Protocols Involved With Mating

Hounder

I am interested to know what breeders do when their bitch and dog live in the same house. This (if all goes to plan) will be my first litter. In the past, obviously, the dog and bitch have been seperated, but as I intend for them to mate, what protocols do you follow?

Do you leave them together till she is receptive and then only allow conjugal visits?

Do you leave them to it (with supervision) for the entire time?

I imagine the latter would end up with exhausted dogs but I am interested to hear of what others do.

Cheers

My girls are separated from the boys once they come in season. I use prog testing to guide me as to when to put them together again but they would only be together for the mating and then separated again. The boys would get too worked up otherwise and they would hassle the bitches too much.

My girls are separated from the boys once they come in season. I use prog testing to guide me as to when to put them together again but they would only be together for the mating and then separated again. The boys would get too worked up otherwise and they would hassle the bitches too much.

Thanks Flatchat. That was what I was thinking but just wanted some confirmation. I'm a tad nervous :D

Guess it all depends on the dog - my boy that lives with us is such a little gentleman at present one of my girls is in season and don't want a mating and they are separated by baby gates in the house and he just sits and waits and hopes I guess - when they are all together keep a belly band on him which works well with supervision but then he is not a big dog. Have let them "run" together in the past without problems and they are not at it all the time by any stretch of the imagination but thats just my dogs which are mini poodles - have heard all sorts of horror stories about some males who go crazy at this time - mind you the girls get pretty full on at that time too. These days I usually let them have two or three supervised matings and the rest of the time keep them separated either way no problems to be honest.

I always allowed them to run together supervised until the dog showed interest then seperated them and allowed supervised matings with them allowed together for a couple of hours after a mating until the dog had recovered, then seperated until another mating the next day. You need to know exactly when they have mated, especially if you don't progesterone test, so leaving them unsupervised is not a good idea. The declaration on service certificate states that you witnessed the mating so you do need to see it happen. When the girl is ready to attack the boy for looking at her, she had gone out of season and it is safe to allow them back together again.

I seperate them when the bitch first comes in and then put them together for a short while until I see a mating and then run them together until she goes off. I've not had any issues doing it this way and my bitches have fallen pregnant.

I've had issues when I've stuffed around, tried to supervise matings and intervened. A mating is a natural thing, it's not rocket science and they are best left alone to get on with it.

I always allowed them to run together supervised until the dog showed interest then seperated them and allowed supervised matings with them allowed together for a couple of hours after a mating until the dog had recovered, then seperated until another mating the next day. You need to know exactly when they have mated, especially if you don't progesterone test, so leaving them unsupervised is not a good idea. The declaration on service certificate states that you witnessed the mating so you do need to see it happen. When the girl is ready to attack the boy for looking at her, she had gone out of season and it is safe to allow them back together again.

This is sort of what I envisioned. She is day 3 and they are a bit flirty. I think early next week we will seperate and then see what happens on friday, that should be day 9. I'm not prog testing so am relying on them. My girl is very unlikely to tell him to piss off as she is submissive and loves his attention. Even now she is all over him and her only way of saying no is to lie down bless her :)

This is sort of what I envisioned. She is day 3 and they are a bit flirty. I think early next week we will seperate and then see what happens on friday, that should be day 9. I'm not prog testing so am relying on them. My girl is very unlikely to tell him to piss off as she is submissive and loves his attention. Even now she is all over him and her only way of saying no is to lie down bless her :)

You may find that the most submissive girls can be the most vocal when it is time to tell the boy to "eff off". Hormones can do very interesting things.