Books For Puppy Agility Foundation

I've got a long wait for my Aussie pup, and thinking I'll spend the next months reading up.

I hope to get into Obedience and Agility, I have done obedience before without trialing (a good 8 years ago when we HAD to use check chains :( ) but never agility. Is there any books you guys recommend for putting down a good foundation.

I would like to get the pup started with clicker training as I have used clicker training on zoo animals and I am always amazed that it can work on animals from tigers to wallabies! It must work wonders on dogs!

Also am I guessing correctly that pup will need to be crate trained in order to compete as an adult? Is it possible to crate train while having the dog outside while you are not at home? I would not feel comfortable having a dog crated while at uni/work when I have a very secure yard with plenty of grass and under cover areas with no poisonous plants for pup to get into.

I've still got a long wait but I like to be organised :)

crate training just means that your dog goes to the crate when you ask it to, and is comfortable there. It doesn't mean that you need to lock your dog there when you go out of the house. I don't - I'm away at work for 12 hours a day and there is no way I'd lock up a dog for that long.

Leaving your dog outside with shelter is a good way to go. That said, I have a dog door so that they don't need to be out in harsh weather.

In terms of books, I'd get:

* Control Unleashed: The Puppy Program (free shipping at the moment from cleanrun.com - you won't get a better deal anywhere). The focus is on avoiding problems and raising a well adjusted dog who can also compete in sports.

* The Focused Puppy (at cleanrun too, but no free shipping. A few places in Oz sell it so it might be worth doing a price comparison on booko.com.au).

* If you have the spare $ to spare, I'd buy the Michael Ellis range too. He is all about building a relationship with your dog, focus and motivation. Those are the things I'd focus on first, rather than worrying about "formal" training.

Thanks for the tips, I'll grab those clean run books next pay!

I tried looking for the Michael Ellis range but could only find videos, any idea where to get them from? I might go look in a book store within the hour.

Thats good to know about the crate training, everything I've read seems to say that the pup needs to be in it at all unsupervised times for toilet training confused.gif

But I have heard good things about 'Crate Games' I'll look into that as well.

And that makes me feel better that you have them for a pup you don't even have! Maybe I'm not too early after all! laugh.gif

Greg Derrett's Agility Foundation Training DVD has information on flatwork and other foundation exercises

Susan Garrett's Success With One Jump DVD has exercises you can do with one or no jumps - great for focus forward/obstacle focus and handling manouvres such as front and rear crosses, serpentines, threadles etc.

I think Susan Garrett is also going to release a DVD on body awareness exercises, some of them are really great, I have had access to them on her contact course.

Silvia Trkman has some DVDs which also look interesting, I haven't seen them yet though:

Tricks for Balance, Strength & Coordination

Ready-Steady-Go! 33 Tips for More Speed

Cik & Cap: The Easiest Way to Perfect Turns

Edited by Kavik

• 2 weeks later...