Petplan Rant

megan_

I also just got a quote from Bow Wow Meow, but does anyone know what the rule is for declaring a mixed breed dog?

My dog is, at best guess, a lab x kelpie, this is also what he's registered as with the council and in his vaccination pass and vet records.

The premium works out cheaper for a kelpie x than it does for a lab x, so can I choose which one I go with? I couldn't find any answers on their website.

I also just got a quote from Bow Wow Meow, but does anyone know what the rule is for declaring a mixed breed dog?

My dog is, at best guess, a lab x kelpie, this is also what he's registered as with the council and in his vaccination pass and vet records.

The premium works out cheaper for a kelpie x than it does for a lab x, so can I choose which one I go with? I couldn't find any answers on their website.

As you wouldn't be lying, I don't see why you would choose the more expensive one. Either way it's cheaper than my puppers!

Their cover is different? Do they cover for recurring conditions? Most (all?) of the ones covered by hollard don't. a few people have posted on DOL that they've had problems getting claims approved from them.

Their cover is different? Do they cover for recurring conditions? Most (all?) of the ones covered by hollard don't. a few people have posted on DOL that they've had problems getting claims approved from them.

I was told over the phone by one of the companies (cant remember which one) that they do cover recurring conditions. I asked her to double check. Good job I did. They don't. The explanation I was given that, effectively, each year you are renewing your policy so the condition is then considered pre existing. Maybe that accounts for the price difference.

I was told over the phone by one of the companies (cant remember which one) that they do cover recurring conditions. I asked her to double check. Good job I did. They don't. The explanation I was given that, effectively, each year you are renewing your policy so the condition is then considered pre existing. Maybe that accounts for the price difference.

Yep, that's the difference between Pet Plan and everyone else - Pet Plan covers conditions for more than a year and no one else does.

I've just signed with bow wow meow, I hope they aren't dodgy.

That's who I'm with and I stress that you should scan and copy all documents you send them and always use registered post. You don't want them suggesting they didn't receive your claim.

When I started with them their policy fees where inexpensive but they go up every year. They've increased by 162% in the three years I've been with them. The 3rd year renewal of the policy just started in September. Their first claim took 3 months for them to reimburse me.

My dog had never had a sick day in his life when I took out his policy he had only his vaccination and neuter records. When I made a claim for him they kept insisting I get all vets who had ever treated him to send them his records. I eventually lost my cool and asked did they want me to try find a vet to fraudulently fabricate a record of illness that didn't exist because my vet would not commit fraud to satisfy them. My dog was 5 years old when I made the first claim so I guess they thought it unlikely he'd never been to a vet for an illness.

Eventually I called to tell them I was about to contact the Ombudsman. Within 2 days they paid out half of the claim and after another call by me mentioning the ombudsman a few weeks later they paid the balance of the claim. Admittedly it was a large claim for spinal surgery.

I suspect they contacted vets in the area to see if my dog was known to them. I gave them my authority to contact any vet they care to.. Maybe that's why it took them so long to pay up.

Since then they've been good to deal with. No delay in paying out claims and no hassles with them but the fees increase every year by a large percentage.

Yep, that's the difference between Pet Plan and everyone else - Pet Plan covers conditions for more than a year and no one else does.

That's not correct. RSPCA has covered a number of dogs I know with chronic/ recurring conditions for a number of years including my own dog over 2 policy years. However it is not policy maximum every year for that condition but rather a sublimit of value of year's coverage for the life of the condition. Eg if you have $12k illness cover under your policy for Year 1 then the maximum you will get back for that condition for the life of the dog is $12k even if it is spread over 4 years.

Quick insurance question (sorry to hijack!) my 2 are with bow wow meow and I am doing some price comparison to see if I can get it cheaper. I started the insurance when doof was 8 1/2, he's almost 12 now. When I do online quotes everyone refuses to cover doof cos he is too old. But if he has had insurance since before the age exclusion was reached would that not transfer to other companies? Like when you change health insurance companies they waive the waiting period on stuff you were already covered for??

Hope that makes sense, I'm sleep deprived!

Pet insurance is so confusing! I signed up with Petplan today after comparing several companies. The main reason I decided to go with them s they cover conditions for the life of the pet.

I have now just looked at Bow Wow Meow. Their prices are so much lower and they seem to be pretty comprehensive. But I can't see if they cover conditions for life. Does anyone know? I can ring them in the morning but I'm impatient :laugh:

ETA Yes,Meea, they are underwritten by Hollard. Is that a bad thing?

Nearly all Aust pet ins Is the same company. We spend all this time swotting their specs then give our $s to Hollard.

Same office same mailing address!

I dont know Tintin Jac if its 'bad' as such but I will make a point of doing it differently for the next animal. I certainly felt put out when I noticed

Meea