Dog Barking At Home When Alone

slatermasters

Hi,

My neighbours have dropped by and let me know that my 10 month old Vizsla has been barking during the day (and of the evening) when we're out.

The dog is well exercised, has toys and treats, plenty of water and shelter, so other than a breed trait (need human company) there's nothing obvious for him to bark at.

The neighbour said that he has seen the dog just walking around the deck barking at nothing in particular, just barking. Which stops once we get home.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Guest lavendergirl

Sounds like your dog may have separation anxiety. Does he follow you around constantly when you are home? It may help to confine him to an area inside the house. This article is very good and contains the essential program tips usually offered by behaviourists to start addressing the problem. The worst thing to do is ignore the problem as it usually escalates. Hope this helps.

http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-articles/seperation-anxiety

That's what it looks like, but I'm not sure what can be done that won't reinforce the behaviour while trying to keep the neighbours onside.

Has anyone had experience with the citronella collars?

If the behaviour WAS separation anxiety, an aversive collar would not be recommended.

No chance you can use baby gates to partition the house off? Remember that barking inside will be much easier on the neighbours ears.

How many hours a day is your dog alone? By alone I mean not physically sharing company with you? Is he an outside dog all the time?

Unfortunately the house is such that you come in off the deck into the lounge/dining room. Lots of furniture etc.

Child gates are used to keep him in this area when we're home.

As for time alone - max is about 7 hours but that is the exception and not the norm (when shifts don't align). Of an evening it's never more than 4 hours.

When we're home he's inside (on his beanbag - which is put outside in a sunny spot or his kennel).

Guest lavendergirl

Unfortunately citronella collars and other similar collars punish the dog for feeling anxious which makes him more anxious etc. etc. Is there any way you can a create a "den" like enclosure for him in the yard or even on the deck if he is unable to be inside? If you could place some long lasting puzzle toys, chews etc with him as well as some of your worn clothes for comfort that may help. Of course there are things like anxiety wraps or the thundershirt you could try as well.

So..what is pup's routine?

How much walking/training time is there each day?

What is there in the yard to entertain him? sand pit for digging? tug toys? treatballs etc filled with his food?cardboard cartons to wreck?

What is your routine when you leave him/return?

there's nothing obvious for him to bark at.

of course not :) we are mere humans:P

Remember- dogs can smell/hear things we can't !

I'd be looking at establishing a routine that calms him down on your departure. I usually recommend to people that they put their dog outside 20 minutes before leaving with something that's going to keep the dog occupied for some time, be it a treat ball, bone, pig's ear, throwing treats/dry food around the garden or grass. Departures are kept calm and quiet, no fuss. Find an old article of your own clothing that you can wear for a day or you could sleep with it. Leave this on the dog's outside bed.

I wouldn't leave a dog in a Thundershirt all day. I would recommend that you try an Adaptil collar (Dog Appeasing Pheromone, which could assist in relieving anxiety), these can be purchased online and in some petshops. I'd also recommend teaching the dog it's ok to be left outside during the day while you're inside, always making it a pleasurable activity with treats, bones, kongs or something the dog enjoys to keep him occupied. You can start slowly and build up to longer periods of time left alone. Always praise him for being quiet and calm behaviour. Having his crate outside may help him feel more secure.

Guest lavendergirl

I could put his crate (and cover) outside - see how that goes. As for the thundershirt - do you reckon that would work? Thunderstorms etc don't seem to worry him. That said, willing to try anything.

It might or might not - some people have had success with it and others not. It can be used for general anxiety - not just storms. Dr Harry did a segment on the use of one recently on Better Homes and Gardens - if you do a search you could find it. Like many methods it is a matter of trial and error. It can take a lot of effort - and expense - to resolve before finding something that works for him. There are the natural therapies such as Rescue Remedy, calming pastes, DAP sprays etc. I did not find any of that worked but others have had some success with them.

