Denying A Dying Owners Last Wish

mantis

A dear friend of mine who I have known for over 50 years, was diagnosed with terminal cancer in July & was given 6 to 9 months to live. She had a 6 year old rescue Pom X who had issues with children & people touching his head if he didn't know & trust them, so my friend was going to have him PTS after her passing, because she didn't want him going back into rescue & probably being PTS anyway.

Fortunately a week later the unit next to hers became vacant, so I organised to move in there & take care of both her & her dog & adopt her dog after she passed, so he could stay in the place he knew & with all his doggy friends who live in the block of units.

Sadly she passed away 5 weeks later. :cry:

The day after her funeral, her son rang me to say that they wouldn't let me have the dog, because two of the tenants were annoyed & jealous that I was getting the dog, even though neither of them wanted to take him & they couldn't cope with these people harrassing them over the issue, as they had enough to deal with. I was so upset that I couldn't grant my friend her dying wish & absolutely furious with the two morons, who used to sponge off my friend & were so selfish, that they would disrespect her wishes, when she did so much for them for many years. :mad

The other tenants in the units, are also disgusted & angry by the two morons behaviour.

So now I haven't got little Angus, I am hoping to get a dog from Staffy Rescue, because I need a doggy in my life.

Well yes, I think I'd be more than a little bit distressed at the turn of events.

But having now dealt with two bereavements within a year (my parents) and their dogs and affairs, I think the lesson to be learned from your situation, is to have anything concerning animals put into writing and added to the will. That way, the intentions are crystal clear and nobody else can make the decisions.

What horrible people the neighbours must be to be having a whinge to her poor son at a time like that, they should be ashamed of themselves!

I wonder if they realise they're acting like 5 year olds? I understand grief does odd things to a person, but for heavens sake, that's just ludicrous!

So what became of the poor pooch? Did the son take him or was he PTS?

What horrible people the neighbours must be to be having a whinge to her poor son at a time like that, they should be ashamed of themselves!

I wonder if they realise they're acting like 5 year olds? I understand grief does odd things to a person, but for heavens sake, that's just ludicrous!

So what became of the poor pooch? Did the son take him or was he PTS?

The son said he is keeping him, but he has grandchildren & Angus has bitten two of her great grandchildren, which is why she didn't want them to take him. I just hope they are very careful when children are around.

Yes, maybe once the grief and emotions settle he will return Angus to you. Make sure he knows you continue to be interested in honouring your friend by given her dog a new life with you. Maybe you can also offer to visit (supervise) the children with Angus in return?

I know of a family who had two healthy and beautiful rotties PTS after their son died unexpectedly from an accident. They just didn't think (or couldn't emotionally accept) that they could be loved and cared for as well by someone else. And yes a resacue group was working with them closely to try and change the outcome. All very sad.

They were my next door neighbours growing up, I went to school with them & spent more time at their place than my own, because they had Danes that they showed, that I went too with them.

I move in tomorrow, but will wait a couple of weeks before I ring him, because I don't want to hassle him, while he is still grieving.

What an awful situation, mantis. :(

I'm confused though, how do some random tenants of the building have any right to interfere, let alone have any bearing on such a situation? One can only hope that the son has a change of heart once all the emotions die down. I would stay close just in case they grow tired of him and decide to PTS.

This sounds too strange for words. Why would the grieving son take heed of what your neighbours have to say? what business is it of theirs and why couldn't the son tell them to buzz off and leave him alone? I can understand that he is going through a rough time but even more the reason to tell these a*rseholes to mind their own business. I hope all transpires well in the end, keep in touch with him and hopefully you will be reunited with the dog. It's moments like these that make me realise just how hateful some people can be, karma to the b*astards. Hope admin. doesn't mind the language here.....:o