Learning Theory

I don't know the scientific term for it, but a similar thing happens with humans too. John Cleese (yes, the comedian) has tours and speaks about this as he has an interest in psychology. It is based off a book called Hare Brain and Tortoise Mind.

In a nutshell, a break, with the pressure off, gives time for your subconscious mind to solve a problem. I wonder what is happening in our dogs' heads?

I have noticed this a few times with Fergus, especially training the weavers and 2o2o. Originally I was told to "practice, practice, practice" but after a break of over a week he nailed the weavers and the nose touch, no problems.

I can't remember the name but at Uni we studied how there is a transition period between short term memory to long term memory. The new skill appears to be forgotten while the hardwiring in the brain adapts - in children usually for about 5 days.

I can't remember the name but at Uni we studied how there is a transition period between short term memory to long term memory. The new skill appears to be forgotten while the hardwiring in the brain adapts - in children usually for about 5 days.

Sounds like a similar thing :) thanks :)

I would call it latent learning - if the dog did not know it but comes back later knowing it, it is not a transition from short term to long term memory - because the dog had no short term memory of it in the first place.

Latent learning is the ability to figure something out while you are not actively doing the task - you might be observing it, or just thinking about it, or "sleeping on it". I have not gone and taken out my text books to check the definitions, but this is my recollection of what was taught to me (quite some time ago) when I was doing some behaviour classes at Uni.

On the agility thread, one of the most useful uses of laten learning is to help memorise a course. Just shut your eyes and visualise it, running the course in your mind.

Cheers,

Latent learning was my thought too.

We have an afghan in the foundation class I am taking at the moment and he is a great example of it. You can really see him watching and thinking but not doing the first time something is attempted. Come back the next week and he will take a big leap forward from just standing and looking. He seems to treat everything with suspicion the first time it is presented but then goes away and thinks about it.

Last night he did a big jump forward with the tunnel - from standing and assessing it the previous week but wanting no part of going in it or touching it, last night he suddenly decided he could bend his body and get his head and shoulders in there and stand there like that. Will be interesting to see how much further he offers next week.

I would think of it as latent learning as well and habituation is one of the 'up there' prime examples I use of it. I love latent learning ..... To see the surprised and rapt expressions on the dogs' owners faces when it has occurred is delightful and priceless.