Q Re: Tick Treatments

Hi there, this is my first tick season as a dog owner.

Buddy is currently on comfortis for flea control.

Is it better to use advantix or continue with comfortis and use a preventic tick collar?

I had a few problems with fleas passing from cat to dog, and after a bit of trial and error now have the cat on revolution and dog on comfortis. If its better to use advantix for ticks I'm ok to lose a bit of flea protection, seeing as ticks can be fatal and fleas not. But would prefer to have optimal protection for both.

Ive read the tick collar can''t be used when swimming? does it need to be removed and replaced?

Buddy is a 30kg labrador, he swims a lot.

thanks.

You can't use Advantix if you have a cat, as it is deadly to cats, but you can use Frontline Plus which is fortnightly for ticks. Not sure how big your dog is, but you can buy the biggest size available & use a small syringe (from the chemist) to measure out the exact amount he needs. Daily searching is also a must.

ETA...sorry I didn't see that your dog is 30kg. I use it on my two dogs & they swim every day. They just have to stay dry for 48 hours after you apply it, & I don't put it just in one spot, I put it in several spots on the skin down along their backbone from the neck to the base of the tail.

Edited by sheena

You can't use Advantix if you have a cat, as it is deadly to cats, but you can use Frontline Plus which is fortnightly for ticks. Not sure how big your dog is, but you can buy the biggest size available & use a small syringe (from the chemist) to measure out the exact amount he needs. Daily searching is also a must.

ETA...sorry I didn't see that your dog is 30kg. I use it on my two dogs & they swim every day. They just have to stay dry for 48 hours after you apply it, & I don't put it just in one spot, I put it in several spots on the skin down along their backbone from the neck to the base of the tail.

Can I not use advantix at all on the dog if I have a cat?

Ok will have a look at frontline +

I would think it is only an issue if the dog and cat have contact eg. curl up together. If they ignore each other then I can't see how the cat would ingest any and come to any harm.

I would think it is only an issue if the dog and cat have contact eg. curl up together. If they ignore each other then I can't see how the cat would ingest any and come to any harm.

Dr Google seems to have 2 schools of thought....cat can die horribly just looking at treated dog or cat lives happily with treated dog.

My cat may come into contact with the stuff when she is ripping Buddy's eyes out.

If frontline plus is as effective then I will probably go with it just for peace of mind. I accidentally poisoned my cat last year with chicken wormer and it was awful :(

I have used Advantix for years and have 3 indoor cats. Provided you are sensible about it, it is not an issue. Best to call Bayer directly to talk to them about it but the product binds within a time frame. I part the fur and slowly apply the product in three sections down the back. This way I get no excess dripping off, or greasy spot - even on my Stafford who has very short fur!

The Frontline top spot is usually useless for ticks.

With any product where you want to double up on prevention it is always best to speak to your vet first.

If its better to use advantix for ticks I'm ok to lose a bit of flea protection, seeing as ticks can be fatal and fleas not. But would prefer to have optimal protection for both

Advantix is a flea and tick preventative.

I have used Advantix for years and have 3 indoor cats. Provided you are sensible about it, it is not an issue. Best to call Bayer directly to talk to them about it but the product binds within a time frame. I part the fur and slowly apply the product in three sections down the back. This way I get no excess dripping off, or greasy spot - even on my Stafford who has very short fur!

The Frontline top spot is usually useless for ticks.

With any product where you want to double up on prevention it is always best to speak to your vet first.

If its better to use advantix for ticks I'm ok to lose a bit of flea protection, seeing as ticks can be fatal and fleas not. But would prefer to have optimal protection for both

Advantix is a flea and tick preventative.

I find the Frontline Plus Spot On really good for ticks...as good as the Advantix & it goes further.

Dr Google seems to have 2 schools of thought....cat can die horribly just looking at treated dog or cat lives happily with treated dog.

My cat may come into contact with the stuff when she is ripping Buddy's eyes out.

If frontline plus is as effective then I will probably go with it just for peace of mind. I accidentally poisoned my cat last year with chicken wormer and it was awful :(

There is no risk with Advantix for dogs that live with cats.

