Dog Smell After Sunbaking

mochi

Hi everyone!

Just a question for you out of personal interest.

Does anyone find that their dog smells different after they've been lying around in the sun? My dog (staffy x with short hair) normally doesn't have a noticeable smell but after a beloved sunbaking session, she smells weird. Almost like the smell of rain :confused: It fades after awhile when she comes back inside. I don't think it's the heat that's doing it, because she can lie in front of the heater for hours and there's no smell, it's just the sunshine. I'm not complaining, I just find it very bizarre and a bit endearing!

Does anyone else's dog do this? :shrug:

My white greyhound has a particular smell about her. It's weird I can't put my finger on it and no one else can smell it(greyhounds have no odour) but I can smell it :shrug: and she is a chronic sunbaker. I hope you are putting sunscreen on your sun worshipper though :)

Edited by stans mum

Smells like rain? You may be smelling Petrichor ('the scent of raIn') even though it is not raining as a result of smelling Geosmin, an organic compound (and contributor to producing that scent of rain), which may be on the dogs coat if it likes to lay in dirt sometimes?

Thanks all, yes Stan's mum I sunscreen her up because her belly hair is so sparse. I can smell the sun smell over the sunscreen even hehe

Espinay, I think you're onto something because she loves a good roll around on the grass!

My white greyhound has a particular smell about her. It's weird I can't put my finger on it and no one else can smell it(greyhounds have no odour) but I can smell it :shrug: and she is a chronic sunbaker. I hope you are putting sunscreen on your sun worshipper though :)

I've noticed the white/mostly white greys smell a lot stronger, especially after a bit of sun.

Also, if there's been a squabble, they'll smell stressy (kind of a similar smell) for a few hours until everyone calms down again :shrug: