chiro sessions are getting longer between visits).

Also, apparently a bit of backwards walking, (still working on that one), walking in soft sand, uphill and downhill (which is problamatic for me currently)all help, laddering is also supposed to be beneficial, but Duke (of course) wants to walk ON the rungs, not between them.There are also stretches which help - using treats to encourage the head horizontally round to the tail direction for stretching and strengthening is one I am currently using a lot.

Duke has spent a couple of years with insufficient muscle along the spine to keep the vertebrae aligned.

I do a set of sit to stand exercises with my dog everyday. They're like squats for dogs. They use the muscles in their hind legs to push up into a stand. Try not to let him take too many steps forward as he does it and it'll be more effective.

Some great suggestions. Thanks everyone! CleoJ, I have PM'd you.

I like the simpleness of some of these, though Grumpy, being grumpy, may not take too well to ones involving stretching without someone to help me with him. :o

My old girl is having leg and back issues and I've been told that walking her on sand will be great to build up strength. First only for 5-7 minutes and then slowly build up (if you over-do it they'll just go backwards).

Some gentle hill work may work- so doing some zig zags up gentle slopes.

Also some very low cavalletti to get him to pick up his back feet- I started off with walking over pool noodles before making some taller ones but noticed the dogs strengthening with just that.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, bit of an update. I had a good chat with the local animal physio and am making an appt to take Grumpy to her for an assessment next week. She said they get all sorts of dogs at various stages of health (including mental health!) and they have a good discussion with the dog's vet, too. I was very pleased with our discussion about the grumpy man.