Broken Heel?!? - R.i.p.

Hi. My mate's dog has something wrong with the back of his heel. It's as if the tendons have snapped or something. The foot is just floppy, and it cannot support the weight of his body. He has already pooed and peed himself twice today. What can be done about this??? Thank you.

Edited by Penumbra

Hi. My mate's dog has something wrong with the back of his heel. It's as if the tendons have snapped or something. The foot is just floppy, and it cannot support the weight of his body. He has already pooed and peed himself twice today. What can be done about this??? Thank you.

No advice can really be given without a veterinarian to diagnose the actual problem. This would involve palpation and probably imaging. Also the dog may need pain relief which can also only be prescribed by a vet.

Definitely sounds like a broken bone if the foot is floppy. Please tell your friend to take his/her dog to the vet ASAP. The poor dog is probably in a tremendous amount of pain and discomfort, especially if he cannot even move to toilet himself. He needs to see a vet ASAP.

A mobile vet might still need to transport the dog somewhere in order to do x-rays or other tests, but you could always give them a call and see what options there are. I hope everything turns out okay and whatever the problem is can be treated.

Is it possible to ring an emergency vet? They will be able to give you advice on keeping the dog comfortable overnight.

Roll a towel and tuck it under the dogs stomach to make a sling so you can move the dog around. You should just need to take the weight of the back end which should allow you to get it out to the toilet and to the vet. (Picture of what I am talking about is here http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=towel+sling+dog&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&sa=X&rls=en&biw=1231&bih=780&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=YCa2WtOxrrOqfM:&imgrefurl=http://www.doggiewheelchair.com/2010/12/throw-in-your-towel-at-handicapped-pets.html&docid=reBGQDmADfLe0M&imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qYQuCcC_Ez8/TP1dMa1KReI/AAAAAAAAA28/EJSgisSnPBM/s1600/Towel-Transport-1.JPG&w=1600&h=1200&ei=Xq0nUKTjE8uviQfxl4EI&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=127&vpy=83&dur=233&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=158&ty=98&sig=105227252674148951203&page=1&tbnh=135&tbnw=193&start=0&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:73)

I have managed to move a 60kg dog after knee surgery with this technique.

Fiasco - Thanks. For some reason though, the mobile vet was closed as well.

Jumabaar - Okay, I might do that. And thanks a lot for the tip. Even though he's a Great Dane, we'll still give it a try. Cheers.

Edited by Penumbra

He's gone. :( His back legs were just getting too feeble from age. And sorry for lying, but it was my Great Dane who died today. He was 14 years old, and he was put to sleep in our backyard. Rest in peace mate.

I can't begin to explain how devastated I feel. It's like I can't properly function again yet. And I knew that this was going to happen on the day of his death. Why do they always happen too soon though. :(

I'm so sorry to hear Penumbra. Just know that there is now no more pain and he will be running free and doing all his favourite things. He'll be waiting for you too when it's your time. 14 years is a great life for a Great Dane - I'm sure he was in the best of hands and that you made the right decision. Take care of yourself and my thoughts are with you.

Thank you very much, persephone. And amen about being at home. Actually, regarding that, I think that I can still feel his presence. And silly as it may sound, this makes it harder to decide whether I want a private cremation or not... The cost of a private cremation is about how much I've got in the bank. They will take installments though.

Thank you so much, Fiasco. Your post actually made me cry.

That's the way to look at it... now he is not only with his old Spaniel friend, but he's also with my parents as well. I'm sure they're all absolutely thrilled to see eachother. :)

I hope so!

Yeah, it is. I guess I'll go to the vet tomorrow and see what kind of plan they can do for me. If I can't afford it, then I'll have no choice but to get a general cremation instead. But to be honest, I don't think I'll be too fussed either way. The most important things to me are that he wasn't stressed in the end, and that I got to see him off. Also, as morbid as it may seem, I got some photos and video of him after he died. I think this was mainly so my uncle (who couldn't make it) can see how he wasn't in any pain, but it's for personal reasons as well.

Oh my God, it hurts so much... How do you get through it?? I'm having my uncle come down tomorrow for a few days as I don't think I can cope alone.

Thank you, Danois. And will do about the double digits club. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

So sorry for your loss Penumbra :(

What a grand old age for a Dane. It is an extremely

difficult time when you lose something you love so much. Don't be to hard on yourself, just take one day at a time. His presence around you will help you remember all the wonderful times you & he had together. I lost my dearest old boy at the same age, 4 years ago now & I felt the warmth of him around me at the time & still do on occasion to this day. All the fond memories come flooding back & gives me the strength to carry on.

Good that you have family around you at this difficult time. Take care .

Edited by BC Crazy

He's gone. :( His back legs were just getting too feeble from age. And sorry for lying, but it was my Great Dane who died today. He was 14 years old, and he was put to sleep in our backyard. Rest in peace mate.

I can't begin to explain how devastated I feel. It's like I can't properly function again yet. And I knew that this was going to happen on the day of his death. Why do they always happen too soon though. :(

So sorry to hear about your boy. RIP. What a wonderful age for a Dane, a reflection of the care and love he recieved from you.

Thank you both so much. It's by talking to people such as yourselves that's getting me through this.

With regards to my pet's presence, a candle went pretty crazy tonight. You know, no wind or anything, but it shot sky high. It was kind of like a "violent" hello. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I was forced to get a general cremation, as they need all of the money up front for a private cremation. That's fine with me though, as I don't know what I would have done with his ashes anyway. For one, I think that scattering them on the back lawn would have been kind of redundant, being that he had already passed away there-e.g. the spirit has already flown. And for two, I think that having his ashes in a box would depress me now and again. But that's just me though, and everybody has their own perspective on things.

If I could have gotten his ashes back, than I would have. I guess I'm gonna do the next best thing though... I'm gonna visit the garden where his ashes were laid. And it's not just the garden where his ashes were laid either. It's also the garden where the Kelpie's ashes were laid. :) We were gonna go the other day but it was pouring down. We have to go on a day that's sunny, ya know? :)

I couldn't have him put in the Double Digit Club, as they said that they couldn't find the name of his breeder... Who in their right mind would breed Merles?! Anyway, it's a real shame, as he would have been the second oldest on the list!

I've been coping okay, but it's still gonna take a while yet to truly adapt. As far as I can tell though, the shock is pretty much gone and the healing has begun. I just thank "God" that I've still got my cat to keep me company.

Thanks for listening. Peace.