First Time Showing At Perth Royal

MishB

Hey Perth Royal Show peeps..this is my first royal and I have no clue what to expect.

How much space do you get as your 'bench' area? I tend to spread my crap around at CAWA so this is going to be a challenge!

Do you bring your own chairs or do they provide them? Is there room enough for 2 chairs if you are only showing one dog?

Can people actually just reach out and touch your dog or is there a bit of space between the public and your dog?My boy is only going to be 9 months old so I dont want him completely traumatised, I read that the dog muct be visible to the public, but surely I can put the flaps on his crate down for him to rest in peace for a while.

Where do you take the dogs for a loo break? do I need to bring my own poo bags?

Is there anything that you take that is really useful at the royal in particular, that you wouldnt normally take to a regular show?

Is there a sign on your area saying what your dogs name or catalogue number is?

I have been to the show heaps as a general showgoer but never taken any notice of any of this type of stuff!

I have taken my kids around the pavillion collecting the hole punches to go in the entry box(no idea what it was ever for lol), I surely wouldnt be one of the exhibitors who would have a hole punch next to them would I? I have a Brittany so its not a well known breed.Should I have a info sheet on what the breed is because they arent known or not worry about that sort of thing?

You are able to bring your own food and drinks in arent you?

I am having a bit of a problem with the show ppl letting me bring my kids in with me when I arrive to set up, apparently they need to have passes to get in gate 11. I emailed and asked for clarification as I thought kids 12 & under were free this year and dont require tickets, but they have emailed me back and said they need pre purchased passes or will need to come in the general gate after 9am with another adult. So I have left a msg for her to ring me as I will have them in the car when I arrive and I cant leave them at the front gate on their own. I dont know what I will do if they arent allowed in?

You will get 2 passes .

The chances you get a reply back in time that makes sense will be low ,you may be lucky .

If you here nothing best beat is to buy passes from IGA.

As for stuff you will have your bench ,size can vary some large some small.

Spreading out isn't the easiest if you have neighbours,you can after 9am look for benches that may have more space though if you didn't nominate a spot.

When it comes to the royal lest is better .

I always take drinks because of the cost , i generally buy food but its just me,we use to do the lunch thing & breakkie thing but our group all decided its extra crap to cart in .

My guys stay in there crates unless i feel they can have time out or if i shift there crate can sit on the bench ,normally i will just let them lay on there table close to the bench so people can't reach.

If people ask to pat or look ligit i am happy to let them touch but i won;t get the dogs out if there sleeping or had enough especially if its a warm day the dogs really feel it inside .

No one polices the on display thing people will touch all day if you let them & you need to be on the ball to those who have good intentions & those that wish to tease fairy floss fingers,toffee apples & the kids with there giant toys or things that wish to annoy the dog .

You are lucky you will be first on before the public really arrive

I do print a sign saying we are friendly but please ask before patting & found it to work very well.

There is a rail between the bench & the dogs but some public feel there "special" & will move the rail .

Plan on toilet breaks (human)

There is a change room to the left as you head out to the exercise yard

You collect your numbers or cat at the bench near the office which you will see easily.

When you arrive you must turn to your right & on the board will be your bench number ,find your number & then go hunting for your bench,there are attendants there to help .

You can either drive in the turn around area or just park & walk over but that is where the stuff you bring makes life easier.

Often buying those pull along bags(the type the older ladies use for shopping $20 ) from red dot or similar are ideal even the kids can pull it along .

At night you can drive in the pull around or walk over to the car park often its easier to walk over as the cue can be forever as some people are very slow at packing . .the trick is to go out early & get the car & be in the cue early .

You can dress your bench up & make signs etc etc but again its all stuff to cart in.

I do signs stating breed,name etc .i use to do the bench up but the novelty wears off after awhile

The hole punch thing is pot luck & i will be honest i will refuse to do it ,

generally its a breed where the job can be shared around i will not do it if just me .it drives you crazy when you are benched next to someone that has it .

I truly take the bare essentials & if there is an item i wish to take on the "just incase list" i will leave it in the car & get a stamp out if need be & that has yet to happen .

You can place your gear under your bench,chairs can fit although if they have stuck you in s mall spot amongst people its harder .

Don't take to many valuables & if you do hide them .thiefs like to do the rounds

thanks Showdog for all the info!

