Do Dogs Have Mid Life Crises?

samoyedman

My 6 year old dog is perfectly healthy and happy. He is central to my life and gets 2 walks every day.

Lately he is appearing a little agitated. He will come up to me, sit, stare at me with tail wagging and try and guilt me into walking him more.

He is getting up earlier in the mornings and nudging me in bed, like he's ready to go and giving me the hurry-up.

I thought dogs were meant to slow down as they age, not become more active.

I don't know where this spurt of energy is coming from . There has been no change to his diet. And yes he is desexed.

Is this perhaps the equivalent of a doggy mid-life crisis?

Maybe he needs some time away at a dog resort since I can't take him to Bali or on a cruise?

No they don't and they don't do guilt either...

It sounds like he is trying to get your attention though.

Do you do anything else with him other than 2 walks a day?

I could walk Ziggy 10 times a day and it wouldn't be enough... He needs mental stimulation as well. We do a few training sessions a day to wear his mind out.

My old Stafford was still an idiot at 10 years old... I think a lot of dogs retain some silly puppiness...

I think they do guilt.

Curious.. How do dogs do guilt?

I know when I go out, Ziggy looks at me like he wants to come. Same when I am eating and he is in the same room (the eyes would have you think he was never fed) - is this guilt?

Isn't guilt more of a human emotion?

I am always getting into trouble for humanizing Zig (giving him human emotions when they are not really there because it makes me feel better/guilty/sad) - maybe he is trying to make me feel guilty for not taking him.

Don't get me wrong, I believe they do have 'emotions' but I think as dog lovers we read more into them then is actually there..

Just my opinion but I am curious now as to others view on this. Maybe I should start another thread, sorry for the hijack SM.

I think they do guilt.

I know when I go out, Ziggy looks at me like he wants to come. Same when I am eating and he is in the same room (the eyes would have you think he was never fed) - is this guilt?

I am always getting into trouble for humanizing Zig (giving him human emotions when they are not really there because it makes me feel better/guilty/sad) - maybe he is trying to make me feel guilty for not taking him.

Don't get me wrong, I believe they do have 'emotions' but I think as dog lovers we read more into them then is actually there..

Just my opinion but I am curious now as to others view on this. Maybe I should start another thread, sorry for the hijack SM.

Try guilt in the other direction. How do your dogs act if they've done something wrong?

I read a book recently called "Dog Sense". Very interesting. Covers domestication and goes through all the emotions.

The author believes that dogs do have similar emotions to us when it comes to the basics, joy, sadness, love etc but is unsure about more complex emotions such as guilt.

Great book.

I read a book recently called "Dog Sense". Very interesting. Covers domestication and goes through all the emotions.

The author believes that dogs do have similar emotions to us when it comes to the basics, joy, sadness, love etc but is unsure about more complex emotions such as guilt.

Great book.

Do their personalities ever change much after they become full grown dogs, assuming they live in the same environment all their lives and the same routine?

He didn't seem to think so no, there wasn't really a section on that.

They definitely have their own personalities though and I can't see why it wouldn't be natural for them to change a little just like we do as we get older.

He did address anthropomorphic tendencies in humans, something I have been very guilty of :laugh:

Let me know if you'd like to read it Sam I can send it to you.

Edited by Aussie3

I think they do guilt.

Try guilt in the other direction. How do your dogs act if they've done something wrong?

I never really thought about it like that...

I know if I come in and Ziggy has ripped up some tissues and I ask him if he did it.. He puts his head down and looks up at me sideways..

Would that be cinsidered guilt?

Or is he just reacting to my stance and tone?

This is interesting.. I think I am going to ask our behaviourist about it when our sessions start again.

That's not guilt, that's appeasement behaviour.

So a dog can't feel guilt but can do appeasement behaviour? That's completely illogical.

I never really thought about it like that...

I know if I come in and Ziggy has ripped up some tissues and I ask him if he did it.. He puts his head down and looks up at me sideways..

Would that be cinsidered guilt?

Or is he just reacting to my stance and tone?

This is interesting.. I think I am going to ask our behaviourist about it when our sessions start again.

My dogs can act like that when they've done something wrong even if I haven't reacted in any way.

Edited by Sheridan