When Advantix is applied to the dog, you need to separate the cat from the dog AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION ONLY for a period of approx 8 hours to enable the active ingredients to disseminate to the lipid layer of skin on the dog. The reason Advantix is not for use on cats is that it contains Permethrin which cats cannot metabolize. (all permethrin are toxic to cats)

There is NO RISK WHATSOEVER for a cat to live with a dog that wears Advantix. It is only toxic to apply to a cat or if the cat was to cuddle the dog when the product is wet.

After the product dries the cat cannot get a dose even when kissing cuddling or sleeping together as the active ingredients have moved and settled to the waterproof lipid skin lauyer ( ie the 3rd layer of epidermis, where the skin/hair cell production occurs and hair shaft originates). Advantix is the only product registered for Kill and repellency of Ticks (Incl paralysis and other ticks) Fleas, flies, mosquitoes and all biting insects. It has a 98% efficacy (efficiency) for paralysis ticks 100% efficacy for fleas flies mozzies ect and kills parasites on contact along with repelling them. It also kills the flea larvae in the enviroment wherever the dog lays Frontline crosses into the bloodstream and the fleas, ticks need to bit to get a dose and Frontline has no repellency effects.Frontline has a 67% efficiency and has a poorer performance rate for fleas and ticks. There would be no point using comfortis with Advantix. Comfortis ONLY TREAT ADULT FLEAS which only account for 5% of the problem of fleas in the lifecycle. Also regarding the comment of "splitting" doses between various dogs, The suspension of the ingredients does not mix evenly throughout so by "splitting a dose" you are at high risk of giving a dog No active ingredients whatsoever. The carrier - Methylpyroliodine does not blend the actives therefore a Very dangerous practice.

There is no risk with Advantix for dogs that live with cats.

When Advantix is applied to the dog, you need to separate the cat from the dog AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION ONLY for a period of approx 8 hours to enable the active ingredients to disseminate to the lipid layer of skin on the dog. The reason Advantix is not for use on cats is that it contains Permethrin which cats cannot metabolize. (all permethrin are toxic to cats) There is NO RISK WHATSOEVER for a cat to live with a dog that wears Advantix. It is only toxic to apply to a cat or if the cat was to cuddle the dog when the product is wet.

After the product dries the cat cannot get a dose even when kissing cuddling or sleeping together as the active ingredients have moved and settled to the waterproof lipid skin lauyer ( ie the 3rd layer of epidermis, where the skin/hair cell production occurs and hair shaft originates). Advantix is the only product registered for Kill and repellency of Ticks (Incl paralysis and other ticks) Fleas, flies, mosquitoes and all biting insects. It has a 98% efficacy (efficiency) for paralysis ticks 100% efficacy for fleas flies mozzies ect and kills parasites on contact along with repelling them. It also kills the flea larvae in the enviroment wherever the dog lays Frontline crosses into the bloodstream and the fleas, ticks need to bit to get a dose and Frontline has no repellency effects.Frontline has a 67% efficiency and has a poorer performance rate for fleas and ticks. There would be no point using comfortis with Advantix. Comfortis ONLY TREAT ADULT FLEAS which only account for 5% of the problem of fleas in the lifecycle. Also regarding the comment of "splitting" doses between various dogs, The suspension of the ingredients does not mix evenly throughout so by "splitting a dose" you are at high risk of giving a dog No active ingredients whatsoever. The carrier - Methylpyroliodine does not blend the actives therefore a Very dangerous practice.

Sorry but I have to disagree there (re the bit I bolded in your post). I've seen a few cases of cats who have died or gotten critically ill a week to two after the dog was treated with Advantix. Some cats are more sensitive. After speaking to the company reps at conference last week, there recommendation was to use advantage (made by the same company) and a tick collar (or in my situation - permoxin.)

I use comfortis and permoxin, and I've had some great results. However, you need to use what works best in YOUR situation. My oldest girl can't use anything but comfortis for fleas at all the other top spots on the market give her skin irritations. Since being on comfortis the flea burden on my property has dropped to basically zero, on the other products we were struggling. Comfortis may only kill the adult flea, but it does so before they are able to lay eggs, which is why it is so effective over time.

The clinic I work for now sells Frontline the least now compared to this time last year, as clients are finding it ineffective. Any of our dog and cat owners are recommended a flea product (depending on situation) and either to use it fortnightly (if frontline) or a tick collar.

Also, I just double checked the packaging, to be totally effective on ticks, Advantix MUST be applied fortnightly, so if I owned a Cat still, I'd definitely be avoiding it.