Dog Limping

TikaAkita

My Akita Tika has begun limping in the last few days. She is just over 7 months old.

We didn't immediately take her to the vet as we thought it could be something minor that would fix itself. Like a sprain from playing. It wasn't sore or causing her any obvious pain, she was just favouring it.

I could squeeze her whole leg and paw firmly without a reaction from her.

Plus she runs around no worries and only limps when she walks?

The limping is especially obvious when she has just gotten up from a sleep.

Today she is giving a small noise of pain when her paw is squeezed gently.

So I have a vet app in a couple hours. I just want to see if theres anything specific I should ask the vet to check for?

Also if they want to xray her, is it likely they will sedate her first? Ive never had a dog who needed an xray.

I'm really hopping its nothing major with her joints or anything!

Sorry if this is a pointless post with obvious answers. I just want to make sure I do the right thing by my pup, any replies are appreciated :)

Thank you Kadbury :)

Tika is on painkillers for a week, the problem may disapear or we could be back there next week for xrays.

The vet was concerned about elbow dysplasia, as she was stiff to bend her leg and 'crunchy'. And of course she's the exact age that it is likely to show up in her breed. It could also be something not right within her paw.

The vet called her limp a '4 out of 5'.

A week of waiting and watching!

I'd be getting X-rays done before agreeing with ED as a diagnosis. And get more than one opinion on said X-rays...

My brother's Lab was suspected as having ED when he was about the same age as your pup - not a sign of it on X-rays at age 6... turns out my brother was over exercising the dog by going on long rambling walks and it was actually tendon strain during growth spurts causing the limp.

T.

I'd be getting X-rays done before agreeing with ED as a diagnosis. And get more than one opinion on said X-rays...

My brother's Lab was suspected as having ED when he was about the same age as your pup - not a sign of it on X-rays at age 6... turns out my brother was over exercising the dog by going on long rambling walks and it was actually tendon strain during growth spurts causing the limp.

T.

Thanks tdierikx, thats the reason I posted on here. I want to make sure I do the best thing and ask the right questions.

There will definitely be x-rays if it doesnt improve (unfortunaetly involving an anesthetic, i'm told). I have another vet in mind who I would trust to check the xrays. I have been online searching for other things it could be, so I can mention them to the vet if need be.

ED is only ever diagnosed on xrays. There can be suspicions of it with lamenesses at certain ages in certain breeds.

Good luck with your pup - hopefully it's nothing. I'd also ask about OCD (osteochondrosis) which is common in some large breed pups.

If you really want to get to the bottom of it don't be afraid to ask for xrays sooner rather than later!