Assistance Dogs Help

Moi

You can train your own dog and get them accredited, I haven't got the links on my phone but Google will tell you.

And if you haven't got the patience to wait an hour for a response, have you the patience to go through the training and accreditation process?

Edited by minimax

I have an acquaintance who had contact with someone who claimed he was working on setting up an organization in Australia allowing people to go through a training course with him then receive a vest for their dog stating it was an assistance dog (in this organization's case for mental health support). Turned out he had no legal grounding for any of it and there would not have been any legal grounds for enforcing access for these dogs. Luckily the person I know got out before she lost too much money but she dos lose some. Be careful :(

Thanks for the responses and thanks for the warning simply grand.

I have been googling quite a bit but I have found it's not exactly a black and white process to obtain info. There is a lot of info on how to get an already trained dog though.

Edited by Moi

I have been googling quite a bit but I have found it's not exactly a black and white process.

it's pretty simple. Your dog has to pass the tests. But it's not designed for people who just want to take their dogs everywhere with them, but those with genuine need for an assistance dog. And the majority of those people don't have the capabilities to train their own dog to that level.

I have been googling quite a bit but I have found it's not exactly a black and white process.

it's pretty simple. Your dog has to pass the tests. But it's not designed for people who just want to take their dogs everywhere with them, but those with genuine need for an assistance dog. And the majority of those people don't

have the capabilities to train their own dog to that level.

My only knowledge is based on what this acquaintance has told me (btw she's a fellow dog park regular who i've known for 3.5 years) and it isn't simple or black and white, just like you say Moi. I believe there are certain roles assistance dogs can be accredited for in various states/councils based on various training and accreditation and in the end it comes down to legislation. OH&S, Food

handling etc legislation is much more comprehensive than assistance dog legislation. Happy to stand corrected.

Hopefully you can find someone to accurately advise you on the type of assistance dog you are referring to :)

Edited by Simply Grand

The public access test is not easy for a dog to pass, and I believe they have to pass it every year. Most assistance dog organisations breed their own dogs and most of them don't make it to service dog. That may give you some indication of how hard it actually is. The training takes a long time and dedication, but even then you need a special kind of dog to make it.

There's someone at my dog obedience club who had her dog accredited through Mind Dog. We're in Canberra, and I know she goes up to Sydney for meetings with them. Her dog has been certified to travel on planes with her and such, so they must have some clout. I don't know much more, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a link to their website. Let me know if you'd like me to ask her more.

Yeah there is yearly training, I read that in the application form for an actual dog and the owner is expected to participate in the training.

Minimax - assistance dogs are given to people who can look after a dog as in walk, feed, vet care, training, control the dog when out, give firm commands etc etc.

Thanks cleo's corgwyn - mind dog doesn't apply to me, however it is good such an organization exists.

Edited by Moi

I'm interested if anyone has any knowledge of this as well and whether its possible for your own dog to be accredited as a Medical Alert assistance dog. I know it is in other countries, but when I looked into it a few years ago I found nothing in Australia. Would be great if you can now.

Hi,

Does anyone know about how you would get your own dog (future) trained to be an assistance dog (with full public access rights)?.

Yep, You need to contact an organisation, such as "Service Dog Training" in Victoria http://www.servicedogtraining.com.au/howitworks.php or K9 helpers in Brisbane http://www.caninehelpers.org.au/ or the like etc and follow the processes that they have in place to vet dogs and their handlers for eligibility.

Public access is not a simple thing as some dogs can access shopping malls but not planes and so on.

If you look at the list of accredited organisations below these are the ones who can give public access to board a plane (assuming disability requires company of the dog in the cabin).

In 2009 the QLD govt created the Guide, Hearing and assistance dog Act which has as part of it a Public access test that if a dog has passed it sees the dog's handler issued with a card that when shown to people denying service or discriminating in some other way because of the dog makes them liable for a fine of around $10,000 if they persist with the discrimination. This test is being used by the airlines now and so if you need an assistance animal with public access rights best to choose an accredited organisation. see below from Virgin. The federal law does stipulate that a person can train their own assistance dog to alleviate the effect of their disability but across the country there is a push to implement sets of consistent industry standards in assistance animal training and so using non-accredited methods and organisations is not a wise approach.

From Virgin Airlines:

Virgin Australia will only accept Assistance Dogs that have been appropriately trained, sufficient to pass a public access test by one of

the following organisations:

Animal Assisted Therapy Australia Inc.

Assistance Dogs Australia

Association of Australian Assistance Dogs (NQ) Inc

Australian Support Dogs Incorporated

Canine Partners as a Member of Assistance Dogs International

Registered Service Dogs Washington State USA (Business Licence #600236600)

Disability Aid Dogs

West Australian Assistance Dogs Inc.

Craig A Murray

Paws for Diabetics

Righteous Pups Australia

Canine Helpers for the Disabled Inc.

Leko McCulloch (Toto)

Hans Van Heesbeen - Service Dog Training (SDT)

Organisations must meet or exceed the minimum standards set by:

Assistance Dogs International, or

Queensland Guide Hearing and Assistance Dogs Act 2009

The owner of an Assistance Dog must carry a proof of identity card, showing the level of appropriate training attained, issued by one of

the organisations listed above.

All other animals must travel in the hold of the aircraft.

Assistance Dogs on International Long Haul Flights

Assistance Dogs are accepted on international long haul flights provided they meet the requirements of the registered organisations

below:

Animal Assisted Therapy Australia Inc.

Assistance Dogs Australia

Association of Australian Assistance Dogs (NQ) Inc.

Australia Support Dogs Incorporated

Canine Partners as a Member of Assistance Dogs International

Registered Service Dogs, Washington State Business License #600 236 600.

Guests who are accompanied by an Assistance Dog must carry documentary evidence of the Assistance Dog’s accreditation with one of

the above organisations.

What is a Guide Dog?

A Guide Dog accompanies/assists a person who has a vision or hearing impairment.

Guide Dogs on Domestic and International Short Haul Flights

Guide Dogs are permitted by law to accompany their handler in all public places, provided that they have the proper credentials as listed

Edited by bdierikx

Hi there. A friend of mine trainer her own assistance dog (medical alert dog for epilepsy) and had the dog accredited, I think it was through Assistance Dogs Australia but I can't quite remember whether it was definitely that org. I will find out for you.

Thanks for the info bdierikx - I had already emailed assistance dogs australia last night, so that is good to know about them. Another organisation I was looking into isn't listed above so would be pointless going with obviously. I am hoping they offer a service where they can check out the dog for suitability before I buy it. I was looking at buying a pup, but I may go for a 1 year old dog instead as its personality will be clear at that age. The dog will be a retriever. I need the dog to go everywhere they are allowed.

Lollipup - is the dog a fully accredited assistance dog or just a companion dog with medic alert training? And thanks.

Assistance Dogs Australia don't offer this service.

I'll email Luigi's owner I think. Thanks Minimax.

What a complicated business! And I can't find an actual service dog training org in NSW that provides training for you and your dog, other states yes.