Snake Avoidance

Anyone know of someone they can recommend to help train dogs for snake avoidance? :confused: Or any ideas? :confused:

So far, the ideas from neighbouring farms are:

1. If you can't tape a snakes mouth up then use a freshly found roadkill as dogs know the difference between real and rubber snakes. (Not sure I'd like to use a live snake due to stress on the snake?)

2. Buy an e-collar so that the dog doesn't know where the correction is coming from but only use a very low pulse. (Not sure I'd ever use an e-collar but was advised it's better for the dog than being bitten?)

Hoping that by training all the dogs, it will be to the benefit of both the dogs and the snakes.

Thanks for your time.

Good luck with it, I'd be interested to hear how it goes.

No worries. I'll post any results of any contact with any trainers. I have 9 dogs here (mostly rescues). Guess it will cost a fair bit but we've had 3 bitten in the last couple of years and just the anti-venim for one dog is around $1000 with hospital costs on top of that so if the training works, it's worth the cost, (not to mention losing a much loved pet).

If we both have to go out, all the dogs are kept inside the house as time is crucial with snake bites. When we're home and hear barking, unless we know for sure what they're barking at, we rush outside and check. They're not allowed outside the house paddock unless accompanied by one of us to walk, play or work the stock.

Edited to add: We're on Southern Tablelands so within about 2 hrs drive each way would be ideal (i.e. Canberra, Southern Highlands, Bathurst, Braidwood......).

Edited by Bonniebank

I'm not sure of the geographics of NSW sorry, but what about Steve from K9pro?

I think an e-collar would be the most reliable method, this is what they use with some of the dogs doing conservation work to prevent them going for a snake while they are out in the bush.

Thank you Lollipup (love the username!).

I think that's Sydney? If so, a bit far for me to drive there and back same day. I have the e-collar on my list of suggestions so thanks again!

I believe he is in Kurrajong, but no idea where that is.

Thank you Lollipup (love the username!).

I think that's Sydney? If so, a bit far for me to drive there and back same day. I have the e-collar on my list of suggestions so thanks again!

I believe he is in Kurrajong, but no idea where that is.

I know Steve does distance learning things so that may be an option. Or someone else might do that sort of thing too.

Yep. Kurrajong further than Sydney for me but I will check into his distance learning....thanks!

You really need someone to help you in person, preferably with a suitable snake - and a strong sense of ethics.

Thank you Aidan2. Yes I'm hoping I can find someone but long distance travel for me is an issue so looking for a plan B. Suitable snake meaning????????

By strong sense of ethics I gather you mean someone who has the welfare of both the dog and the snake at heart????? If so, yes I totally agree.

I haven't heard back yet in reply to my email to the person at Braidwood. This is the link if anyone knows anything about this trainer:

http://www.braidwoodnsw.com/heike/services.html

Thank you again for your reply.

Regards.

I tried to set up a session with a dead snake we found in the backyard, but the dogs took no interest in it.

Check out this article in our local paper. I was horrified that 1. the dog suffered under the house with no treatment when it first got bitten and 2. the 'method' the snake catcher says he uses to teach his dogs not to go for snakes

Mr Zink said he had trained his dogs so they wouldn't get bitten.

"I simply get a piece of rope that looks a bit like a snake and tease the dog until they attack it. I give them a wack across the nose until they learn not to go near it.

"I had a hunting dog that would come with me, after I trained him this way he would find snakes, but not get too close."

The article - http://www.news-mail.com.au/news/lucky-dogs-survival-battles-snake-eastern-brown/1551453/

Agree the welfare of both animals has to be a priority.

:o I use dead , beheaded snakes ......

Cheers Persephone. Yes, using a fresh roadkill was suggested by some farmer neighbours. Good point about beheading (if the snake has already been killed on the road it will feel no pain) as I believe that the head still contains venom and if the dog does happen to grab it, well............

So what method do you use to stop your dogs from attacking or investigating the dead snake? (which one day of course, might be alive).

Regards.

So what method do you use to stop your dogs from attacking or investigating the dead snake? (which one day of course, might be alive).

ermmm.. it's called 'ambush' ;)

usually two of us ... and a dead snake in between ... on a path so it can't really be avoided . Dog is wandering about .. sees the other person ..trots up to say g'day ..and either goes to walk over, or stops to investigate,the slightly wriggling (artificiallly) snake.

Various unpleasant things may then happen ........

Various unpleasant things may then happen ........[/color][/font]

Don't stop now! What unpleasant things may happen????? PM me (in strict confidence) if you're worried about upsetting people. I listen to everything then make up my own mind and don't condemn ANYONE for their methods.

Thank you so much for trying to help my dogs.

Regards.

Various unpleasant things may then happen ........[/color][/font]

Don't stop now! What unpleasant things may happen????? PM me (in strict confidence) if you're worried about upsetting people. I listen to everything then make up my own mind and don't condemn ANYONE for their methods.

Thank you so much for trying to help my dogs.

Regards.

I'm curious too now :)

I tried to set up a session with a dead snake we found in the backyard, but the dogs took no interest in it.

Check out this article in our local paper. I was horrified that 1. the dog suffered under the house with no treatment when it first got bitten and 2. the 'method' the snake catcher says he uses to teach his dogs not to go for snakes

Mr Zink said he had trained his dogs so they wouldn't get bitten.

"I simply get a piece of rope that looks a bit like a snake and tease the dog until they attack it. I give them a wack across the nose until they learn not to go near it.

"I had a hunting dog that would come with me, after I trained him this way he would find snakes, but not get too close."

The article - http://www.news-mail.com.au/news/lucky-dogs-survival-battles-snake-eastern-brown/1551453/

Agree the welfare of both animals has to be a priority.

I've been told that if the snake is dead, you should tie a long piece of twine to it and when training the dog, should make it move as though alive???????? I will never wack my dogs during any training and also, I beleive that if YOU correct the dog for ANY misbehaviour, then the dog learns that he will ONLY be corrected if you are present. The e-collar is sounding more practicle as long as it's used mildly and isn't a cruel tool to use.

I also believe that the collar should be worn by the dog (or a similar one with the same odour) even when not being used as a correction collar as the dog will learn to associate NO COLLAR with NO CORRECTION.

No matter the advice, thank you anyway as we can only ask and then choose the method we think suits us and our dog (AND the snake if it's alive!)

Any PM's welcomed and will be kept in confidence.

Regards,

:) nothing too drastic .. depending on the dog .. the 'ambush ' could involve water, or a loud noise ...that sort of thing.....

It's usually repeated ..in a different spot .... at different times

As to effectiveness ?

Not sure ..we do get quite a few snakes, and we have lost dogs..... but not every dog gets a chance to be ambushed/trained ..and if a stumbled-upon snake is unhappy /challenging , then an inexperienced dog really is in trouble.

Years ago, we had dogs who would kill snakes ..but that was a different time, and dogs were certainly treated differently .

Thanks for the article Lollipup. Poor dog. Again, even if the method the guy uses works, it's certainly not going to work if the dog is on it's own and comes across a snake.

I've been told that the solar snake repellers you put in the garden aren't reliable either. I haven't received a reply to my email to the trainer at Braidwood :(

I'll do a search here and see if there are any old topics on the matter. Cheers.