Odd Sleeping Spots

kayla1

It's up to us to provide sleeping spots for our pets that are soft and cosy, where they won't be tripped over, and where they can see what is going on around them. And to make them get out of the doorway if it means people or other pets are denied access.

Ha ha, must tell my 11 year old Chequers that she should prefer soft cosy bedding to the doorway! In her case it has nothing to do with guarding or seeing what is going on around them it is simply where she wants to be.

How do you know this? What do you think the advantage is to her sleeping in a door way?

Lots of dogs sleep in doorways, far more than it just being accountable to a random coincidence. There are reasons why some dogs choose to sleep in doorways at some times. But it's not unusual for the owners to be unaware of why they might be doing it.

In the same way that most people like to be in rooms with windows so they can see out, many dogs like to look out doorways - for them it's a window at dog height. Not odd or inexplicable, even if they can't talk to us and tell us why they chose that spot to rest.

I don't think there is any advantage for her sleeping in the doorway she chooses other than she finds it comfortable. It is an internal door where she cannot see anything and has nothing to guard. I believe she chooses the spot she chooses simply because it suits her for whatever reason, much like she has done in every aspect of her life.

As the senior dog in our household she has certain priviliges and one of them is that she is allowed to sleep where she chooses. Despite that soft cosy bedding is provided in a better position for her to see what is going on or where she could guard - which she does not do. Maybe I don't read her correctly but I don't need to analyse everything my dogs do. I'm happy to accept that is what they do and as long as we can all live with is all that matters. Have done pretty well for the last 40 years.

Guest donatella

I have a puppy who sleeps on my bed 100% of the time and a nearly 2 year old who sleeps on the bed in winter but in summer sleeps downstairs on the tiles at the bottom of the stairs.

I could definitely believe she was guarding being that she likes to think she's a rottweiler when it comes to that but I do think its mainly due to heat and the coolness of being on the tiles and the breeze from the open screen door.

Stan lays in the hallway just inside the door when we come home for a walk. His butt is facing the door so he's definately not watching the world go by or guarding anything that's just where he collapses after his strenuous workout....around the block :laugh:

Strenuous workout...he's probably saving up his energy for dinner. :laugh:

ETA Some great photos in this thread!

Edited by kayla1