How Much Training Does Your Dog Get And Why?

How often do you train your dog?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you formally train your dog/s?

• I don't
    • Only at the obedience class I attend
    • Once a week
    • A few times a week
    • Daily
    • Several times daily
    • I only do incidental training
  2. 2. How long does a training session last?

• Up to 1 minute
    • Up to 5 minutes
    • 5-15 minutes
    • 15-30 minutes
    • 30-45 minutes
    • 45-60 minutes

Yes, it really does depend on the dog, doesn't it. They are all different & learn things at a varied pace. Sonny is a lot more aloof when it comes to learning anything new. Like I will learn it when I'm ready !!

Where as Miss Stella is like, "what do you want me to do", you show her & she has got it down, first time usually. Now I want to learn something else, hurry up !! We too are a few mins lesson, & lots of play straight after :)

Ideally, you should train your dog within 5-10 minutes. Any longer than that and you could just lose your dog's attention to particularly anything, so I stick to that. I train my dog every day but sometimes it would be every other day. But no matter when I train my dog, I always pay attention to the length of the training.

Ideally, you should train your dog within 5-10 minutes. Any longer than that and you could just lose your dog's attention to particularly anything, so I stick to that.

Surely that depends on the dog & what & how you train. I'm not in a habit of overworking my dogs & they may tire sometimes, but I can't remember the last time I ever lost their attention when I wanted it.

I also think losing attention can be caused by not rewarding frequently enough.

We train in agility at a club or other lesson at least once a week. Usually for an hour and up to 3hrs. Obviously there are short breaks in between exercises as well.

We've started doing some stregthing and awareness exercises but otherwise I don't do formal training at home

Depends on the dog.

Darcy my 7 yo gets training a few times a week, short sessions of a few mins x 2 to 3 reps if it's something I can train without agility gear. If I need to get agility gear out then I will push her and ask her for longer training sessions with rests in between. I easily get away with these longer sessions with her.

Zee 3 yo gets training several times as above, but she only gets super short training sessions of a minute of two with agility. Handy having the two girls to work for agility because I can alternate and give one a rest while working the other.

Bowie 9 weeks gets heaps of incidental training plus one to two more organised but super short training sessions a day. So heaps of play and fun recalls, IYC/CGs etc plus some fun shaping etc.

Saxon would happily train for hours as well, so long as he was getting rewarded frequently enough to make it worth his while. He learns quite quickly what I want him to do and offers behaviours so it's easier to have success with him and keep going while it's still fun.

Riley take longer to get things, and then to get them consistent so in order to end on a positive and keep him (and me) motivated and not frustated shorter sessions are better.

Quinn just gets bored easily if her brain isn't occupied so short session then a break then on to something else works quite well with her.

Most of my training is incidental except when club classes are running, then we obviously have the hour long class for each dog for each discipline they are doing and I try to do a structured 5-10 mins practice per day.

A lot of my training is weather and work dependant.

If it's not hot and I'm not working we can work on running or scootering.

If it's warm and I'm not working, something easier, a late walk, fetch or a swim.

If it's hot then no training whatsoever.

I've been making her work for her meals so there is some form of training every day.

Sometimes it's just in reward for for recalls or bringing back a ball. Sometimes its a few practice pulls with a light weight for weight pull ( trying to keep that super fun!)

And sometimes if she's already had tiring excercise she can just earn food from a toy..

I'm looking at ways to have a more structured and measured training approach... Yeah wish me luck :laugh: