Help! Recall Training

Hey guys,

I am currently still at a show so appoligise for any typos - on the iPhone.

I have always had issues with recalls with my Aussie shepherd, wants to please in every other way. But if he is off lead he is gone, sniffing and investigating and compeltely ignores me as if he is deaf.

Today was the last straw, he gave me a bit of a scare by darting back as I took his lead off to go into the crate and he was off, not running but trotting off sniffing and I only caught him because he stopped to sniff, we are next o a busy road and he could have easily been run over, so I am asking for help.

How can I try and teach my 15 month old to come when he is called? He was fine as a pup, just started when he realized he was an entire male!

Aside from the obvious problems, I would love to start in obedience and agility which is a problem if he wanders off!

Thanks so much

Invest in a long line/leash. I got one from Black Dog; it's 10m long and I chose the one that has a very light clip because Zeus always knew when he was still attached to a lead.

Also, do you have any areas that are fenced in such as a park, sporting oval? I started Zeus's recall training at a football ground, which is fully fenced and I found that it helped keep him contained.

I would be interested in some help with this also!

I have a 13 month old GSD who would rather have me chase him than come when called.

Any ideas for high value treats also? My dog isn't phased by food all that much :(

For my girl who thinks being chased is a game — I run away from her and make her chase me, it works a lot of the time in tricking her to come to me!

I would be interested in some help with this also!

I have a 13 month old GSD who would rather have me chase him than come when called.

Any ideas for high value treats also? My dog isn't phased by food all that much :(

Does he work for all his food? Do you feed him in a bowl? If I just got paid for doing nothing, I wouldn't want to work either.

All dogs, with the exception of those on their last legs, are food driven. Without food they die. The problem is that most suburban dogs get more than enough food for nothing so they don't work for food. Just stop feeding him in a bowl and make him do thing to earn the food and his attitude will change. It might take a bit of time but it will work.

Also think of access to reinforcement, not just obvious 'rewards'. Environmental and life rewards too. Such as going for walks, meeing and greeting dogs/people, chance to sniff, wander, run, swim, etc. You can use them all as rewards for desireable behaviour.

What I do is I call my dogs then run the other direction when they get to me I call them closer then reward, Try doing this with no distractions at first then slowly add distractions. Missy my whippet is still learning but shes getting better each and everytime, At first she would not listen and run up to everyone and not come back to me. Now when I see people I just say arhh come and she listens,sometimes she won't and still continues to run towards them with the second call she comes, If she doesn't I go to her and she gets put back onlead. Must people don't agree with this but most of the time the people are calling her when I'm trying to call her back.