I did get an email back this afternoon, I have to buy them passes at $26 ea if they are to come in wih me!!! Thats disgraceful, I cant even get my husband to 'drive thru' and leave til 9am, then go in through the main gate with them which would be cheaper as he would only have to pay for himself.

So Im thinking now that I will drive in with my 12yr old (he can use the 2nd pass) he can stay with the dog and our stuff while I go and park the car, Im not comfortable leaving anything unattended at all, so its either that or park and walk in with everything.

So rude of the show ppl...rant over...

My hubby can then bring our younger son in at 9am when the gates open.

Edited by Nariko

Pre-Sale Online Discount - On Sale Now!

Discount applies to the first 5,000 tickets sold.

CHILDREN 12 and under FREE

All children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult. No ticket required.

ADULT: $23.00

CHILD: $11.50

FAMILY: $57.50

PENSIONER: $11.50

SENIOR: $16.00

IGA Pre-Sales - Friday 31 August to Friday 28 September

Some stores may have tickets left after Friday 28 September, and if so, will continue to sell until Saturday 6 October or until sold out.

CHILDREN 12 and under FREE

All children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult. No ticket required.

ADULT: $23.00

CHILD: $11.50

FAMILY: $57.50

PENSIONER: $11.50

SENIOR: $16.00

I go on my own & leave the dogs whilst i park,there is no public in at that time & other dog people will watch your dog/stuff provided the dog is crated many wont watch them if tethered

You can ask if people have spare passes many end up doing so

I have never done Perth Royal, but from experience at others - try to take as little stuff as absolutely possible.

Especially as you'll have human children to look after as well! If the Perth benches are anything like anywhere else you can be quite pushed for space and often you are parked a fair way away from the pavillions, so the less you take the better! I always try and make sure EVERYTHING i have to carry can fit in one trolley, and I push the trolley and walk the dogs.

I went a while ago with one dog. I had a small amount of space directly infront of the bench which was about the size of her crate.

I took one chair a book, a drink and some nibbles. A friend came as well adn we asked to be benched togather but weren't.

I had my dog in a wire crate so she could be seen but not annoyed. I didn't so up my bench or have any name cards etc but would if I went again - which is pretty unlikely.

Do not take any more than you need you will not have the room for any excess.

I don't bring a chair :) We sit on the benches with the dogs LOL But we generally don't bother crating the dogs - they lie down tethered to the bench without and issue. Sometimes if we have young dogs we will bring a crate just in case but don't set it up unless needed (store it under the bench). We do have the trolley set up for grooming so if needed a dog can go in there ;)

Depending on how big your group is there are usually lots of spare spaces in the pavillion as well ;)

Nariko just so you know, when you get there (before gates open at 9am) there is no GP there, and i'm sure that whoever you are benched next to would be happy to watch your things, if needed :)

I also always take a crate but generally just leave them tethered to the benches. I do like having the option of giving them space in a crate though, especially the youngsters.

I do take a chair but end up barely sitting on it (although might be slightly different this year!) and I usually do sit on the benches with the dogs. it's goign to be odd this year having just one.

Nariko just so you know, when you get there (before gates open at 9am) there is no GP there, and i'm sure that whoever you are benched next to would be happy to watch your things, if needed :)

I also always take a crate but generally just leave them tethered to the benches. I do like having the option of giving them space in a crate though, especially the youngsters.

I do take a chair but end up barely sitting on it (although might be slightly different this year!) and I usually do sit on the benches with the dogs. it's goign to be odd this year having just one.

Thx ST, Ive bought a soft crate for Obi, so will be much lighter & easier to bring in :) I wont bring all of the crap I usually chuck in though.

I have bought 2 kids tickets just to make life easier if they want to 'help' me set up, if not, it was cheaper to do it that way than any other.Ron is going to make the day Im entered the show day for the boys so they wont be hanging around the dogs area much I am sure. He will probably take them home and just come back for me later.

Edited by Nariko

here is a pic i took of the bench our fist year at the royal with a rotti. the bench was quite a decent size i sat on it with her. i brought a large pet bed that is on it and it still had space in fornt and to the sides.

post-33396-0-91579900-1347537946_thumb.jpg

here is a pic i took of the bench our fist year at the royal with a rotti. the bench was quite a decent size i sat on it with her. i brought a large pet bed that is on it and it still had space in fornt and to the sides.

That is quite a lot of room, great, thx for sharing that pic.

I hadnt thought of 'dressing' my bench, maybe next year if I survive this year :D