To Stick To The Same Breed?

Good Thanks

I think if you've found a breed that you really clicked with, you'll find more to smile about and enjoy in another pup than any moments of sadness.

I think that's one of the joys of purebred dogs - that you can find another that brings you as much enjoyment as your departed dogs have done. They are never the same - but the enjoyment can be.

Agree that a choosing a different colour might not be a bad idea though.

We lost our Boxer and where going to wait a few months and then 2 weeks later we brought home a 2 year old Cavalier king charles spaniel then we got another one a few months after that, but we missed having a boxer with all there funny antics so when we where offered another boxer we jumped at the chance she was 6 years old and fit in perfectly, sadly 2 years ago we had to sent both cavalier boys over the bridge due to illness they where only 7 and 9 years old and we said no more but 6 months later we picked up our beautiful cavalier puppy Digger and for us the two breeds are perfect.

I love the two different breeds and will probably always have the two. It is really what you and your family like and what fits in with your family.

I say to people sometimes if you know you are going to get another dog don't wait it helps heal your heart just that bit faster. You will never forget your buddy and sometimes you cry for them but one day we will meet again.

Best of luck..

Guest Labradork

I have three favourite breeds, unless I inherited a dog from family I would never get another breed than the ones I have. Stick with the breeds you know and are comfortable with or get a breed that you've always wanted. At the end of the day you will love the dog for the dog and not its packaging :)

I went to such great lengths to find my Lab puppy. I especially wanted a stocky English type and I was on a waiting list for months. Well, so far my puppy has grown to look nothing like that or any other Lab I have ever owned :laugh: She is all out of proportion and looks more like a kangaroo than a dog :laugh: But I love her just the way she is and I wouldn't change her for the world.

Edited by Labradork

We recently put to sleep our Amstaff girl, it was devastating to lose our family member, and we've been grieving for months.

We'd like to consider a puppy soon, but, would we be better changing breeds due to our attachment to our previous dog?

We know we can't replace her, but could another dog even make us happy again? Could we love another dog to the same extent as our special girl?

So, sell me your breed, Amstaff... or other?

Every individual dog in a breed is different. The first one is somehow always extra special and will remain that way, but each one brings something new and you love them all as individuals. The other layer is breed traits. While personalities vary there can be a common thread of the traits ghat you liked to live with. This is one reason people stick to one breed - because those traits 'fit' them. It will be up to you to decide if you like that fit with the Amstaff or want to try something different.

Edited by espinay2

I lost my Italian Greyhound, Luigi, after 9 years at the beginning of 2009. I have been running Italian Greyhound rescue since mid 2009 after adopting another IG that died after 2 days.

Obviously I've fostered quite a few IGs in that time with no problems but last year I took on a dog that looked and acted exactly like Luigi. Even after 2 years, this distressed me greatly and I simply couldn't cope with having Max around and so he went to another foster carer.

I've lost many dogs of different kinds, something like 16 in 6 years as I take on older dogs and sometimes only have them for 6 months (in spite of getting all medical treatment needed). I think this is one of the reasons why I was shocked at how I felt.

At the end of last year, I adopted a female IG, she's white/blue.

My recommendation therefore is you can stick with the same breed but don't get one that looks like your last dog.

Edited by dogmad

I love Staffords, so I tend to stick with what I know..

Yes, they all have their individual personalities but you pretty much know what you are getting...

I let my old stafford go last October (25th) and had another boof head (albeit a pound staffy x) on the 1st of November - when it happened, I just couldn't stand how quiet the house was and realised that I needed another dog in my life.

Ziggy is very different in personality to Ollie was but they are both similar in so many ways..

I didn't look to replace Ollie (that just couldn't happen, he was irreplaceable) - instead I looked for a new dog, a new pooch to share our house with.

After my last Cairn crossed the bridge, I decided not to have another. I loved my Cairns, but I was a big dog lover & only chose Cairns because my OH at that time was scared of dogs, so getting a large breed was out of the question.

I then got my Kenny a Neo Mastiff X APBT, who was my heart dog. If I was younger & in better health, I would definitely have another . I now have a beautiful little SBT, who is a little "mini me" of my boy, well apart from the fact she's a girl. :rofl:

I went through the same dilemma as you are experiencing now, when I lost my RR girl. As it turns out I decided on a RR boy. Well, the two could not be more like chalk and cheese (and that has little to do with their genders being different) and I admit I am completely pleased about that. I still love and miss my girl and she will always be an incredibly special dog to me, but my boy holds an important and large but different part of my heart. It's not about one taking the place of another, it's about the fact that your heart will grow to make room for the extra even though right now you might not feel that is possible. That's how it was for me and how it has now become.

So go for the breed that suits your lifestyle and your heart. Know that the pup you get (of whatever breed, and that includes AmStaff) will be his or her own personality and open your mind to him or her to be different to your girl. Knowing and accepting that I think is the easiest way for both yourself and your new pup/dog as you don't start with pre-conceived expectations.

Edited by Erny

I vote for Amstaff!

It sounds like the breed suits you. The new dog will have a very different personality ofc, but all the things like energy levels, trainability, discipline & affection requirements etc would be the same as you're used to. Other breeds you might have to change your lifestyle a bit to accommodate for.

We recently put to sleep our Amstaff girl, it was devastating to lose our family member, and we've been grieving for months.

We'd like to consider a puppy soon, but, would we be better changing breeds due to our attachment to our previous dog?

We know we can't replace her, but could another dog even make us happy again? Could we love another dog to the same extent as our special girl?

So, sell me your breed, Amstaff... or other?

Every individual dog in a breed is different. The first one is somehow always extra special and will remain that way, but each one brings something new and you love them all as individuals. The other layer is breed traits. While personalities vary there can be a common thread of the traits ghat you liked to live with. This is one reason people stick to one breed - because those traits 'fit' them. It will be up to you to decide if you like that fit with the Amstaff or want to try something different.

Well said.

I was just saying to Mr Bjelkier the other day that each of our Samoyeds has had a very different personality. Sure they all look very similar, white and fluffy and the basic breed traits are there but they couldn't have been more different.

Misty was our clown, Alchemy is the fun police, Dante is Prince Charming, Daenerys is the wild child and Beowulf is the regal king :laugh:

If the Amstaff is the breed for you stick with it.