Flashes

leopuppy04

Hi guys,

I have a 450D Canon that I have been using for the past 3-4 years now. I'm pretty keen to get an external flash as I find it will help with taking better quality indoor shots as well as just having an all round use.

Never really looked into it before though so was wondering if I could get some advice on where to start and what sort of things I need to be looking at?

I would like to update my body in the next year or two, so that would need to be kept in mind also.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

With an external flash you want one that allows you to swivel it so you can bounce it off of walls and ceilings to diffuse the light and get more natural looking photos. Before I switched to Nikon I had the Canon 580EX II which is an awesome flash but was way more than I needed and I never learnt to use it properly. It allows you to use the flash as a master to control multiple flashes but isn't really worth the extra $$ unless you think you might want to put together more complicated lighting set ups. Here's the current equivalent 600 EX-RT. I would personally recommend the model down which is the 430EX II and is the Canon equivalent of the Nikon one I bought. I've had absolutely no regrets about not going for the top of the range Nikon flash as the next model down more than meets my needs.

Thanks so much for this info. I think from what you are saying the 'cheaper' version is what I want but yes, I do want one that I can swivel and move so I can bounce the flash off other areas etc.

Woot! I just purchased the 430EX II on DWI... they are having a sale and free shipping!

DWI!?!

Look into high speed sync as well, you might not need it but if you'd like it you need to get a flash that supports it.

Can you please explain more?

thanks guys :thumbsup:

DWI sells products from OS but they give Australian warranties, so if you purchase from them and something goes wrong with the product you send off to be fixed but it stays in Australia, even though the product comes from overseas to begin with. I think that's right someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

In snooks post she linked to a DWI page with the 430 have a look HERE.

Their prices are good sometimes saving 100's of $$

I've got 3 lenses from there so far and been happy with them all and their service is great. All lenses arrived within the week. I used the $10 postage option.

Edited by tlc