Eye Ointment In Dog's Eye

Ons

He is a wriggle worm and as a flat face breed - a griffon - nothing to hold onto to help.

Eye currently stitched up as had an awful accident and the vet said try and put ointment in if possible. So far no luck.

any suggestions from anyone?

thank you :)

Two ways to try:

1) Tilt his head up so he is looking at the roof and drip the ointment from a height.

2) Wash your hands thoroughly. Put some ointment on the tip of your little finger, then use that finger to pull down the lower lid and smear the ointment into the eye as you go.

You only need to get a tiny bit in the eye and then when he blinks, it will spread out. Give him a treat as soonas you've done it so he learns that meds = food.

I would avoid head locks if possible especially with brachy dogs because if you are too firm you could proptose the globe. Also, if the cornea is fragile and you put the dog in a head lock, you could pop the eye.

Edited by taketwo

Sit on the floor and back him up in between your legs so his back is toward you. Use your legs to help hold his body, one hand to hold his face still the other to administer the ointment.

Alternatively, use a corner. I have developed a method whereby one wall of the corner stops my dog moving sideways away from me. The back wall stops him backing up. I stretch one of my legs back and that stops him backing around the corner. Use one hand to hold his face steady against your leg to allow you to apply the ointment. My boy has had so much handling over the years that once in the corner, he is so compliant I can do pretty much whatever I need to do. Follow up with a tasty treat. Randomise - don't always ask your dog to move into the corner and follow through with stuff he doesn't like. Many times, follow through with just a yummy treat so he can begin to look forward to being in the corner. My boy moves into 'his' corner at my request without collar/lead or other restraint aid.

ETA - I never lie to my dog. IOW I don't 'make out' I'm going to do one thing but then do another

Edited by Erny

Also, don't try to get the ointment INTO his eye....if you can use the sneaky method, even if you are doing something else like cuddling on the couch or whatever, just quickly run a line of ointment along the lid. Generally the body warmth will warm the ointment enough that some will leech into the eye and some is better than none and a huge kerfuffle anyway.