Feeding - How Often?

Jozlyn

Abby is not eating her lunch, hasn't for about 5-6 days now, is she telling me that she no longer needs lunch? At only just over 4 months old I would have thought she'd need 3 meals a day until she is at least 6 months old.

She does get training treats between meals, but I have already deducted the amount of treats she gets from her main meals so that I am not over feeding her.

I tried searching the forums to see if this had already been asked but after an hour of fruitless searching I've given up and started a new thread :)

If shes telling you she doesnt need lunch, I'd listen to her and stop feeding lunch. All pups work on their own schedule!

Should I up the size of her other 2 meals to make up for what she's not eating for lunch?

Only if she readily eats it. Puppies grow in stages that can vary from week to week and even day to day. Some days they will be a lot hungrier than others and they usually know what they need.

I have started feeding mine two meals a day when he reached 6 months old. I reckon I can do that earlier too but Snowy tends to vomit out of hunger frown.gif when I stretch the in between meals. I will leave some treats in the treat balls or kong toys so he will spend his time eating it, slowly.

Now, he is in two meals a day with some treats in between. Getting fatter he is.. and need to cut down some treats or get him to walk more to burn out his fats. laugh.gif

I had another shih tzu boy last time where I weaned him off 3 meals when he reached 3 months old. Had him in two meals a day and he is fine. No vomit out of hunger, only when he refused to eat his morning meal, he'll vomit in the arvo. Other than that, all fine.