Pound You May Not Know Is There Wollondilly Pound

Just a quick not to any rescue with a 16d this pound is happy to work with rescue they aren't a huge pound, I'm not sure if many rescue groups even know they are there. I have attached the website link. If interested please contact the pound directly.

http://www.wollondilly.nsw.gov.au/index.php?option=com_jentlacontent&view=article&id=499010:animals-for-sale-lost-and-found-as-at-30-august-2012&catid=2575:animals-pets-wollondilly&Itemid=3052

Edited by Lab Rescue NSW/ACT

We've rescued from Wollondilly before too.

A friend of mine has thrown herself into volunteering for them, coming up with ways to improve their handling and rehoming of dogs, as well as getting word out to Rescue, so they are definitely improving as a Pound.

I have been taking a lot of smalls from there for approx 2 years, I have one of the volunteers helping me she lets me know when they are due. The pound are hanging on to a Pom boy for me for another week, they are great to work with.

I have had many great smalls from there.

Maree

CPR

Edited by keetamouse

I volunteer at the pound (I'm the friend mentioned by Plan B, above) and have been advocating for, fighting for, the animals at the Wollondilly/Picton pound to receive better outcomes, both re how they're treated whilst in the pound and their final outcomes.

The pound's kill stats for the 10/11 financial year were APPALLING, but the last six months they have noticeably improved as they've been under considerable scrutiny, and I have been spoon feeding them the solutions to their high kill status. It is only a small pound, and it would take very little for them to be a low kill facility, but they've put up considerable resistance to change, and it's only through months and months of staying on their case that they're finally taking some of the steps necessary to get them there.

I've been making contact with many rescue groups about the dogs at the pound and am continuing to network the dogs and cats in order to get them out alive. I'm glad that some folk on this thread have found Council helpful, because a number of others have found them very difficult to deal with. Fingers crossed Council will become more consistently positive and cooperative in their attitude to rescue groups.

Thanks for bringing folks' attention to the pound, I GREATLY appreciate any and all help that the Wollondilly animals can get.

I am meeting with senior managers of Council on Wednesday to continue discussions about the protocols and protections needed for the Wollondilly animals, and also ways Council can be proactive in promoting the animals and meeting community expectations (not to mention their legal obligations) with regards to the handling of impounded companion animals.

Thanks again, it would be Fantastic if more rescues could get dogs from Wollondilly.

Oh, and Lab Rescue... do you take cross bred Labs in to care? There's a lovely, lovely young dog at the pound at the moment who they've put down as a Lab cross. He's very people oriented (not that interested in other dogs if there's a person to talk to instead), friendly and smiley. He's got Big feet and plenty of bone; I'm not sure what else might be in the mix, but he's very attractive. I didn't walk him myself on the weekend, but the volunteer who did was very positive about him. He'd be a very devoted companion for someone who can put in a bit of training time to guide his youthful enthusiasm.

He can be viewed by going here and clicking on the dated link: http://www.wollondilly.nsw.gov.au/index.php?option=com_jentlacontent&view=category&id=2575&Itemid=3052

Edited by melchiron9

Is anyone in Sydney able to help this guy, he is being held till early next week, apparently he is a lovely boy.

I am in Wollongong and have a foster vacancy.Can you tell me more about him . . .temperament etc? I have looked at the website and it doesnt say much.

When I spoke with Tania from PAWS last night she was happy for him to go to CPR Maree, 'cause she hasn't got a placement for him as yet. My understanding was that he was coming to you late next week if no one else was able to take him earlier on...?

To Carlo11, I volunteer at the pound where this Spitz boy is; he is a lovely, affectionate, friendly boy. Just adores pats and being with you. His teeth are in good order, his coat has some burrs and seeds in it, but I'm pretty sure that a thorough grooming would be sufficient, I don't think he'd need to be fully clipped off. The pound have listed him as a Pomeranian cross, but to me he looks like a German Spitz (same family of dogs, just larger). He is much larger than a Pom, probably about three to four times larger, but still not a big dog, and not even what I think of as a medium sized dog. When you take him out of the pen and into an exercise yard he's social enough with other dogs (through the fences) but doesn't seek them out to play with up and down the fences. He's very happy to be with the person he's with. He presents as a low-medium energy fellow - a bit of a walk away from the dog compound area and he's quite satisfied, he wouldn't demand exercise.

