Agility Trials

Squidgy

2 dogs (a) Male, Neutered, ANKA registered on Associate competed in QLD in ANKA obedience trials, moved on at 5yrs to ADAA agility(way more comps is only reason and also proximity to train at a specific club), there is no requirement to have dog desexed just ruling that NO Bitch in season is permitted to compete or be on grounds or in vicinty of competition (for obvious reasons).

(b) Female full ANKA registration currently showing, will do obedience and agility possibly when older and desexing will be considered when show career completed.

I didn't know a dog had to be desexed to be on the associate register till now either.

If you check out the ANKA rules and regs it will explain

6.7 Registration of Associate Dogs – on Associate Register

(10/07, 7.11) (Amended 10/10, 5.11)

6.7.1 As from 1 January 2008, it is compulsory PRIOR to the registration of an Associate Dog on the National Database, that the application to register such dog is accompanied by a Sterilisation Certificate.

6.7.2 The dog to be permanently identified (such as Microchip) and the permanent identified number to be recorded on the Sterilisation Certificate.

6.7.3 The breed is to be recorded as ‘Associate’ with a number assigned by the ANKC Ltd Member Body and only the following details are to be recorded on the National Database:

name (one word only)

sex - indicated only as either neutered or spayed

microchip number

date of birth (if known)

colour

Note: The breed or cross breed may be recorded in the notes field for further reference.

6.7.4 The ANKC Ltd Member Body will produce an Associate Register Certificate for an Associate dog, which indicates the above details.

Basically many of the dogs that owners wanted to do agility /obedience and now rally O and Dancing with dogs were either purchased as pets with no papers or papered and desexed due to possible genetic problems that breeder has declared to new owner, or as in my case a dog that while he has 2 papered parents and a little mishap in the breeders backyard resulted in a unwanted X breed situation (definately a genuine mistake and not a BYB), so he was registered on this Associate section and has competed and done very very well in the past 6 years. Oh and owner must be a member of the State body to which application is made to register the dog with. So Dogs QLD or Dogs NSW etc

From what I've been reading each season a bitch has where she isn't bred takes a toll on her body because of the hormonal changes. Their cycle isn't like ours, their body actually reacts chemically as though they are pregnant each time even if that aren't. Repeated cycles without pregnancy damage the uterus and can lead to pyometra and maybe other things?

I'm definitely no expert but have been reading in preparation for deciding what to do with my girl Quinn :) Males don't have the same issues so there is less health risk keeping them entire.

OT:

There has been and continues to be, so much propaganda about desexing

that it has become normal for dog owners in Australia to imagine

that desexing their dog, changing how it is produced by nature

is actually better for the animal's individual health outcome.

Edited by lilli

1351060121[/url]' post='5997349']

I might not be correct here, but if this is a non-ANKC-registered border collie, it can probably be registered with the Working Dog Association (or whoever holds the working border collie register.) It can then be registered on the ANKC Sporting Dog register and trial in ANKC trials.

Is there anyone who knows more about getting dogs on the working dogs register?

In order to eligible for Sporting register, the dog/s in question must first be registered with one of 20 odd ANKC recognized bodies.The criteria/eligibility for registration with these bodies vary, but most require a working pedigree.

It is probably possible to register non working dogs on some of them, but I doubt they would take kindly if they found out that people were planning to use them for non working purposes.

Edited by Vickie

From what I've been reading each season a bitch has where she isn't bred takes a toll on her body because of the hormonal changes. Their cycle isn't like ours, their body actually reacts chemically as though they are pregnant each time even if that aren't. Repeated cycles without pregnancy damage the uterus and can lead to pyometra and maybe other things?

That looks like a pretty acurate desription to me, although "damage" may not be quite the accurate word. Perhaps, "wear and tear" might be more appropriate.

Also, desexing before the bitch's first season will greatly reduce the chance of mammary cancer, so there is reason to advocate early desexing of bitches. I am happy to concede that there are arguments on both sides.

I'm definitely no expert but have been reading in preparation for deciding what to do with my girl Quinn :) Males don't have the same issues so there is less health risk keeping them entire.

There are also health risks for the entire male - the possibility of testicular cancer, increased risk of prostate issues, increased of perianal tumours and perineal herniation. I certainly see no reason to advocate early desexing of males, but my older boys that are not still being used as stud dogs are desexed.

The issue at hand was, however, the ability to agility trial an undesexed border collie that does not have ANKC registration. I believe this dog was to compete in NSW.

I believe the summary of the answers were:

Yes, in ADAA or ADAC agility and there are a reasonable number of trials by these association around Sydney.

Or to trial in ANKC (in NSW) such a dog could be registered on one of the appropriate working dog association registers, and then it could be registered on the DogsNSW sporting register as an entire male.

The Associate registers do vary from State to state. (I do not think it has been standardised by ANKC, but is up to the individual state bodies.) In NSW, to be registered on the Associate register the dog must be desexed.