Dogs Found After Long(ish) Periods Of Time

BDJ

Hi guys,

Following on from the good news story posted about Angelique, I thought it would be good to have a thread of similiar stories.

How long was he/she gone

What you did

Where you advertised etc

How you got them back etc.

It will give everyone a bit of a 'good news' read, and may help those who have lost a pet some ideas of long term solutions.

To start with mine - this wasn't a dog I lost, but one I helped to find.

It was many years ago (pre internet forums etc). I was sitting at my kitchen table and happened to look out the front as a schnauzer went trotting past. Unusual enough breed for me to notice, and definately strange to see no owner attached/following. I went out the front but in the 2 mins it took me to respond he had disappeared (in suburbia - lots of options of streets to turn down etc). Just because it was so unusual, I opened the morning paper and read the lost and found - and there was a lost schnauzer advert. I rang the number to be promptly abused and hung up on. I rang back and was 'politely' told that I was a krank call by a very upset crying lady. It took me a moment to get through to her that a) I was genuine, b) I knew what a schnauzer looked like (not a popular breed in those days) and c) he had literally trotted past 5 mins ago.

Long story short she drove around to the area and found him within the hour (he was holed up at a local park). It turns out he had been missing for about 5 weeks and she had receive lots of fake calls etc and had given up hope of finding him. The only reason he was still in the paper is because she had taken out a long term advert and could not work out how to cancel it. He was apparently in good health, albiet quite light on and with pads shredded to pieces. Looks like he lived on garbage can overflow etc.

If the advert hadn't been in that mornings paper, and I hadnt looked out the window in the 30 sec it took him to trot past, who knows when/if they would have been reunited

Zeus rottweiler missing 3 years.

Came home from work to be greeted by our other dog and zeus missing and he was the dog that would sit at front door not leave the yard totally odd.

did the street drives, pound watches and notifications drove all over our state to check pounds and litter adverts and for sale dogs etc

add in local papers,

Big painted billboard with his details etc.

i also advertised on line.

Tried A pet psychic as well.

After a year i gave up hope but still kept looking at pound websites and adds etc.

Almost three years later i got a call from a vet over an hour away to say they had our dog i looked out the window and was like no he is in my yard, when they told me his name i couldn't believe it. His microchip brought him home. She had found him trottin gon a main road on her way home from work the night before and stopped he jumped straight in the car, she scanned him the next day.

My sister's old staffy girl was taken when she was about 9 years old and she was found again when she was 13 years old.

Amazing story - Sister lives rural in a small village. Her old staffy used to roam around and get fed by everyone. She spent lots of time at the bakery a few houses up from my sisters place.

Bakery employs new girl, new girls takes a shine to Ellie and takes her home one day and never returns to work.

My sister and her family were beside themselves but moved on eventually.

A new friend of my sisters comes for coffee - sees a bit portrait photo of Ellie and asks how she knows 'Bella' - Sister tells her that is her old dog and she went missing years ago.

Friend tells sister - that dog has lived next door to me for about 4 years..

Sister and hubby go and check it out - yep, it's Ellie (microchip proved it).

They contact police, bring her home but at this stage Ellie is almost blind and really unwell. She had her at home for about 2 weeks but Ellie was getting worse with them and spent most of her time under the bed or under the table.

So, she gave her back to the elderly lady that had been looking after her for the last 4 years as Ellie as scared when she bought her home and they worked all the time and didn't have the time to spend with her.

From what I understand, she lived about another year..

Oh wow! These are such feel good stories!!

3 years for a missing rottie ... you must've been beyond overjoyed!

Totally was you can't imagine the tears i shed on the way to the vet to collect him and he hadn't forgotten us when nurse brought him out he looked around waiting room spotted me and dragged the nurse over to us and just about bowled me over for cuddles. still brings tears to my eyes remmebering that day.

Not a dog but I had a cat that went missing for 3 months. I'd given up on her and then I got a call out of the blue one night. Out ph number was on her collar and these same people had been feeding her the whole time but were un-able to capture her till that night. I was pretty surprised and happy as I'd come to conclusion she'd been run over.

emery what did the pet psychic say?

Funny enough I helped One find it's home without even meeting the dog lol!! Someone posted on Dol about finding a cocker spaniel and if we knew anyone missing one pass on the info, funny enough the dog was found in my area..

Didn't think much of it and months later (I think, it wasnt in the very recent future lol) I had my dogs at the vet and I noticed a sign up there for a lost cocker.. Dug up the thread which was months old and happily the dog and his family were reunited :)

I work in the industry and one day I had a lady tell me her son had stolen a dog five years earlier from someone's yard. Her son was now in jail and she felt she could now do the right thing and return him to his rightful home. I scanned him, told her he had a microchip and she surrended him to me. When I called the owner he was in total disbelief. When he came to collect his dog there was a very moving, tearful reunion. There was no doubt the dog remembered him.

My dog walker had Johnny out at an off leash park. He was attacked by another dog and he found a way under the fence and bolted. Got the call and rushed off to look for him.

How long was he/she gone

2 agonising days.

What you did

I spent two days walking. The dog walker helped for a few hours and went home.

My mum and my aunty spent the whole next day helping me look.

Where you advertised etc

Posters and paid for some ads in paper but didn’t need them.

How you got them back etc.

We found Johnny thanks to a poster. My mum suggested we put a poster up in the local pub and we got a call right away after. The lady said she had seen him the night before on her street. She said he was scared and she couldn’t pick him up.

We drove over to the address she gave and he was two streets over hiding under a car. I cried my eyes out when we found him damp and alive. My mum and my aunty cried too. Was so happy to get my little guy back. He was starving and whined the whole drive home (he is very quiet in the car so this was strange for him).

I feel for anyone who has lost their dog for an extended period of time. 2 days was more than enough for me.

Not a dog but I had a cat that went missing for 3 months. I'd given up on her and then I got a call out of the blue one night. Out ph number was on her collar and these same people had been feeding her the whole time but were un-able to capture her till that night. I was pretty surprised and happy as I'd come to conclusion she'd been run over.

emery what did the pet psychic say?

She said he had gone for a wander to look for us as he was lonely (we were at work) he was sniffing and heading south bound and enjoying the new scenery, he kept passing trees and before he knew it he was lost so he kept walking towards a big oval possibly used for soccer. (there is one about a k south)

She said the person who picked him up thought he was doing the right thing and his collar had come off (correct we found it in our yard) so took him home and didn't know what do do to locate owners so kept him.

She said dog kept trying to get home to us.

Not quite what you were asking, but when i worked in the pound I scanned a little JRT that got picked up by the rangers one day, just wandering the streets. Got eh owners details and called him "Hi, this is Willow from ****** pound, we have a little dog here, and your details are on his microchip as the owner, can you confirm that please?".....silence....."Hello, are you still there sir??" ....silence....."sir".....*sobbing* "Are you kidding me? Is this real??? Really, he's there with you? He's ok??? He was stolen 2 years ago!!!!"

Vary happy reunion :)

Our family cat went missing when I was 17. We went overseas for a holiday & my uncle who was minding the cat lost him.

7 years later :eek: he was just sitting in the tree in the back garden. Wild & feral we never got to handle him again but he lived there for some years. Wouldn't come in the house, just came for food & drinks.

He traveled about 15 kilometres in the metro area to get home. Goodness knows how he ever found us.