Hope that helps,

Which rescue group are you with Carlo11?

We do take crosses when we have room and we have advertised both on our f/b page I spoke to Ashliegh this morning and it looks like one of the families we sent to look at the lab x adopted one. Great news. The little gold one I will keep refering people looking for x to the pound but at the moment with all the pups we have in care 15 in total we don't have any more room for another lab x.

Currently working to move some Labs to new forever homes so we have room for school holidays we got 15 surrenders in 13 days last holidays. I hate school holidays so much. :(

I volunteer at the pound (I'm the friend mentioned by Plan B, above) and have been advocating for, fighting for, the animals at the Wollondilly/Picton pound to receive better outcomes, both re how they're treated whilst in the pound and their final outcomes.

The pound's kill stats for the 10/11 financial year were APPALLING, but the last six months they have noticeably improved as they've been under considerable scrutiny, and I have been spoon feeding them the solutions to their high kill status. It is only a small pound, and it would take very little for them to be a low kill facility, but they've put up considerable resistance to change, and it's only through months and months of staying on their case that they're finally taking some of the steps necessary to get them there.

I've been making contact with many rescue groups about the dogs at the pound and am continuing to network the dogs and cats in order to get them out alive. I'm glad that some folk on this thread have found Council helpful, because a number of others have found them very difficult to deal with. Fingers crossed Council will become more consistently positive and cooperative in their attitude to rescue groups.

Thanks for bringing folks' attention to the pound, I GREATLY appreciate any and all help that the Wollondilly animals can get.

I am meeting with senior managers of Council on Wednesday to continue discussions about the protocols and protections needed for the Wollondilly animals, and also ways Council can be proactive in promoting the animals and meeting community expectations (not to mention their legal obligations) with regards to the handling of impounded companion animals.

Thanks again, it would be Fantastic if more rescues could get dogs from Wollondilly.

Oh, and Lab Rescue... do you take cross bred Labs in to care? There's a lovely, lovely young dog at the pound at the moment who they've put down as a Lab cross. He's very people oriented (not that interested in other dogs if there's a person to talk to instead), friendly and smiley. He's got Big feet and plenty of bone; I'm not sure what else might be in the mix, but he's very attractive. I didn't walk him myself on the weekend, but the volunteer who did was very positive about him. He'd be a very devoted companion for someone who can put in a bit of training time to guide his youthful enthusiasm.

He can be viewed by going here and clicking on the dated link: http://www.wollondilly.nsw.gov.au/index.php?option=com_jentlacontent&view=category&id=2575&Itemid=3052

When I spoke with Tania from PAWS last night she was happy for him to go to CPR Maree, 'cause she hasn't got a placement for him as yet. My understanding was that he was coming to you late next week if no one else was able to take him earlier on...?

To Carlo11, I volunteer at the pound where this Spitz boy is; he is a lovely, affectionate, friendly boy. Just adores pats and being with you. His teeth are in good order, his coat has some burrs and seeds in it, but I'm pretty sure that a thorough grooming would be sufficient, I don't think he'd need to be fully clipped off. The pound have listed him as a Pomeranian cross, but to me he looks like a German Spitz (same family of dogs, just larger). He is much larger than a Pom, probably about three to four times larger, but still not a big dog, and not even what I think of as a medium sized dog. When you take him out of the pen and into an exercise yard he's social enough with other dogs (through the fences) but doesn't seek them out to play with up and down the fences. He's very happy to be with the person he's with. He presents as a low-medium energy fellow - a bit of a walk away from the dog compound area and he's quite satisfied, he wouldn't demand exercise.

Hope that helps,

Which rescue group are you with Carlo11?

I am with DCH.:)

We do take crosses when we have room and we have advertised both on our f/b page I spoke to Ashliegh this morning and it looks like one of the families we sent to look at the lab x adopted one. Great news. The little gold one I will keep refering people looking for x to the pound but at the moment with all the pups we have in care 15 in total we don't have any more room for another lab x.

Thanks very much for that! I was thrilled yesterday when I found out Bailey had been adopted, he's a lovely boy - very affectionate and schmoozy - so that's great, thanks for giving the dogs exposure on your page, really appreciate it.