Best Cool Coats/mats?

koolietas

How long do the Silver eagle coats stay cool for?

I recently purchased a Ruffwear Swamp-cooler. Really nice fit, lightweight and reflects the sun which is good. However I find it dries out very quickly and I'm constantly checking and re-wetting it. Ideally I'd like a coat my Ridgeback can wear whilst in the trailer on warm days when we travel.

I have the Cool Champions coat and also the Chillybuddy from Clean Run. Both work well but I much prefer the Chillybuddy for trialling - it's very light and breathable, can be used dry or wet depending on how much you need to cool the dog and it's reflective nature is brilliant if you are forced to stand in the sun.

Also - Cool Champions are probably a bit more robust than the Chillybuddy - the latter would probably tear more easily if the dog is lying on a rough surface or gets snagged on something.

Do you find you need them both at all (not at the same time)? I have cool champions and got the chilly buddys from cleanrun. I'm thinking about selling the cool champions but I'm worried that there will be "scenarios" where the cool champion will be a better bet.

I have the Cool Champions coat and also the Chillybuddy from Clean Run. Both work well but I much prefer the Chillybuddy for trialling - it's very light and breathable, can be used dry or wet depending on how much you need to cool the dog and it's reflective nature is brilliant if you are forced to stand in the sun.

Also - Cool Champions are probably a bit more robust than the Chillybuddy - the latter would probably tear more easily if the dog is lying on a rough surface or gets snagged on something.

Do you find you need them both at all (not at the same time)? I have cool champions and got the chilly buddys from cleanrun. I'm thinking about selling the cool champions but I'm worried that there will be "scenarios" where the cool champion will be a better bet.

I haven't used the Cool Champions coat since I bought the Chillybuddies. I only have one of the CCs for Zig - he is much more temperature sensitive and I'll probably only use it at home when he's more likely to be playing. One of the original reasons I bought the Chillybuddies was that the CC coat left him too cold sometimes - it's hard to keep a close eye at a trial when you're running a couple of dogs and being able to use the Chillybuddies dry means it's easier to keep Zig cool but not too cold.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

How long do the Silver eagle coats stay cool for?

I recently purchased a Ruffwear Swamp-cooler. Really nice fit, lightweight and reflects the sun which is good. However I find it dries out very quickly and I'm constantly checking and re-wetting it. Ideally I'd like a coat my Ridgeback can wear whilst in the trailer on warm days when we travel.

I use the ruffwear swampcoolers a lot for multiple dogs and find them excellent. I did recently find that I couldn't get them to fit my petite female kelpie. She's quite tiny and if the neck fitted, the rest didn't. I got a similar coat from Hurrta (think that is how you spell it) and it is excellent. Same cooling principle but a bit better made with some adjustment in the neck for the tricky to fit dogs like my girl.

The thing I like about the swampcooler and the hurrta cooling coat is that it wraps down over the whole chest. Cools better.

I recently replied to an email from someone asking about cooling mats so I am cutting and pasting here. It is all about the ones I've tried and there are some links in there too.

I have a couple of different cool mats here that I have gotten over the years. Mostly from places like 'deals direct' or similar. I tend to buy multiples of bargains when they are on sale and stow them away and forget I have them.

The two mats I have I got back when I did flyball with my big dog Jack. I had tried the wet fabric versions and found them hopeless. He felt the heat and would not get into a clamshell pool.

I have one version which is called an 'All season pet ped' which is basically a double layered thing. It is vinyl and one side is filled with foam and the other side is empty. You fill the empty side with water and it is like a water bed. Quite cool to lie on. Supposed to put the water side up in summer to be cool and the foam side up in winter to be warmer. I found it very effective but at a comp you need a short bit of hose and a connector as not all places have hoses. It is also quite heavy if you fill it too full so you need a hand to carry it and then poke it into your crate. I ended up making a couple of giant pillow slip type covers so the dog was not lying direct on vinyl as they don't seem to like that as much. with the slip cover they were fine. It does stay cool all day though. Need enough water in it that the dog's body doesn't heat up the water, hence the weight. Its quite comfy, I've laid on this myself.

I googled it and this was the first place that came up with it here which is exactly what I have but I didn't get it from this place. I ended up with three of them (in case they got holes but they turned out to be quite tough) so I am still on my first one.

The second version I have is a bit easier to deal with as there is no filling and emptying to do with water. It is a gel filled mat that has permanent fold lines so its easy to pack up. It also comes in different sizes. The label in the box says 'cool pet pad' and googling found this at here

which is the same model and label as mine but I got mine elsewhere. There seemed to be lots on ebay too. This one is filled with gel and has a quite tough sort of cover on it. Probably the best one I have. They came in different sizes too.

The same thing, (appears to be a different name) is on clean run here here so might be worth seeing if clean run do free shipping again in November like they did last year.

Another gadget I have is the 'scratch and newton ice pod' (link here here ) which I actually got last year when clean run had free shipping. They don't seem to have them anymore. Dreadful, bright pink colour but very effective. They are a round frisbee sized plastic sealed dome which is tapered at the edges and about 2cm thick in the middle. You keep it in the freezer like a big ice brick and then stick it in the crate under a towel or mat and the dog can lie on it or off it as they choose. They are completely sealed with some sort of liquid or gel inside. Nothing to fill and empty.

I checked deals direct again tonight and they have another kind of pet bed again which seems to be some sort of memory foam version. Haven't tried that one but here is the link. here

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this arrived a week ago,

http://www.brightlife.com.au/store/full-length-underblanket-p-1780.html

Its gel filled, a bit disappointed in it as it only stays cool for about a hour when laying on it all night. It actually gets quite warm. But I guess if you were on and off it all the time it works fine, even Smooch got off it through the night as it got too warm for him.