Monteba

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So cute Evolving! :)

My red boy found his legs today and is taking some very wobbly (but very cute) steps. I think he would find it easier if he could see where he was going. Both of them look close to having eyes open, I actually expected to see them open when I got home from work today, I didn't expect to see wobbly little steps. I guess I can;t call him a fat slug anymore and his sister doesn't look to be too far behind.

Well poor Miss Ava has developed Mastitis, she was perfectly fine last night, fed the babies, ate her dinner, polished of their leftovers, played with the puppies and was her usual affection self. This morning after letting her out, she came in quite sad, lowered head, not wanting to move, when she went into the puppy pen, she did not even want to look at the leftovers, which is a huge concern, cause if there is any food, she is there!

So checked her gums, colour good, checked her temperature and it was 39.7!!, phoned the vet straight away and went in, vet checked her temp and she had gone up to 40.3!!!

Got her on antibiotics and rimadyl for pain relief and anti-inflammatory. As she isnt interested in food, I knew Rimadyl must be given with food, you could see she was quite sore and the look on her face was heartbreaking, so I got the vet to give her an injection of pain relief and anti-inflammatory, the change in 10 minutes was amazing, the brightness came back in her face and she was much much happier...

I still had to go to work, so Ava is spending the day under the watchful eyes of my lovely grandparents, who will spoilt her rotten and make sure she drinks well and keeps quiet.

The puppies have been on solid food since I introduced it at 2 weeks of age, they have been having breakfast and dinner since 3 weeks of age and get into it very well and very happy when they see the food coming.

They are 4 weeks old and still feed from Ava as well as have there breakfast and dinner (combination of red meat, puppy tinned Advance and Advance Rehydratable dry food).

The vet has recommended that since the are eating solids, that I should wean them now, as it will dry up Ava's milk supply and help with the mastitis.

I have heard mixed responses in relation to mastitis and what people choose to do, have heard sometimes its best to let the puppies continue to feed, to help relieve the pressure, as they basically massage and stimulate when feeding etc.

I will be also using cold compressors aswell to help relieve some of the heat and make her much more comfortable.

What are peoples opinions on the above?

I have no issues with monitoring them feeding on her when I am home and perhaps making sure no puppies suckle on the affected boob...

I obviously want to do what's best for both mum and pups and know that there are many on here with lots of valuable knowledge that I can utilise and take on board.

All in all though, the babies are fat and thriving, quite big babies, much larger pups at this age, that my other girls litter last year, happy bouncy babies, that are eating well.

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance :)

What a bugger Pockets :( Mastitis is awful and hits so quickly.

With Jazz I have been getting the pups to feed off of it and try and keep it empty. Difficult with only 2 pups though. I'm not sure if it tastes different but they seem less keen to feed from it and I had the same issue last time. Although with 9 pups last time it was easier as there weren't many other alternatives for pups and I would swap around between the biggest pups who was on it.

In the first day or 2 I was also using cold compresses to try and get some heat out of it and then massaging it myself in between. She came good pretty quickly although I just felt her before and thought it feels a little hard again so will go in there in a moment and give it another massage and put a pup on it.

Sorry to hear about the mastitis.....with Cavs in the past with mastitis I have hand expressed the effected boob and made sure the pups completly empty it as well.

Same senario with humans....I had it with all three of my children and Docs/midwifes all said have the baby still feed from that side :eek: It did hurt but helped clear the infected ducts.

Is she on antibiotics

Yes she is, and she was on them even when she got it from the C-section. I will admit to not being as vigilant with checking as I should have been as I was under the false impression that as she was on antibitotics she probably wouldn't get it.

I check every day, last night fine, this morning very swollen...it's gone down significantly :)

I have been massaging and expressing as much of the infected milk as I can :)

I still let the pups with her as she wants to be with them and I do not want to stress her :)

A discovery I made this weekend. Worming day is MUCH easier with only 2 puppies compared to 9. And when 1 is black and 1 is red there is no fear at all of doing a puppy twice and missing someone else, lol.

A discovery I made this weekend. Worming day is MUCH easier with only 2 puppies compared to 9. And when 1 is black and 1 is red there is no fear at all of doing a puppy twice and missing someone else, lol.

Haha I am going to have that fun tomorrow.

Some of the pups have opened their eyes now and are starting to learn to walk.

You are at the same fun stage as me :)

We had eyes open on Friday but the boy had been up and sort of walking (wobble, wobble, crash... lol) a few days before that. The girl is rapidly catching up and is up on her feet a lot now too.

They have also found their voices and started trying to play. It is so cute except when 3am becomes a good time to ark and growl!

The pups turned 2 weeks yesterday.

They all have their eyes open now and are all also over 1kg even my little boy. They are starting to want to play with each other.

So cute!! How many pairs of hands and how much time did that take? I struggle putting 2 in position. LOL

The pups turned 2 weeks yesterday.

They all have their eyes open now and are all also over 1kg even my little boy. They are starting to want to play with each other.

So cute!! How many pairs of hands and how much time did that take? I struggle putting 2 in position. LOL

I have done all my photos by myself so far. I put them on the ground on a vet bed and quickly snap photos and they stayed like that for a while. Lucky for me none of them wanted to run off very quickly. They were more of a problem with the individual shots as they want to wonder.

I am sure it will be more trouble when they are older.

Here are the boys

8266615538_9d1960d7a1_z.jpg

and the girls

8266615440_5269df289b_z.jpg

466282_10200178581286717_613478564_o.jpg

Love the photo's everyone!

The babies have been keeping me super busy. Our guys are now 5 weeks old. We visited a local nursing home yesterday and the residents absolutely loved the babies and they certainly lit up the faces of many of our elderly community :)

ETA. We have permission from this gentleman to post his photo :)

Edited by goldielover