Border Collie Eye Weeping

Hey Guys,

I have a border collie about 6 months old. Just wanting some advice on what this might be and if i should get it looked at by a vet straight away.

I've noticed her eye has been weeping a little bit the last couple of days. I've cleaned it as it has gotten gunky but I've just noticed a tiny lump on it.

I do have another border collie a year older so i don't know if it's just been scratched in play or if it's the lump?

Let me know what you think, I've got her booked in for the vets this week.

Thanks in advance! :)

DSC_0015.jpg

Edited by border-collie4eva

Is that gunk or the lump?

Best to go to the vet with eyes. Our boy gets red, inflamed itchy eyes every Spring/Summer and we just go to the Vet for cream (Tricin I think).

I would be worried about a lump as it could be a grass seed or something so best check it out.

Meant to add I wouldn't freak and rush to the emergency vet, just take the dog in as soon as I could :)

Edited by Aussie3

From your pic it looks to me like the infection might be coming from The Lump, which is in the spot where the tear duct on the top eyelid would be.

Keep the eye clean and use mild saline (1/4 tsp to cup full of water) to bathe the area. Use a tissue/cotton ball and only swipe once then disgard so as not to reinfect the area.

Best wishes to your baby dog.....Vet visit in a day or two would be something I would do. :D

Looks a bit like conjunctivitis. Both my 2 had environmental conjunctivitis a few weeks ago (as in it was caused by something in the environment and then no doubt one gave it to the other!!). The lump looks like it could be adding to the problem, but what do I know I'm not a vet!!

I'm pretty sensitive about eyes just from past experience with my last BC so I tend to make sure things get looked at if they involve eyes, but like someone else said I wouldn't be rushing to the emergency vet! If you do get something over the counter at a chemist to treat conjunctivitis just make sure it is safe for use in dogs (google will help you more with this than the chemist, I taught my chemist a lot when I was getting stuff for my dog that was actually made for humans!!). Most eye products are ok for dogs but I have heard that there are a few that you shouldn't use in dogs because of some of the ingredients (apparently they do a lot of the animal testing of eye products on dogs so many of them can be used in both humans and dogs - my eye vet told me this which is also why she always wrote me scripts for human products for my dog!!).

I have checked previously with the vets when mine have had conjunctivitis. The general drops from the chemist are ok to use. If you are worried, about this, mild saline is good to keep it clean. Conjunctivitis is easily spread from one eye to another and from one animal to another. Make sure you wash your hands before patting the next dog or even touching your face.

Further to what PME said, What you do have to be careful with, is if the cornea has been scratched. I had this once with one of my 4-5 week pups. (EG: Common with small dogs, pups and dogs with bulging eyes. Especially when they are running through bushes/long grass). A certain type of drop should be used. Some drops are not good and should not be used in those circumstances. If this is the case, depending on the severity of the cut, you may see a film over the eye or the tear itself without using dye. If this is also the case, you do need to see a vet ASAP.