The link I quoted has all the tips such as building up gradual separations etc. - you can put together a program yourself. It does help to build independence while you are at home as well by not allowing him to be with you constantly - that way it is not such a "all or nothing" situation and he learns he is OK alone. You could put him outside with a chewy or something but allow him to be able to see you inside and slowly build up the time he is away from you.

If you do a search on here as well there have been a lot of threads on this topic.

Guest lavendergirl

That could quite well be the case which is why all the "boredom busting" type methods should be tried first up before the "anxiety relieving" tools are tried. :)

Maybe this is not the dog for you. :)

The dog is plain lonely and looking for company.

Many of our breeds like human association. If you are not going to be there this is the reaction the dog will give.

All the exercise and stimulation in the world is not going to make up for you not being there.

Yes, I do understand that you have a living to make and that you also have a social life, the problem is, that the dog doesn't understand. :)

Darn! I just typed a long response and lost it!

Basically - it went along the lines of

Vizslas are quite capable of being alone during the day - but they do need their needs met at either end of that day. Do you walk morning or evening? If only evening, you might need to get up earlier and take the dog for a walk prior to work as well so that his mental and physical needs are better met.

Perhaps you could contact the Hungarian Vizsla club of NSW for assistance? Maybe you already have? They give good advice, helpful assistance.

I also noted that you mentioned only a deck - is there also a yard? If only a deck, = pretty boring. Does it overlook areas of stimulation - eg people walking past, etc? How well protected/sheltered is the deck? Does it get any sun? wind has been pretty cold lately? Maybe he's cold?

Do you change the toys for him to play with - doesn't matter how many there are, novelty is a large part of environmental enrichment.

You can also get something that is a 'bark counter' which will give you and idea of whether your problem is all day, part of the day, etc. You also say your dog is barking at night - that's pretty typical of dogs left outside at night - all sorts of stimulating things - cats, possums, etc

Also - if your dog is alone during the day, and then alone during the evening... it's often hard to say why someone needs a dog. The HVCNSW rehomes a number of Vizslas each year, often as a result of people genuinely underestimating the needs of a Vizsla, and how sometimes life can be just a bit busy to allow enough time to provide what the dog wants.

More when I think of it

Thanks all for your suggestions/comments.

Canvassed the immediate neighbours and they haven't reported/heard anything out of the ordinary or excessive, at least not compared to some of the other dogs in the neighbourhood.

Came home from work at lunchtime today (parked across the reserve from my house) and didn't hear my dog barking for the 30 minutes I was there. Heard lots of others (including the one barking outside last night) but not mine.

Reference other issues/conclusions that people have assumed.

Backyard - medium to large with trees and plenty of shade. Enough room to run around in. Sheltered with both sun and shade. Lots of toys etc, which are changed regularly.

Working hours - as stated, the hours are the exception not the norm.

Social life - one night a week for 2-3 hours.

Exercise - generally twice a day for a total of about 2 hours off lead.

HVCNSW - asked them for advice yesterday, nothing heard yet.

Bottom line - a neighbour complained and, as a responsible dog owner, I want to correct any potentially undesirable behaviours/habits that MAY be present.

Slatermasters, I think your hours away sound fine, pretty minimal in fact, and you are doing all the right things to care for your dog.

Your dog is quite young & you still have time to address the issue. :)

It does sound like boredom to me- & there are a number of things you can do. If you do a search on DOL for boredom & many threads full of ideas will come up.

A few ideas- Put a clam shell full of sand in the yard for digging, putting kibble or toys for him to dig out.

Freeze a block of water with kibble in it. Use kongs. Use bones.

It doesn't sound like the barking is excessive, but the night barking is probably annoying your neighbours the most. At night, there are a lot more stimulating things outside to bark at, can you leave your dog inside just for that period? Contained in the bathroom with a juicy bone perhaps?

Good luck, you are doing the responsible thing & seeking advice.

(ps- don't take the less than constructive comments to heart- newbie shooting can be a sport on DOL sometimes. :) )