Ava Against Bsl - It Doesn't Reduce The Incidence Of Dog Bites

Mrs Rusty Bucket

From the AVA news site 7th August...

http://www.ava.com.au/newsarticle/dangerous-dogs-%E2%80%93-sensible-solution

The AVA’s policy is firmly opposed to breed-specific legislation, so the association has invested in preparing a comprehensive report detailing its faults while also setting out an evidence-based alternative approach.

A week later - it makes the ABC news. Wow.

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2012/s3567764.htm

Radio PM on 14th August 2012

Vets call for end to dangerous dog breed bans

Interestingly - Hugh Wirth has changed his mind about BSL.

HUGH WIRTH: The truth about breed-specific legislation is that it doesn't work, you don't decrease the numbers. In fact you send the breeding of that particular breed of dog underground.

ASHLEY HALL: Now you're on the record as being an advocate for breeding out American Pit Bulls, for example, what's brought your change of heart?

HUGH WIRTH: Well, I've kept up to date with veterinary research, behavioural research on dogs.

What I believed years ago, when I made those statements, as pertinent to the RSPCA, was the common approach that even the veterinary profession was using.

Now that this research has been done and it's quite widespread, we've discovered that our understanding of dogs and their behaviour was completely wrong.

To be fair, the AVA put the report on their website but didn't start the media campaign until today.

An ambitious national advocacy campaign to governments, policy makers and stakeholders about the AVA’s policy solution has already begun. Meetings will be taking place in each state as well as at a national level. Well-known veterinary behaviourist Kersti Seksel will be the key AVA spokesperson for ministerial and other high-level meetings while division presidents and executive officers will be coordinating communication in each of the states.

The national campaign will be launched in the media on Tuesday 14 August.

Hugh Wirthless just trying to keep his name in the news, if anyone believes his sudden change of mind, they are stupidly gullible. He is an oxygen thief..

Don't agree at all. It takes a pretty big person to admit they were wrong, and especially to go on record about it as a public figure and in direct defiance of the current public hysteria. It'd be far easier for him to dismiss any evidence that contravenes his previous stance and continue as before.

Frankly I'm impressed. It's a brave move, politically and personally, and shows a lot more integrity and consideration of fact than we could possibly have reasonably expected. Shame there's not more of it.

Full kudos where it's due.