Kennel Recs For Riley & Quinn In Sydney

Simply Grand

I'm going to Sydney (from Canberra) for four nights at the end of Feb for my sister's wedding :) I'm staying in a pet friendly b&b in Coogee and Saxon will stay with me but it will be too much have all three with me at the place so I need to put Riley (Sheltie) and Quinn (Aussie Shepherd) in kennels for the time.

I would like to take them to Sydney rather than have them somewhere in Canberra as if they get sick or something I don't really have anyone in Canberra who could check on them or get them out.

Can anyone recommend somewhere not too far out of the way when I'll be coming in from Canberra on the M5 to Coogee? Or even somewhere further out if it's really good.

Hanrob at Sydney Airport would be ideal location wise, but I'm wary of a large organization with a flashy website :( Has anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks all :)

The facility is about 20 kennels - 10ish on each side facing each other. It's all indoors so can be very loud. Runs have inbuilt beds (and they are too small for a giant breed) and last time I needed to use them you cannot take your own bedding and no toys etc either.

There is an outdoor area they let them all run around in.

I would not use it for 4 nights.

I was put off them as I specified my dog was to be kept quiet as he had a medical issue. Arrive to find he'd spent the day in the yard with other dogs. As soon as I saw him I noticed dirty drool and a smell that had not been there that morning when I dropped him off. Somehow he ended up with necrotic tissue on his tongue and we ended up at emergency vet have a section of his tongue removed.

Danios, that's awful, your poor boy :( There are a number of positive reviews on the net (which i take with a grain of salt) but the negative experience seem to be around dogs getting sick here and them not doing what they they do re feeding and updates.

I would be very worried about Riley running around with a bunch of other dogs as he can be snappy with younger dogs and i would hate for him to start a fight and get hurt, hurt another dog or spend the whole time stressed.

They say they offer individual exercise times (for a sizable fee) but I'm not sure I would trust them to take them out on their own (the two of them together).

My cousin uses Hanrob for her Ridgeback on a regular basis and has always been happy with her treatment. But she uses their larger facility.

On her recommendation, I sent my pup to the airport facility for an overnight stay the one occasion I needed him boarded. I don't know that I would recommend them. There is nothing specific that I could identify. He was pleased to see me and not too stressed. They had also taken good care of his shoulder which was recovering from an injury. On the other hand, they had fed him before I picked him up and he was so full he had no waist at all.

Edited by emgem

We used hanrob for our aussie shepherd at it always seemed fine- she always came back happy and healthy.

They did put her in with another dog though. At the time we thought this was good- she would have company, but now can see how unsafe it was.

I don't know if they've changed since then though- this was probably around 7-10 years ago

I have heard Petresorts is pretty good.

I know it's not quite the same, but I've used Hanrob in Heathcote who I was quite happy with. Most of the people I encountered there were such friendly people and clearly love what they do. Unfortunately he did get kennel cough, but they caught it in the very early stages and had him vet-checked and put on meds right away. They happily paid the vet bills since he is fully vaccinated from it!

For his first time being away from us for a fairly long period of time he seemed very stress-free and was his normal, excitable self when we picked him up. If you leave a comment on their Facebook page they'll update you on how your dog's doing and also upload photos of them. Or you can just ring :) haha.

Thank you katdogs, that's really nice!! Problem is Riley is quite a bully with puppies, and is temperamental in general. Quinn on the other hand is great with other dogs and looooves humans.

I really appreciate the offer and if I need to may ask you to take on Quinn, but I'll see if I can kennel them together first. :)

Maybe the Heathcote Hanrob is better than the Airport one? Those with not so great experiences, which was that at?

They are pretty robust, especially if they are in together, I do worry about Riley running loose with unknown dogs though, as I said he gets snappy and I manage him a lot when we're at the dog park. If I could be sure him and Quinn could have their exercise with just them and maybe some other confident adult dogs, with human supervision, they would be ok I think.

Oh, and I'd he happy to pay for the two of them to have running/play time alone together.

We use a place in Darkes Forest. It is just outside the southern outskirts of Sydney. You would have to head off the Hume early and come into Sydney from the south, which is unlikely to add much time to your journey. The lady who runs it is no nonsense, but has been in the business for a long time. Police dogs board there when their kennels at Menai are full. She also tipped us off to the place we now buy our meat for the dogs from. Thanks! Dogs don't get mixed unless you have dogs you have asked to have boarded together. Our boys stayed there for 9 days. When we picked them up they smelt a bit like kennels, but were otherwise clean and healthy and Erik had put on weight, undoubtedly from scoffing Kivi's food as well as his own.

I am involved with ADA adjacent to Hanrob in Heathcote. I wouldn't send my dogs to Hanrob.

Thanks wuffles :) The four nights are Wed to Sat, I'll be back on Sunday. I'd prefer not to leave them home alone for that long just in case, but it would be great to have them at your house. I just don't know if I can subject you to it!! Quinn hasn't outgrown her destructiveness quite yet and Riley's a barker :o

If it's ok with you I'll see how I go with kennels but keep you in mind as well?

There is no comparison between the 2 facilities. The airport one is very much for short visits.

Before the incident I used it when I did a day trip for work - drop off at 6am when they open and comfort that if my flight was cancelled etc then I did not have a dog shut in a house to worry.

Renbury is looking good :thumbsup: Looks like they put them out in separate grassed yards for exercise so they could run around together apart from the other dogs. And they can be in the kennel together and take a blanket/toy.

And the location and price are really good as well, conveniently :) I'll give them a call, thanks td.

Thank you all for the input :)