Start Line Procedures "slingshot Start"

I have started reading the special Clean Run edition on Motivation & Self Control. They suggest for dogs that are a bit slow off the start line, to run with them if possible ie. no lead out. Yep...agree with that. But they then go on to suggest that you & your dog start off facing away from the start line, then do a little run away from it, then turn & take the first jump. The idea is that the dog forgets it's start line jitters & already has momentum when it crosses the start line. Is this legal in Australian Agility or would you be disqualified. :confused: I have never seen anyone do it, but it would be fun to give it a try.

Edited by sheena

As long as you stay within the ring it should be ok, but some start line obstacles are set up awfully close to the gate/ring ropes at times.

There is a few here in Vic who do variations of a "slingshot" start - some for motivational reasons, others to give themselves a slight advantage speed wise given their dog won't stay on the startline.

As long as you stay within the ring it should be ok, but some start line obstacles are set up awfully close to the gate/ring ropes at times.

There is a few here in Vic who do variations of a "slingshot" start - some for motivational reasons, others to give themselves a slight advantage speed wise given their dog won't stay on the startline.

That's what they called it in Clean Run....a "slingshot start". I have never seen it done but it is an interesting concept.

I've seen a few people down here do them as well, and we practice doing the running starts at training occasionally.

Though I doubt I will ever use it as my girl is quick of the mark and has a nice solid stay.

I don't think any judge would DQ doing a different sort of start as long as you (and your dog) stay in the ring and the dog appears to be under control :)

I've seen similar things at training when we are simulating a sequence that would come in the middle of a run instead of a start and where you would already have or need momentum such as distance handling challenges, though I haven't had much luck trying it myself and I haven't seen it at a trial.

HI Sheena,

In NSW you will see Ashley Roach do a very exaggerated slingshot start with "Joey" and I will do a bit of a slingshot with Pace, if running with the dog suits the course. A few other people use slingshots as well.

A judge will allow it, so long as you do not go over the start line - the start line, although it is marked by two posts (usually the electronic timers) does extend in a straight line accross the course - so if you go past the start line, then cross back over to do your slingshot it would be the same as returning to your dog to reposition it. This is penalised with a DQ.

If you take your dog over the startline, even if it is not attempting the jump, because you have gone past the refusal plane, I would consider that the timer should have been started and a refusal earnt.

To do a lingshot, it is usually easier to just start out to the side, rather thanwith your back to the course.

Cheers,

HI Sheena,

In NSW you will see Ashley Roach do a very exaggerated slingshot start with "Joey" and I will do a bit of a slingshot with Pace, if running with the dog suits the course. A few other people use slingshots as well.

A judge will allow it, so long as you do not go over the start line - the start line, although it is marked by two posts (usually the electronic timers) does extend in a straight line accross the course - so if you go past the start line, then cross back over to do your slingshot it would be the same as returning to your dog to reposition it. This is penalised with a DQ.

If you take your dog over the startline, even if it is not attempting the jump, because you have gone past the refusal plane, I would consider that the timer should have been started and a refusal earnt.

To do a lingshot, it is usually easier to just start out to the side, rather thanwith your back to the course.

Cheers,

Thanks Le...I was hoping you might reply on this. I will have to watch next time you run Pace...is that your young dog? It would be fun to give it a try. My dog will happily do a lead out, but if I run with her she gets a faster start, so I try to do this as much as possible.

I will have to watch next time you run Pace...is that your young dog? It would be fun to give it a try. My dog will happily do a lead out, but if I run with her she gets a faster start, so I try to do this as much as possible.

Yes, Pace is my younger, black and white girl. I did not have her from a pup, so do not have quite the same bond with her - she is easily distracted with what is happening around her, due to her working gundog sense of smell. She has a very stable lead out, and responds well to changes in direction, but is not as "connected" with me. She is more focused if I start the run with her.

Cheers,

Edited by canine fun sports