85mm F/1.4

Clicking Mad

I'm really tossing up if I should get this lens, after shooting some families photos and solely using the 100mm and the 40mm I'd love something in between. I've looked at the canon version 1.8 and the sigma 1.4 and seems the sigma gets the better reviews.

I still want the 70-200 but I think I'll get more use out of the 85mm

Mavericks Mission, did you get around to taking some photos with yours?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really very nice - the 1.8 is cheap for what it is. I used almost solely for the four shoots I did in Melbourne. I did drop down to the 50mm in a couple of spots when I was shooting near Brunswick St because the lane ways were tight.

I've also just replaced my 50mm this week and it is 100 times better than my old one.

Thanks Huga,your 85mm is the Nikon yea? Is the Nikon 1.4? You have probly already meantime it here, I'll read back.

Did you get the 1.8 again in the 50 or the 1.4? I can hardly bring myself to use my 50mm, it hunts like crazy, I've done some searches and apparently it's common on the 7D. I loved the 50mm in the Nikon ad used it most of the time. I think the Nikon version is much better built than the Canon. I couldn't believe how plasticy it feels. The 40mm is much better!

I thought for kids the 85mm would be a good one as I don't have to be right in their faces, that's what I love about the 100mm

Also I'd like to use the 85mm for some action shots, I think CM's pics here show it does that pretty good.

I have the Nikon 85mm 1.8G (was $615). It can't handle kids/dogs running towards me (changing focal plane). Side on is fine.

I upgraded (sort of) from the 50mm 1.8D to the 50mm 1.8G. Online reviews said there wasn't a noticeable difference between the 1.4 and 1.8 versions. The G is sooooo much better than my old D though. Much heavier and so much sharper. The D started out ok, but has been my workhorse for a few years and now images from it look noisy and soft. So very happy with the new version (which has AF-S, not that it matters to me). My last two selfies were on the new 50mm, sharp as a tack. For $247, I am super happy with it. Actually it was less, because Camera Pro sent me a $25 voucher.

The 24mm and 50mm are my only lenses that are fast enough for dogs and kids running towards me.

8144139552_cc7788eb73_z.jpg

8140519463_b80bb3a612_z.jpg

Thanks for all the info, I said it on face bokk but I'll say it again here, your hair looks awesome, love the colour!

I am hoping the 85mm will be a bit versatile for some doggy action and I think looking at CM's shots it will be. Now just gotta get it. :)

Snook I think your absolutely right, I'm just thinking in terms of out and about with the dogs and doing some portrait type shots with the 85mm if I decide I want to get some actions type shots, I'd like to be able to do both.

I still really want the 70-200 but I'm thinking at the moment with what I'm taking photos of I might get more use out of another prime? And the 85mm is I between what I already have.

Mine on the 7D needs something really distinct to focus on, or it searches for something to focus on even after I've taken my finger off the focus button ( I use back button focus) I put it on the 650D last night and it was the same but I used it today on the 650 in good light and it was fine, much better than it is on the 7D. The 40mm is totally different.

What happened with yours? something similar?

Thanks for all the info, I said it on face bokk but I'll say it again here, your hair looks awesome, love the colour!

Thanks. It's actually mostly a new shampoo, keeps the pinky purple tones in blonde hair :)

The 70-200 is a fantastic portrait lens. Heaps of wedding and portrait photographers use it as their workhorse. I'm not a fan because (a) it's a zoom and (b) it weighs a tonne.

I know I'm torn because I really want the zooming capacity for the dogs, beach days etc, but I have gotten so used to using the 40mm and the 100mm and I can totally understand why you would prefer to use a prime lens compared to a Zoom. But the 7D plus the 70-200 I can see myself only using it for specific occasions and at the moment I think I would benifit from the 85mm. I have been searching POTN and so many say the Canon 85mm 1.8 is great and it is half the price of the Sigma 1.4 but I am worried if I get the 1.8 I'll be kicking myself saying I should have got the 1.4. But in reality I can really only afford to have the 1.8 :laugh: Bloody hell what I really need is to win tattslotto then I could have one of everything! :laugh:

tlc - check the weight difference on the Sigma f/1.4 against the Canon f/1.8 I was surprised by how chunky the Sigma is, still it is much more practical for my purposes than the 70-200, which in effect only gets out to the beach, and the very occasional special trip.

missed your question re: people, answer = no, people portraits are non-existent in my files ;)

I am impressed I can get those head-on running at me shots, admittedly Lotus and Chester aren't really very fast like some dogs and I've spent a lot of time practising knowing their moves, Saxon has his unexpected mad moments which I've mostly missed so far.

I've recently noticed that mine struggles to get those long distant focus right. Like Saxon portraits 'specially it can't catch his dark eyes, even though I'm aiming for the contrasty-light in his eyes, it's too small a target at a distance to find focus I guess?

I have some more images to show, but I can't seem to get myself organised, it took like 2 days to get this reply up :eek:

I was hoping you would pop back in here! I have made up my mind my next lens will be the 85mm 1.8 (canon) I have to compromise as money is tight, but I think it will suit my needs for now, its nearly half the weight of the sigma and half the price. :laugh: It's under $400 at DWI (can't remember exact price) and I had a look at Teds and it is $599, the Sigma is a lot more. So 85 next then the 70-200. Just hoping I win some of the tattslotto from tonight then I can get one of everything! :laugh: *says she who hasn't even checked her ticket yet!!*

I went in search of testimonials on the Canon and have not found a bad one on the 1.8 yet and seen some great sample pics from that lens on a 7D so I'm pretty convinced.

Thanks for the reply.

Mine on the 7D needs something really distinct to focus on, or it searches for something to focus on even after I've taken my finger off the focus button ( I use back button focus) I put it on the 650D last night and it was the same but I used it today on the 650 in good light and it was fine, much better than it is on the 7D. The 40mm is totally different.

What happened with yours? something similar?

Yep - very similar. It is interesting in that the lens doesn't have the issues on my 400D.