New Puppy- How Young Is Too Young?

grommit

You would expect that anyone undertaking breeding of any animal would be better informed instead of taking a stab in the dark. As everyone has said, 6 weeks is ridiculously young to sell a pup and speaks volumes of the breeder, just my honest opinion. Good luck and I hope all works out great for you. Looking forwards to seeing photos in the near future.

Please leave this pup with its mother and litter for another two weeks.Ditto all above.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"established" does not mean the same as registered and registered - sometimes means with the local council not the ANKC.

If the bitch and her owner are registered with the ANKC, they are only supposed to breed with another ANKC registerd dog of the same breed. It's good that some health checking has been done.

As some of the others have pointed out "vax as per usual" excludes a 6 week old puppy going to a new home. So does the ANKC code of ethics. And good puppy raising - puppy should stay with the litter till at least 8 weeks.

And "checks out ok" means checking with independent sources to the breeders - not just their websites and testimonials because - that's stuff they wrote and approved and it's not independent info.

In my opinion - the best independent info comes from the breed club people, independent vets and maybe from owners at dog clubs. And maybe the LIDA database - to check that no bad genetics are associated with the parent dogs. A pretty website - doesn't cut it. Or I know a prince in Nigeria who would like to MAKE YOUR URGENT AQUAINTANCE.

ok, I am a breeder, I dont have a massive history as its only our first litter, but I have told all our families, that even pups going to other breeders will not leave before they are the full 8 weeks, one family asked if they could pick up puppy on Friday, they are 8 weeks on Sunday, and they still got a definite NO (which they were fine with) their vaccination would not be fully activated even a few days early, so at 6 weeks old, I would be very doubtful, our litter is currently 6 and a half weeks, yes they are 99 % weaned, but they are learning about what being a dog means! there is so much more than feeding that they get from their mum.

Ruth