Chewing Leather Furniture

Jozlyn

Need some ideas to stop Abby chewing furniture. I've tried "Stop Chew" the first couple of times she tasted it she had a fit, now I think she likes it :eek: I bought a can of lavender spray made with pure lavender oil from the chemist today, apparently dogs don't lavender, but that hasn't had any affect either! Tomorrow I'm going to just buy a bottle of oil and mix it water (Shannon Lush recipe) and try that, but I'm really not holding out any hopes for it.

SO any ideas anyone?

I have a million things in my lounge room that Hamish is allowed to chew so I just redirect him (but he's been really easy in terms of this sort of thing!!). Oh and I have a million sticks that are being brought in to the house that he chews, so we're a mess all the time! Hamish has also been taught that "no" or "ah ah" means stop doing whatever you're doing come to me and you'll get a treat, so I use that a lot! But I also try to make sure that I'm supervising in places of temptation, and if I can't be he will be put outside or in his crate.

Does she have enough appropriate chew toys? The routine I use is to stop them chewing the forbidden item and replace with a permitted chew toy.

I would block her from the room when not there to supervise. You could also try some of the "hand of god" style aversives - scat mats and motion activated sprays. If it were me tho', wouldn't bother with those, I'd put her somewhere else with appropriate chewies or toys and wait for her to get over it. Ours did.

She has plenty of chew toys, lots of different textures etc. She gets bones. Brain training, when I can't walk her. She knows that she's allowed to have anything in her toy box and that everything else is out of bounds. Although she still hasn't worked out that that includes socks and tissues!

Unfortunately given the layout of our house I can't stop her access to the chair she chews in it's current location, I will move it to a room that she doesn't have access to if I have to, but we use it a lot, so I want to leave that as a last resort.

She doesn't chew on it a lot, the damage to it is still quite minimal atm. She mainly seems to have a go at it at night, I'm not sure why that is.

Edit: What is a scat mat?

Edited by Jozlyn

I have a million things in my lounge room that Hamish is allowed to chew so I just redirect him (but he's been really easy in terms of this sort of thing!!). Oh and I have a million sticks that are being brought in to the house that he chews, so we're a mess all the time! Hamish has also been taught that "no" or "ah ah" means stop doing whatever you're doing come to me and you'll get a treat, so I use that a lot! But I also try to make sure that I'm supervising in places of temptation, and if I can't be he will be put outside or in his crate.

Yep, we're the same. But she knows the "outside" toys are not to come inside! I got sick of picking up sticks and all the gross things she kept brining in lol Re-direction isn't working very well with her anymore, nor is going AH! at her. If I have a full on long play session with her she'll stop, but I'm half wondering if she knows that now and has trained me!

I watch her like a hawk! Her toileting is still not that flash so I have to keep an eye on her to make sure I get her outside in time.

Do you rotate her inside toys, so she always has "new" toys to play with instead of getting bored with the same ones and therefor looking for stimulation elsewhere (ie: the new chair toy!)

Yep, I've had 3 kids! I know the power of toy rotation :D

What is she allowed to chew inside?

Anything that belongs to her.

Do you praise her for chewing her toys?

I never thought of that! :(

If you don't praise her for chewing her own toys, how will she learn what is her's and what isn't?

As for a deterant, try Vicks Vapourub on all the corners of the chair she is chewing or any other hard surface she takes a fancy to.

I agree will all the other advise.

My advise is do ot leave her unspervised with the chair!! Last year my pup destroyed my leather sofa :mad I made the mistake of letting her have access to the room unsupervised.

If your pup has taken a liking to the chair it is going to be hard to stop. And if she still has her baby teeth...........the worst is yet to come (when they get their adult teeth is when the real damage happens!!).

If you cannot block access to the room, Move the chair or put a puppy pen around the chair (i currently have done this with another sofa).

I threw thousands of dollars down the drain with my sofa being destroyed so better to be safe than sorry. :o

If you don't praise her for chewing her own toys, how will she learn what is her's and what isn't?

Good point! I guess she knows what's hers because I don't take it off her, I play with her with her toys?

As for a deterant, try Vicks Vapourub on all the corners of the chair she is chewing or any other hard surface she takes a fancy to.

Thanks, I'll try that in conjunction with the other suggestions.

I agree will all the other advise.

My advise is do ot leave her unspervised with the chair!! Last year my pup destroyed my leather sofa :mad I made the mistake of letting her have access to the room unsupervised.

If your pup has taken a liking to the chair it is going to be hard to stop. And if she still has her baby teeth...........the worst is yet to come (when they get their adult teeth is when the real damage happens!!).

If you cannot block access to the room, Move the chair or put a puppy pen around the chair (i currently have done this with another sofa).

I threw thousands of dollars down the drain with my sofa being destroyed so better to be safe than sorry. :o

I'll try the Vick's and see how that goes, if that doesn't work then I'll find a play-pen to put round it.

1. Supervise.

If she is doing it at night, restrict her access at night.

'Access all areas' is a privelidge to be earned, not a right.

The ONLY way she will learn that it is not a chew toy is to not let it BECOME a chew toy and to catch her in the act/don't let her chew it in the first place.

While she has access to it and can chew it, it is a self-rewarding activity.

Good point! I guess she knows what's hers because I don't take it off her, I play with her with her toys?

Thanks, I'll try that in conjunction with the other suggestions.

Stopping her from chewing a chair won't help with toilet training whereas a pen will.