Bitch In Heat Off Lead At Park. Rant.

Mashlee08

What do you mean by poor breeding??

I agree with the poster that said you might be better off trying to talk them into finding a working line male to breed her with if you see them again. And hopefully getting them to wait at least another year before breeding her :(:offtopic: I know GSD club says 18mnths but personally i think that is still too young lol)

I can see the flames coming from here, but even if they do mate her, there is nothing to say that the pups won't be healthy dogs and go on to find good homes and be good family companions, working dogs ect. I have seen dogs with top line pedigrees who have suffered very badly with skin conditions, movement issues ect. I just hope they have their heart in the right place and look after dog and pups instead of floundering after the $

Maybe irresponsible breeding would have been a better word, like an older pup that has come into clinic and had to be pts because these people got a cheap shepherd thinking it would be ok but it had bad hips :( or about the few days I volunteered at the SPCA and had to put litters of shepherd mixes down (among other breeds as well).

I know genetics can play funny games that's for sure! But to me health testing and hip scoring etc is at least trying to minimize the chances o these problems occurring, rather then breeding willy nilly.

Lol I agree I think 18months is too young also. Oh definitely, they might be all happy and healthy and grow to ripe old ages, the statistics just aren't in their favor.

Edited by Mashlee08

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you say you noticed she was in heat, how did you know?

Not having a go, just wondering. I've seen some girls at the park that I've wondered about, but they've been short coated so you can see the vulva, and I haven't seen any problems so was probably wrong anyway!

In a long haired breed though?

Ok, I'm totally paranoid about this ATM, I'm waiting waiting waiting for Quinn to start her first season, checking her vulva everyday, noting every dog interaction she has... And hearing about plenty of experiences of bitches who barely swell or bleed, or have totally silent seasons!

I can def see when I look, but there's no way one would see it if she was just walking along (unless she swells to halfway down her leg). I don't wanna have her at the park when she gets to the receptive stage :eek: From what I understand there is a week-ish between starting and being receptive, I really wanna note day 1 so I can 1. Manage her and 2. Monitor her heats.

Not that this is really relevant to the OP, except that I don't want to be the person at the park with a bitch in heat!

I could def tell! Tail high, backing up on indie, plus I asked the owners and she was quite swollen, and her coat wasn't that long Round the but, looked like she had been licking lots. sad thing is they seemed in no rush to separate her from the boy that came running round the corner. Like ok, if you wanna breed her, at least make sure your not gonna have mixes, if it was a dog that was more keen there would have been trouble for sure.

Sigh, guess I will have to get used to seeing silly people :-(

Ya can't fix stupid, but ill keep trying!

Edited by Mashlee08

Oh gawd, sounds like she was in full receptive stage :( That's my biggest fear with Quinn, I take her to the park regularly but she will be nowhere near when in season!

With Quinn it's still maybe, but if she is bred there's no way it will be some random at the park, I HATE the thought of her mating with just some dog... She's my gorgeous girl!

Not that hard to tell a bitch in standing heat even with a coat as the swelling can be fairly obvious in most/a lot of cases.

Regarding blood tests, I presume you mean progesterone. That will not tell you when she is coming in, but gives a guide to when, during her season, she ovulates. Prog won't show anything until the season is well progressed and is only useful when done as a series of blood tests during the season (it is used for timing matings). There is no test you can do that will tell you when her season will start. You just need to be vigilant and watch for signs.

if it was a dog that was more keen there would have been trouble for sure.

Oh gawd, sounds like she was in full receptive stage :( That's my biggest fear with Quinn, I take her to the park regularly but she will be nowhere near when in season!

if the dog was interested but not that keen then it is highly unlikely the bitch was ready.

you won't be able to miss Quinn when she's in unless she does have a silly season and they aren't that common.

If you want an idea on when she is most likely to come in ask your breeder what the female line is like. That's always a good guide. And it's not uncommon for bitches to not come in until they are older.